Leaving it in the car at work

Leaving it in the car at work

This is a discussion on Leaving it in the car at work within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Waitng on my CHL in TX, and trying to figure out how to handle leaving my gun in the car at work. I work where ...

New Member Array austin-tatious's Avatar

Question Leaving it in the car at work

Waitng on my CHL in TX, and trying to figure out how to handle leaving my gun in the car at work.

I work where guns in the office are not allowed, but AFAIK, the parking garage is ok. Therefore I will have to store it safely (always concealed, protected from misuse, theft, AD/ND) while in the office and retrieve it when leaving for home or wherever. IMO putting it in the trunk is out since it is too likely someone will see me do it.

I have searched the forum for answers, but have not found much that helps (other than discussions of different gun safes appropriate for a car).

Can someone point me to a thread where this has been discussed, or if not, what do the rest of you do who face this situation every week? I'm thinking in terms of procedure.

Maybe it will be obvious once I start to carry, but not yet.

BTW, the forum has been a great education. I am most happy to have found it.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I would buy a small safe, and place it in a fairly well hidden area, like under a seat, and maybe bolt it to the floor of your vehicle. I carry at work (fast food), and I'm pretty sure if my manager ever found out I carry on the job, I'm gone, but the way I see it, my life isn't worth a low paying job. Once I get out on my own and make decent money to support myself, then I'll obey company policy, but for now I am in college and still living at home.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

What kind of car?

A lot will depend on the car, and the layout. If you don't want to put it in the truck, which I understand. What are you options for your particular vehicle.

None of the vehicles I drive even have a trunk, so that isn't an option for me either.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I have the same situation where I work. I got one of these Center of Mass car safes:

http://www.center-of-mass.com/About_...Safe_Incar.htm

It'll at least protect you from a smash and grab.

I am in the same situation at work. At a gunshow, I saw a small safe for car/home that fixes to a mounted plate. You can buy multiple plates and mount them wherever you need them and easily move the safe from car to home etc. or leave it. When the safe is closed/locked it is affixed to the plate and cannot be moved until opened. It is called VersaMount at http://www.advancedpistolsafes.com/.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    A lot will depend on the car, and the layout. ... What are you options for your particular vehicle.
    Two cars... '03 Mercury Marauder and '66 Mustang conv.

The MM is straight forward, I think. For the MM I imagine having a safe under the passenger seat (IF it will fit, which I don't know yet). I turn off the car, and, while still seated with the doors closed, do a 360 scan, remove the IWB gun, slip it in the safe, I'm done. Reverse procedure when leaving.

The Mustang, however, is terribly exposed. I drive it to work in fair weather only and mostly not at night. Normally I park it without locking it since anyone can too easily break in through the roof or window (with resulting damage), and I leave NOTHING in the car. I do not think there is room under the seat for a safe which leaves a safe bolted down under the floor mat or ?? Sure, I could try using the safe bolted down in the trunk, but sometime someone will see me put it in or retrieve it. Besides, a flat blade screwdriver can be jammed in the trunk lock and pop it in less than 15 seconds. Or would you all say that the risk of theft etc. is lower than the risk of not having the gun when I chose to drive that car?

Quote Originally Posted by emitchell View Post
    I am in the same situation at work. At a gunshow, I saw a small safe for car/home that fixes to a mounted plate. You can buy multiple plates and mount them wherever you need them and easily move the safe from car to home etc. or leave it. When the safe is closed/locked it is affixed to the plate and cannot be moved until opened. It is called VersaMount at http://www.advancedpistolsafes.com/.
    How have you found this safe works out for the car? I found out about it already (and a couple of others that also have mounting plates), and being able to easily move the safe between cars/home is appealing. However, I am concerned it would be too easy to remove from the mounting plate. But...I have not seen it "in the flesh".

Note that my question is not really about which safe, but which procedure, particularly for the Mustang, and if there might be options besides a safe.

I am luck to be able to have a safe in my trunk. My friend on the other hand had to mount his behind the front seat and places something (like a towel) over the safe. If exposed it would take sometime to break it loose from the mounting bracket on the floor. Anything IMHO is better then no safe at all.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I drive a wagon. So trunk is not really a great option since EVERYBODY can see whats in the trunk. I use the Beretta Pistol Bag (LINK)
    I wrap the cable around the frame under my seat. So far I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by austin-tatious View Post
    How have you found this safe works out for the car? I found out about it already (and a couple of others that also have mounting plates), and being able to easily move the safe between cars/home is appealing. However, I am concerned it would be too easy to remove from the mounting plate. But...I have not seen it "in the flesh".

Note that my question is not really about which safe, but which procedure, particularly for the Mustang, and if there might be options besides a safe.
    I would not think it is foolproof. Probably just a good deterrant - taking time and work to remove. You bolt the plate to any surface in the car and then the safe slides on the plate. When it is locked the safe won't move off of the plate. I think the plate/safe is 1/8 steel, but I am not certain. I am going to another gun show tomorrow. If they are there I will look closer. I need a good solution for the car as well.

I bought a fire "resistant" lock box at WalMart for about $15 (it's big enough to hold two 1911's), drilled holes in it then ran a heavy bicycle cable lock through the holes. I can secure it under the rear seat of my F150 or the trunk of the car.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Links