Why worry about "imprint" or show - Page 2

Why worry about "imprint" or show

This is a discussion on Why worry about "imprint" or show within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The vast majority of the people around here carry concealed because they want their firearm concealed from view to the general public. They prefer that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why worry about "imprint" or show

Administrator
    The vast majority of the people around here carry concealed because they want their firearm concealed from view to the general public.
    They prefer that it be hidden and they prefer that it remain their own private business until such time as it is needed for self~defense.

Most of us are the type of folks that when we do something we strive to do it right.
    So for us "concealed" means properly concealed according to the definition of the word concealed which means kept out of sight.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member
    I'am going to approach this from a different angle. I have a retail store, and I would welcome CCW, but I also need to be concerned about what my other customers are comfortable with and if they feel safe stopping in, they may not like guns, so why agitate them. If I respect your right to carry CCW in my store, then do your job to keep it concealed. EVERYONES happy then.

2nd Amendment

Stupid law that forces concealed only. Reason to hassle the carry permit holder. In MN, carry either way. Most do concealed but no need for paranoia over printing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase2b View Post
    If your state allows "open" carry, why do some worry about imprinting or accidently showing their rig when carrying concealed?
    As Virgina, Ohio and other places are showing, the psychotic nature of such laws ends up doing one thing: criminalizing benign acts by upstanding citizens for the purpose of population control. And, on the criminal end of the wringer, one has a rough road to walk no matter how you slice it. That's enough for me. Out of sight ... out of mind. For me, it's better that way.

As for "paranoia" over printing, it's to keep sheep from becoming werewolves in an instant, once they realize they see a gun. In some places it's as sad as that. It's not paranoia. It's current reality. Sad but true.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Mississippi does not allow open carry.

First, it's nobody else's business that I carry. I do it for self-preservation and I am not the law, so I would be reluctant to step in the middle of something (other than being a good witness).

After reading the recent thread from the guy in TN that was open-carrying and got rousted by a yahoo cop outside a Wal-mart, that stuff confirms my decision to conceal.

As another member in this forum signs off "Always carry-never tell."

Words to live by!

VIP Member
    I prefer not to give away my tactical advantage!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

No one should know I am armed until the instant I decide to make it known. There are many scenarios where the best course of action is to keep it in the holster. If no one else knows, no one can say "You have a gun, do something!"

To me, anyone that OC's is looking for attention..kinda like the "Little Ceasar" complex.."Hey, look at me! I'm a big man now, I have a gun on me! One of these days I am going to be a cop when I grow up!" Concealed is the KEY word..as most everyone has said here, best not to be the one to be focused on. Not even my close friends know I carry..I do not want anyone to know, but thats just me.

Administrator
    That would not be a fair or valid assumption to make about everyone that carries open. In some locals that is their only option.
    Other folks just have a difference of opinion concerning certain personal perceived advantages for open carry of a firearm that have nothing to do with delusions of grandeur or having any sort of complex. Let's try not to paint folks with an unfair broad brush.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    To me, anyone that OC's is looking for attention..kinda like the "Little Ceasar" complex.."Hey, look at me! I'm a big man now, I have a gun on me! One of these days I am going to be a cop when I grow up!" Concealed is the KEY word..as most everyone has said here, best not to be the one to be focused on. Not even my close friends know I carry..I do not want anyone to know, but thats just me.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    Mississippi does not allow open carry.
    Wow, that's new to me. When I lived there from '96-'99, open carry was legal. From what I understand, the state constitution allows open carry but it has become ambiguious because of the wording in more recent legistlative law.
    http://www.opencarry.org/ms.html

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

SEC. 45-9-101. License to carry concealed pistol or revolver.

(18) Nothing in this section shall be construed to require or allow the registration, documentation or providing of serial numbers with regard to any firearm. Further, nothing in this section shall be construed to allow the open and unconcealed carrying of any deadly weapon as described in Section 97-37-1, Mississippi Code of 1972.

Without getting into "Open vs Concealed", the original question was about printing or showing, while carrying concealed, and why should one worry about it.

Short answer: it shows lack of situational awareness and weapon consciousness. You have a neon T shirt saying "Food, with High Value Merchandise On-Board", when this happens.

If you can't be bothered with being unconsciously-conscious of your weapon, 1) you aren't taking it seriously, 2) you haven't practiced enough with your carry/dress mode for the combo to be effective. If it happens once it is an accident, twice is a choice.

It might be "legal" to print or flash, in an OC state, but I've never carried a weapon for the sole purpose of complying with law.

F4i
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase2b View Post
    If your state allows "open" carry, why do some worry about imprinting or accidently showing their rig when carrying concealed?
    Is it just a matter of being courteous to the general public?
    Personally, I'd rather carry concealed (as I do).
    Probably already been said a bunch of times, but I didn't read every post. I make every effort to conceal because my state doesn't say one way or the other about open carry. "Technically", I guess it is permitted since there's nothing banning it, but I don't want to be a test case.

Also, the whole "keep the tactical advantage on my side" regarding the bad guys. Even when I travel to AZ (open carry legal), I still conceal 100% to avoid some libtard from CA or snow bird calling the 911 because of a "man with a gun in public". Sounds like a good way to ruin a perfectly good day.

If you're going to CC then do what is necessary to ensure that no one else knows.

Like I always say, when you carry your gun exposed it tends to stir up trouble. Why advertise and loose the advantage of surprise. If the BG knows you are armed it is much easier to surprise you and take the gun away from you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links