Why worry about "imprint" or show

This is a discussion on Why worry about "imprint" or show within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If your state allows "open" carry, why do some worry about imprinting or accidently showing their rig when carrying concealed? Is it just a matter ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If your state allows "open" carry, why do some worry about imprinting or accidently showing their rig when carrying concealed?
    Is it just a matter of being courteous to the general public?
    Personally, I'd rather carry concealed (as I do).

Even if Denver did not have a ban on open carry I would still carry concealed and do my best to not print because it's just bad tactics to let someone who is intent on doing you harm know that you are armed.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Assistant Administrator
    Welcome Chase

Just to mention - we concentrate on concealed here and so hope this thread will not go the way of many in the past where it becomes a duel between open vs concealed.

Everyone has their views on the merits and demerits of each but IMO anyways - concealed 100% is ideal. It can save a lot of potential hassles.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've mentioned this in another thread, but I think it depends on the context.

If you are at work or somewhere you go to often, you often don't even want anyone to guess. For example, where I work it is not illegal to carry, but it is against company policy. I see the same people day in day out -- I don't want to even give a hint as a potential outcome could be losing my job.

When in casual public environments, I don't think would be horrible if they could tell you had something under your clothing as long as it wasn't too suggestive of what it was. Could be a phone, multitool, etc.

But personally I think it would be in poor taste to print to the point where it was fairly clear what you were carrying.

And as others have said, there is no benefit of others knowing you are carrying, even if they guess.

-john

I carry concealed also, but in my State I don't have to be so paranoid if I have a slip.
    I know in some States it could lead to trouble such as "brandishing" or what not.
    Just my thought on the subject.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

+1

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    I've mentioned this in another thread, but I think it depends on the context.

If you are at work or somewhere you go to often, you often don't even want anyone to guess. For example, where I work it is not illegal to carry, but it is against company policy. I see the same people day in day out -- I don't want to even give a hint as a potential outcome could be losing my job.

When in casual public environments, I don't think would be horrible if they could tell you had something under your clothing as long as it wasn't too suggestive of what it was. Could be a phone, multitool, etc.

But personally I think it would be in poor taste to print to the point where it was fairly clear what you were carrying.

And as others have said, there is no benefit of others knowing you are carrying, even if they guess.

-john

Well said bzdog. You saved me a lot of keying, thanks.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I think it's a good idea that the public not know you carry a weapon.

I have heard a story of a LEO that went to a Conv. store in and out of uniform on a regular basis. One day he walked in out of uniform in the middle of an armes robbery. The clerk said "My God, your a cop, do something!". The cop was shot and killed before he even knew what was happening.

If you are suprised in a situation, and someone says, you carry a gun, do something, you will become target #!.
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

I can Open Carry Here...That's Not the Point

It's not a permit to attempt to conceal a weapon. It's a permit to carry a concealed weapon. The very specific description spells-out that the Permit Holder will be successful in their attempt. Why invite added scrunity, attract undo attention, or impose unnecessary distress on the faint-hearted? I take it as a matter of common sense, tactical advantage, personal responsibility & simple courtesy to keep my decision to be armed to myself. If for no other reason but BECAUSE that option is legally available to me.

I see it as kinda' like a woman's right to breast-feed her baby in public. Sure she CAN! But there are so many MORE reasons why she wouldn't make a open performance of the event as to normally motivate nursing mothers to be more..., uh, discrete. The reasons I DON'T want to print or flash my weapon far outweigh the possible reasons why I MIGHT want to.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    If you are carrying concealed then you want it to be concelaed. Your attitude towards concealability should not dimish just because there is an OC law.

If your are concealing then do it properly and don't plan on using the OC card if something happens. Same goes for the unlicensed OC carrier. It would be equally important for him to make sure that his firearm is not concealed. It's either or, not both.

All that being said, we all have slip ups and expose unknowingly. It is nice to live in a state that has some lienancy. In KY OC is legal. They tend not to beat you up for a slip up.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by CorpsVet View Post
    I think it's a good idea that the public not know you carry a weapon.

I have heard a story of a LEO that went to a Conv. store in and out of uniform on a regular basis. One day he walked in out of uniform in the middle of an armes robbery. The clerk said "My God, your a cop, do something!". The cop was shot and killed before he even knew what was happening.

If you are suprised in a situation, and someone says, you carry a gun, do something, you will become target #!.
    The story was told by Mas Ayoob on one of the Personal Defense segments. A good example of why it's not a good idea to be easily identified as a good guy who carrys a gun.

BGR
    Here in Montana open carry is legal, although you rarely see anyone carry open. I carry concealed but I don't worry if it is seen.
    Join the NRA no excuses!

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!

While I"m glad TN have a "handgun carry permit" and allows OC, I'm of a mind to keep concealed. The GOOD thing about TN law is it protects us from what I call Walmart Brandishing:
    (you reach for the paper towels on the top rack and your junk becomes uncovered for a moment.Someone sees it and runs screaming into the night looking for a cop to give you a Glock ear inspection)
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Welcome Chase

Just to mention - we concentrate on concealed here and so hope this thread will not go the way of many in the past where it becomes a duel between open vs concealed.

Everyone has their views on the merits and demerits of each but IMO anyways - concealed 100% is ideal. It can save a lot of potential hassles.
    Thanks to all for the great replies. I always carry concealed. But I am very open minded and ALWAYS ask questions when I don't understand something. I had just discovered that you could OC here in PA (not that I ever would), but it just raised some questions in my mind as to "imprint" worry or even why some do carry OC.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeAngel View Post
    Even if Denver did not have a ban on open carry I would still carry concealed and do my best to not print because it's just bad tactics to let someone who is intent on doing you harm know that you are armed.
    If I'm ever involved in a SHTF situation I hope there is some fool in the crowd who will draw the bad guy's fire by advertising his weapon in advance.

i have the misfortune of everybody that works at the conveiniance store i frequent(both employees that is) know i normaly carry. they grew up with me and sometimes got to airsoft games with me. but if they say anything about a gun as im entering the store i immediatly dive for cover(it happened once)
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links