Why you must carry on your person. - Page 2

Why you must carry on your person.

This is a discussion on Why you must carry on your person. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wise words Miggy. Agreed...You need to be able to get to it when you need it in order to use it....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Administrator
    Wise words Miggy. Agreed...You need to be able to get to it when you need it in order to use it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Man I am sorry for your loss. I too have been foloowing this on TV and it is just really strange. The truth is we may never know what happened those last few days. Of course if one of them had a gun on him it may have been different, but for all we know they were taken out in their sleep, remember they didn't know at the time who these two were. Did they find any weapons on the two in the life boat? What did they have with them? The Feds and Coast Guard are being really tight lipped about this.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Well stated.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    On your 'person' is important anytime...on a boat, in your car, or at home (for me)...
    One would/could be in just as much trouble when/if someone breaks in the front door and you're four rooms away from your weapon.

I don't think that this is overkill...in my home, my weapon is either on my person or on a table within my reach.

OMO...others may vary...

Same goes for me. Having a gun in some other room is way too far away if someone is breaking in the front door. If someone knocks on the door I don't want to have to go retrieve my gun to answer the knock, it is right there in my hand.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    El Crusr the fix for the harsh environment problem comes in the form of a polymer framed blaster duplicated by two and regularly swapped on a weekly basis.
    I'd rather spend twice as much on a single sidearm than save some coin and per chance lose everything.

- Janq
    I wish it was that easy. If you only serviced a polymer framed pistol that you wore on the deck of a boat in the tropics weekly the barrel, springs and other metal parts will be rusted by the end of the week. The salt water tropics are murder on weapons. Marinised shotguns are very popular because of that but you can't walk around your charter guests toting one, bad for business you know.

Most hard cores I knew in the tropics would coat their guns in Boeshield, swab the bore and then put it in a thin plastic bag. You could grab the gun, poke your finger through the guard and operate it.

On charter boats in the tropics I never knew a captain who even carried concealed as you really can't conceal it in typical tropical deck attire. Also very bad for business as it tends to scare too many guests and you're soon out of business. Another reason I stayed out of the business. It was bad enough dealing with the bare boat guests when I maintained a fleet in St. Thomas. I won't get started on the state of self defense and crime there, wrong place.

What we need is a good corrosion proof coating that can even coat bore and chamber, cylinders, springs et cetera. Mariners would be very interested in that! I've heard of a few who claimed they had it but it never seemed to pan out in the handgun world.

I agree that in an ideal world I am never unarmed. Right now I'm in a situation where I can be. At sea on a charter boat the rules dictated by climate and business put you at a very big disadvantage for self defense. It stinks but if you want to live and work in that world that's the reality. If you think that's a bad scenario try living in the "paradise" of the Caribbean Islands to windward of PR, or even the Bahama's.

I feel really bad for these people and their surviving relations. What stinks is that in that world it's very hard to impossible to be always armed. To a great degree from the idiocy of the people around you or the idiocy of the govt's that control the ports you work from. It is a very different world out there from life on land and you have to accept it or go back on shore. I wish it was different....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Events like this one are the reason why my wife and I quietly and VERY discreetly bring a handgun or two aboard the dive boat with us whenever we charter for overnight trips.

You just never know...

Brian

VIP Member
    It took me a while to "get a clue" about always carrying... I spent a good while today talking to a friend about that very topic. He had the "I'll carry when I think I might need it" mentality.

I suggested he could save some money if he cancelled all but 100 days a year of his insurance and just randomly pick those 100 days. He said, “thats stupid”! I said, “so is carrying only when you think you’ll need it”!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    I wish it was that easy. If you only serviced a polymer framed pistol that you wore on the deck of a boat in the tropics weekly the barrel, springs and other metal parts will be rusted by the end of the week. The salt water tropics are murder on weapons. Marinised shotguns are very popular because of that but you can't walk around your charter guests toting one, bad for business you know.

Most hard cores I knew in the tropics would coat their guns in Boeshield, swab the bore and then put it in a thin plastic bag. You could grab the gun, poke your finger through the guard and operate it.

On charter boats in the tropics I never knew a captain who even carried concealed as you really can't conceal it in typical tropical deck attire. Also very bad for business as it tends to scare too many guests and you're soon out of business. Another reason I stayed out of the business. It was bad enough dealing with the bare boat guests when I maintained a fleet in St. Thomas. I won't get started on the state of self defense and crime there, wrong place.

What we need is a good corrosion proof coating that can even coat bore and chamber, cylinders, springs et cetera. Mariners would be very interested in that! I've heard of a few who claimed they had it but it never seemed to pan out in the handgun world.

I agree that in an ideal world I am never unarmed. Right now I'm in a situation where I can be. At sea on a charter boat the rules dictated by climate and business put you at a very big disadvantage for self defense. It stinks but if you want to live and work in that world that's the reality. If you think that's a bad scenario try living in the "paradise" of the Caribbean Islands to windward of PR, or even the Bahama's.

I feel really bad for these people and their surviving relations. What stinks is that in that world it's very hard to impossible to be always armed. To a great degree from the idiocy of the people around you or the idiocy of the govt's that control the ports you work from. It is a very different world out there from life on land and you have to accept it or go back on shore. I wish it was different....
    ElCruisr,

For corrosion resistance I would say the best in the industry would be Robbie Barrkman at Robar! http://www.robarguns.com/

Robbie is a gunner who has developed cutting edge coating and plating for the aerospace industry and has applied them quite effectively to the gun industry.

My best bet would be a stainless .357 revolver sent to him for custom plating of all parts internal and external with his NP3 coating or whatever he recommends. Then you'll have about as best as you can get to fight the elements.

Our NP3 and Roguard coatings are the best protection available for your firearm, backed by a lifetime guarantee against corrosion, peeling or flaking...

Our precision rifles are deployed throughout the world, from the sands of Iraq to the tropics of SE Asia. Whether for self defense or competition, Robar's custom firearm packages and gunsmithing services give your rifle, pistol or shotgun a new level of reliability, accuracy and functionality.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Bark'n, I've checked them out but here is a quote from them

"We do not finish the inside of the barrels or chambers, springs, sears, small pins or plungers."

Still leaves an oil coated weapon in a plastic bag so far. This is a bit of a thread drift but hits very close to me as we are rebuilding a boat right now to eventually return to a water borne life. Looking for that ultimate solution still.....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    What I haven't figured out is did they want the boat, or what? And if so why charter one then try to hijack it and leave it to be caught in a lifeboat? These guys must be plenty stupid.

Just curious...how are CCW laws affected when out at sea? Who has jurisdiction when inside territorial waters and when outside territorial waters. How do state laws figure in?

State laws cover state waters. Once outside of them but in federal waters then federal laws and enforcement. Once you're in international waters only international laws but you can still get boarded by feds any time, any where.

This presents serious problems to coastal cruisers who want to pass through areas like NJ, NY or MA in sheltered waters.

On the body, all the time. That is the only realistic way to have a timely defensive chance with a gun. In addition, you simply do not have full control of your weapon if it is not on you. My thoughts anyway.
    This was a terrible event!!

State laws cover state waters. Once outside of them but in federal waters then federal laws and enforcement.
    How far does "State" waters extend out?...because Territorial (aka Federal) waters extend out only 12 nautical miles (24,000 yrds).

Is there a federal statue covering concealed weapons while in Federal waters?

i jst started to wear my gun on me always. a lot of people make fun and call me rambo but i will be ready whn time comes.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links