Just another reason to carry or own a weapon

This is a discussion on Just another reason to carry or own a weapon within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; State Police in York, PA take over 2 hours to respond to a burglary in progress inside a home. http://www.wgal.com/video/14217419/index.html I would say that is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just another reason to carry or own a weapon

Just another reason to carry or own a weapon

State Police in York, PA take over 2 hours to respond to a burglary in progress inside a home.

http://www.wgal.com/video/14217419/index.html

I would say that is a bit rediculous. Get a gun and learn how to use it. The police cannot be relied on for protection.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Thoughts are basically that it matters not whether response time is 2 minutes or two hours - in many cases there might be a dead victim regardless. That is why it is wise to be armed and able to deal with a situation fast - assuming that is there is no option for avoidance by retreat.

York is large enough that at any given time the cops can be well tied up with many coincident events ... plus even traffic conditions. I reckon responses are usually made as fast as extant circumstances allow but - sometimes this means a long time.

We as ever must be taking responsibility for our own well being.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ask an office that has been one for 40 years if he has ever prevented a crime before it happened. My guess if he has he will be able to count the number of times on one hand. They respond AFTER the fact in general. Never rely on police for prevention. However, you can rely on them to scrap you up off the ground and hand you over to the coroner. Again AFTER the fact. How in the world would anyone not in the general area of the crime being committed at the time prevent it from happening? I love the folks that say why do you need protection just get an alarm and dial 911. Makes me wanna break into Rosie O'donnells house one night at 3 AM and grab her and shake violently screaming: "I bet you wish you had a gun now!!" /end rant

Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Thoughts are basically that it matters not whether response time is 2 minutes or two hours - in many cases there might be a dead victim regardless. That is why it is wise to be armed and able to deal with a situation fast - assuming that is there is no option for avoidance by retreat.

York is large enough that at any given time the cops can be well tied up with many coincident events ... plus even traffic conditions. I reckon responses are usually made as fast as extant circumstances allow but - sometimes this means a long time.

We as ever must be taking responsibility for our own well being.

There was a woman killed by an ex recently on a campus in I think WA state. The campus police were there in a matter of minutes, truly record time, but it was still minutes too late. As Chris said we must take responsibility for our own safety.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Agreed P95.

911 and police response are always reactive and behind the time clock.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

its always wise to have an active defense(ccw) to backup your passive(911) just like in computing you have antivirus instead of just backups.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

VIP Member
    For us folks that live out in the country, we have no visions of quick police (sheriff's dept here) response time. They do a good job and are competent, our parish is big, and we could get lucky and they'd be 5 minutes away, but more than likely, 30+ minutes away. We are the first responders for ourselves.

If time and opportunity permits I don't have a problem with me or my wife calling 911 and get someone rolling, there's nothing like having some back-up on the way. If I don't have time to call, I'll call them after it's all over.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I was robbed at the bank I worked at in 2003. I got a hold message from 911 telling me not to hang up. When the dispatcher came on she was rude. That was another few minutes. Then the cops showed up about 12 minutes later. Then the security company that monitors our panic buttons called back after the FBI was on the scene. Dont ever depend on anyone else to protect you.

Administrator
    No other person cares quite as much about you as you should care about you.
    Be prepared to save your own life.
    Things usually work out better that way.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Some people will ALWAYS be sheep.

we shouldn't rely on "911"... but I know I can rely on "1911"

Quote Originally Posted by bacchus99 View Post
    <snip>
    I love the folks that say why do you need protection just get an alarm and dial 911. Makes me wanna break into Rosie O'donnells house one night at 3 AM and grab her and shake violently screaming: "I bet you wish you had a gun now!!" /end rant

Brian

VIP Member
    And now the news has told all the would-be BG's where to go!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I lived in Los Angeles before I was old enough to carry (not that CA would have given me a permit...) and on two occasions I got a busy signal when I dialed 911. No one is more responsible for your own protection than you are.
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

remember boys and girls.... "When seconds count... the police are still minutes away!"

Everyone has a god given right to defend their life by any means necessary and we have a moral responsibilty to be responsible for our own safety until such time that the police can respond.

I would certainly rather have to police handle any and all situations if possible. LESS HASSLES FOR ME! Legally and emotionally.

But I am fully prepared and willing to employ force, including lethal force on a moments notice to do what needs to be done, and take responsibility for what happens.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links