OWB Paddle holsters

This is a discussion on OWB Paddle holsters within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I started to carry last fall, I have always carried on some kind of IWB rig. I recently bought a Fobus paddle holster for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OWB Paddle holsters

OWB Paddle holsters

Since I started to carry last fall, I have always carried on some kind of IWB rig. I recently bought a Fobus paddle holster for my 1911 for range & training use. What do you think about concealed carry with OWB paddle holsters?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Dirk - I used a Fobus paddle for ages with my P95 - tho no longer use that as a carry piece. It suited me very well actually, despite folks saying how difficult it was to disengage gun for a draw. No problem - it just meant what I call an ''inertial'' draw - very brisk - then no problem. Another bonus was exact placement of rig regardless of belt loops.

I never got on with IWB so OWB all the way - and after P95 switched to snub - M85 and then my SP-101 ... and having found a great hi-ride belt slide from originally Jim Burke (pics on the thread about rigs for SP-101 - Here - have stayed with leather. Now it's SIG 226 in a nice leather rig by K&D Holsters.

I have Fobus still available - for P95, P97, BHP and also IIRC for my SW99. I would still use one and from choice it'd be the paddle - but leather just wins the contest, maybe most cos I can get a higher ride.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

It seems like it would be ideal actually. Put it anywhere on the waist line, easy on easy off.

The problem I have is that these things print on me like a mint. I prefer a lower ride myself and don't find them hard to draw from any more, but I used to have a hard time.

IMHO if you lived somewhere where the climate was cooler and you could wear a heavy cover garment year round it might work.

Mine see range use only. I'm 6ft tall and weigh 160lbs, so they pretty much suck when it comes to concealment for me, just about any OWB does. Two of mine are the rotos, so that makes it worse.

I my build would allow it, I'd use them for CC without thinking twice. However I do think the plastic, er, kydex, holsters from Uncle Mike's are better.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    The one negative with the Fobus and other kydex holsters in that price point is that they can be broken very easily in a gun grab situation. I have a couple of Fobus paddles and one of their belt holsters. I also have an Uncle Mike's kydex paddle holster. You might want to look into Comp-Tac, Blade-Tech, or Sidearmor if you want to stay with Kydex. There are lots of great leather paddle holsters out there.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Dirkster:
    I carried my 1911 IWB for years and liked it. One day I tried a buddies paddle holster and I was hooked. Comfy and as stated you can stick it anyplave on your waist. Now comes the hard part. I was at a gun show and the guy asked my to try a bikini holster. The angles sang. The choir assembled. Light, adjustable and almost like not having a holster.

But that's my take. Everybody is different. Soon you'll have a drawer full of holsters just like all of us.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I like Uncle Mike's. It doesn't have the "breakage" issues that the Fobus has, and the paddle is designed for positive retention on the draw so you're not pointing your holster at the target.

I use the fobus for ccw and I like the retention, you just snatch it out when ready to use it.I am not worried about a gun grab,I prefer concealment,it keeps the GFW situation at bay.they also grip pistols differently,like on the HK USP 45 it holds to me loosely,it stays put but comes out easily.and the opposite is walther p99.I DO have to snatch it out or it wants to stay in.

Lead Moderator
    I like my Fobus roto. Angle adjustable . Only real problem is printing, as I am a skinny guy, and it sticks out. Good for winter carry though.

Thumbs up

I have many holsters for many guns, mostly in leather which I strongly prefer. I like Alessi's work best so far as to leather goods.

However, I decided to try something different for my Glock 30 and an OWB was what I wanted and I wanted to keep it inexpensive. I just received my Galco Matrix (somewhat similar to Alessi's CQC-S but in polymer) and I really like it. I've never warmed up to my IWB for the G30, a Sidearmor. The quality of the Sidearmor is fine, I just don't care for Kydex IWBs as they are not very comfortable for me.

The clincher is the price...around $20 bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach S
    Mine see range use only. I'm 6ft tall and weigh 160lbs, so they pretty much suck when it comes to concealment for me, just about any OWB does.
    I'm same height and 100lbs+ more, I've carried concealed with my fobus many time with an unbuttoned shirt or light jacket over it. Can quite swing it with a Polo but with the right garment it works great. It's a nice break from the IWB when I can get away with it. Guess alot depends on how you are built and how you dress. For <$20 it is worth it to get one and try out.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty
    I'm same height and 100lbs+ more, I've carried concealed with my fobus many time with an unbuttoned shirt or light jacket over it. Can quite swing it with a Polo but with the right garment it works great. It's a nice break from the IWB when I can get away with it. Guess alot depends on how you are built and how you dress. For <$20 it is worth it to get one and try out.
    I've used the Fobus at times, but I bought a Blackhawk with adjustable cant. I like it better because of the cant. I don't think that the Blackhawk fits any closer the body than the Fobus, the forward cant helps hide it better. I'm only 5' 7" and 140 lbs, so I need all of the help that I can get!!! Also the Blackhawk secures a little better than the Fobus with the one button release on the retention system.

Cool

I ccw with a smartcarry but when I open carry around the homestead itís in a Uncle Mikeís paddle holster.

Livin in the woods.......feelin mighty good!
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

I have the Fobus for my 1911 .45 and my SA-XD Tactical 9mm and like them both, Very cheap from Sportsmans guide and they fit well, and seem to say put,
    Paul aka Sporty

I have a fobus paddle for the 1911 and it just doesn't work for me. And I'm not a skinny guy. The weight of a government model 1911 pulls the paddle holster away from the body and it prints like mad. OTOH, I've tried my cousin's glock with a fobus paddle and works fine. To me, it's a matter of weight. The paddle just doesn't seem to have the stiffness to hold a heavier firearm close to your side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links