Defensive Carry banner

Just another reason to carry or own a weapon

2K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  dhberry 
#1 ·
State Police in York, PA take over 2 hours to respond to a burglary in progress inside a home.

http://www.wgal.com/video/14217419/index.html

I would say that is a bit rediculous. Get a gun and learn how to use it. The police cannot be relied on for protection.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
Thoughts are basically that it matters not whether response time is 2 minutes or two hours - in many cases there might be a dead victim regardless. That is why it is wise to be armed and able to deal with a situation fast - assuming that is there is no option for avoidance by retreat.

York is large enough that at any given time the cops can be well tied up with many coincident events ... plus even traffic conditions. I reckon responses are usually made as fast as extant circumstances allow but - sometimes this means a long time.

We as ever must be taking responsibility for our own well being.

#4 ·
Exactly!

There was a woman killed by an ex recently on a campus in I think WA state. The campus police were there in a matter of minutes, truly record time, but it was still minutes too late. As Chris said we must take responsibility for our own safety.

#3 ·
Ask an office that has been one for 40 years if he has ever prevented a crime before it happened. My guess if he has he will be able to count the number of times on one hand. They respond AFTER the fact in general. Never rely on police for prevention. However, you can rely on them to scrap you up off the ground and hand you over to the coroner. Again AFTER the fact. How in the world would anyone not in the general area of the crime being committed at the time prevent it from happening? I love the folks that say why do you need protection just get an alarm and dial 911. Makes me wanna break into Rosie O'donnells house one night at 3 AM and grab her and shake violently screaming: "I bet you wish you had a gun now!!" /end rant

#6 ·
its always wise to have an active defense(ccw) to backup your passive(911) just like in computing you have antivirus instead of just backups.

#7 ·
For us folks that live out in the country, we have no visions of quick police (sheriff's dept here) response time. They do a good job and are competent, our parish is big, and we could get lucky and they'd be 5 minutes away, but more than likely, 30+ minutes away. We are the first responders for ourselves.

If time and opportunity permits I don't have a problem with me or my wife calling 911 and get someone rolling, there's nothing like having some back-up on the way. If I don't have time to call, I'll call them after it's all over. :smile:

#8 ·
I was robbed at the bank I worked at in 2003. I got a hold message from 911 telling me not to hang up. When the dispatcher came on she was rude. That was another few minutes. Then the cops showed up about 12 minutes later. Then the security company that monitors our panic buttons called back after the FBI was on the scene. Dont ever depend on anyone else to protect you.

#13 ·
And now the news has told all the would-be BG's where to go! :aargh4:

#14 ·
I lived in Los Angeles before I was old enough to carry (not that CA would have given me a permit...) and on two occasions I got a busy signal when I dialed 911. No one is more responsible for your own protection than you are.

#15 ·
remember boys and girls.... "When seconds count... the police are still minutes away!"

Everyone has a god given right to defend their life by any means necessary and we have a moral responsibilty to be responsible for our own safety until such time that the police can respond.

I would certainly rather have to police handle any and all situations if possible. LESS HASSLES FOR ME! Legally and emotionally.

But I am fully prepared and willing to employ force, including lethal force on a moments notice to do what needs to be done, and take responsibility for what happens.

#16 ·
One guy came up with a great solution.

At bedtime his wife told him he forgot to turn off the light in their shed, which was in the back of the house. He looked out and saw several guys burglarizing the shed. He called 911 and they said they had no cars available but would come out when they could.

He waited a few minutes, all the while the BG's are carrying stuff out of his shed. He then called back and told him they did not need to hurry as he had shot all six BG's.

Within seconds there were patrol cars, ambulances the whole nine yards and they caught the BG's.

A Cop said to the guy, "I thought you said you shot them!" The guy responded with, "I thought you said you didn't have any cars available."

When seconds count, the Police are only minutes away!

#24 ·
One guy came up with a great solution.
... He then called back and told him they did not need to hurry as he had shot all six BG's.

Within seconds there were patrol cars, ambulances the whole nine yards and they caught the BG's.
While it's a cute chuckle-story, Puppy, I have to suspect that that's all it is. I don't imagine that this is a true one. It's just good for a laugh about the notion that the cops get there in time.

I suspect also that if one were to try that, he could end up being charged with falsely reporting an incident, which is illegal. What if the guy pulled that stunt, and the cops arrived thinking there were six dead badguys, and instead got surprised by six living, armed badguys?

#18 ·
Self defense in itself is reactive, and police react as soon as possible, but they are not right there at that moment with you. Some people can not work around this logic, and they are the captains of industry, media, and higher learning. And to think some people consider them to be smart.

#19 ·
One of the first little speeches I gave to the "rookies" at the academy was: "Forget that word 'Protect' on your vehicle; all we usually get to do is clean up the mess and try to figure out who did it!" I'd inevitably get someone in the class who would disagree, and then I would ask them if they had ever intervened in a situation so as to actually prevent the crime, or perhaps even catch the "perp" in the commission? Rare indeed was the positive answer. I would make that statement in order to reinforce them in their responsibility to PAY ATTENTION while on patrol and in the public. By the very definition of their duties, rarely does an officer get the opportunity to engage the "bad guys" before they can act! Just another reason why CCW has to be one of the options available to the law-abiding public. God bless. "Non Illigitimum Carborundum"

#20 ·
If I could afford my own personal body guard or police officer to protect me at all times, I would, but I can't. Instead I paid a one time fee of 800 dollars for a pistol, training, and a license to carry. You alone are responsible for your own safety and protection, nobody else.

I do plan to further my training in the future, but it's going to cost alot of money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.