Lansing Convention Center, legal to CCW?

This is a discussion on Lansing Convention Center, legal to CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any Michiganders from the Lansing area know if it's legal to carry at the Lansing Convention Center down off Grand Ave?...

Thread: Lansing Convention Center, legal to CCW?

Any Michiganders from the Lansing area know if it's legal to carry at the Lansing Convention Center down off Grand Ave?

I think it falls into the 2500+ category. It sounds big enough from their website. However, if the seating capacity is not marked, or it's a small event, you may be in the clear. I'm sorry if I haven't answered your question; I've probably just gone through some of what you've already been thinking.

28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to subsection (1); violation.

Sec. 5o.

(1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that has a sign above each public entrance stating in letters not less than 1-inch high a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals.
    Edit;
    If you're going to the Michigan Antiquarian Book & Paper Show to be held in Hall C the Max Exhibition space is 2100. (although it is a variable configuration building.) After searching a bit, I found the link to the Specs/possible configurations of the building/meeting rooms for the Lansing Center on the Grand River in Lansing.
    http://www.lansing.org/members.cfm?S...itiesAndHotels <==========click on Pictures/Specs under the photo of the building.

Yeah, what Dtown said.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Thanks, guys. You're the best. At least I have some ways to snoop around for facts and figures now. I appreciate your digging for me.

Did some more snooping. Apparently, the event I'm attending has been assigned "banquet rooms 1-8", whatever that means. Sounds like we're probably over the threshhold number, huh.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCartwright View Post
    Did some more snooping. Apparently, the event I'm attending has been assigned "banquet rooms 1-8", whatever that means. Sounds like we're probably over the threshhold number, huh.
    Not sure...you could call and ask for the capacity of each room. In any case, if you decide that it is legal and you do carry: Keep that sucker well concealed. Not so much about inciting a panic, but there is some controversy about the 2500 rule. Some would say that if the entire building can possible seat 2500 or more, then its a no-go. Some would say that only banquet rooms 1-8 count towards that. I tend to think that is the entire facility, but I aint no lawyer. Nor would I want to be debating this with the cops while my wife dances with my boss or something. Even if you are legal if they aren't sure they could just take your gun, lock you up for the weekend, and let the prosecuter sort it out on monday. Take care,

Lloyd
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

you guys in MI need to get rid of that stupid law--why do you have it?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Not sure...you could call and ask for the capacity of each room. In any case, if you decide that it is legal and you do carry: Keep that sucker well concealed. Not so much about inciting a panic, but there is some controversy about the 2500 rule. Some would say that if the entire building can possible seat 2500 or more, then its a no-go. Some would say that only banquet rooms 1-8 count towards that. I tend to think that is the entire facility, but I aint no lawyer. Nor would I want to be debating this with the cops while my wife dances with my boss or something. Even if you are legal if they aren't sure they could just take your gun, lock you up for the weekend, and let the prosecuter sort it out on monday. Take care,

Lloyd
    The same question was raised on another thread about multi-screen movie theatres in Michigan. I don't think, but am not positive, that this question has been definitively answered, so, as was suggested, if you do decide to carry, please do be very careful about keeping your gun concealed. My best guess would be that the law will be construed to cover the entire complex, not just the rooms you will be in.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

The following quote is about a park w/ a band being an entertainment facility. Attorney General Opinion # 7120

A reading of all the words contained in section 5o(1)(f) of the Act supports the conclusion that the Legislature intended that the term "entertainment facility" constitute a structure or building that has a known seating capacity of 2,500 or more persons, or that has signs above each public entrance stating that the facility has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more persons. Since the Legislature has not required that an entertainment facility be totally self-enclosed, such a facility could consist of a bandshell, amphitheater, or similar structure, provided it has the required, known seating capacity noted above or has appropriate signage above each public entrance indicating a seating capacity of 2,500 or more. This reading of section 5o(1)(f) is supported by the legislative history of 2000 HB 4530, enacted as 2000 PA 231. Both House Legislative Analyses, HB 4530, June 8, 1999, and January 4, 2001, state that HB 4530 would "[p]rohibit a licensee from carrying a concealed weapon in certain public places, such as a school, theater, sports arena, library, or hospital." There is no mention in either bill analysis that an outdoor recreation park, by itself, would constitute a gun-free zone. It is appropriate to rely on the legislative history because of the ambiguity in the statutory language. Luttrell v Dep't of Corr, 421 Mich 93, 103; 365 NW2d 74 (1985).
    The Convention center is an entertainment facility that is totally self-enclosed.

I am not the Attorney General, and I didn't stay at the Holiday Inn last night.

Links