Warning - Texas State Fair Concealed Carry - If you are going to the Fair, pls read!

This is a discussion on Warning - Texas State Fair Concealed Carry - If you are going to the Fair, pls read! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I searched to see if there was a thread running on this but didn't see one, so if there is one already - my apologies. ...

Thread: Warning - Texas State Fair Concealed Carry - If you are going to the Fair, pls read!

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar

Warning - Texas State Fair Concealed Carry - If you are going to the Fair, pls read!

I searched to see if there was a thread running on this but didn't see one, so if there is one already - my apologies.

I received an email alert from Jim Dark (exec. dir of the Texas State Rifle Association) today and wanted to pass it along. It doesn't appear to have been substantiated by the State Fair Official but wanted to put it out there nonetheless. If any of the LEO's on the board can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am writing to you today to let you know of a possible change in policy by the State Fair Foundation, regarding CHL Carry at the State Fair of Texas. In years past, CHL holders were allowed to carry after displaying their CHL to a supervisor brought to the front gate for that purpose. We have reason to believe that policy may be undergoing revision, but cannot yet confirm it. We also have no confidence whatsoever of getting a straight answer out of State Fair officials.

Our source of information is the following message posted to the Texas CHL Forum:

We just attended our orientation meeting for all the officers that will be working the State Fair this year. One important change to this year's event is that CHL holders will not be allowed to carry firearms while in the Fair this year. This is a big change from previous years that you will need to prepare for. This is not a DPD rule or policy - this comes from the State Fair management.

We were told that if someone comes into the fair with a gun and they have a CHL that there will be no LE action taken against them as they have not broken any state laws. However, a representative of the State Fair will be contacted and the violator will be detained until they arrive. Once the State Fair representative arrives the violator will be informed once again of this new policy and asked to remove their gun from the premises. If they refuse to do so then they will be given a Criminal Trespass warning and if they refuse at that time to leave, or return back to the fair grounds this year they will be arrested. I can also pretty well assure that their weapon will be seized and a report made to DPS.

Anyway, I wanted to let as many of you know as soon as I found out since the Fair opens tomorrow. I can just imagine that there will be quite a few people parking some distance from the fair grounds and being stopped at the gate regarding this new policy. They will be faced with a long trek back to their vehicle, or if they took DART to the fair they will have to spend money and time to return to some location where they can safely store their gun.

Also, be prepared for longer lines at the entrances due to the extra security of wanding every person and searching all of their belongings. If you do decide to come and visit have a great time as there are a lot of new attractions, rides and food vendors this year.

We are presenting this information to you as quickly as possible as a warning, so that you will not find yourself in a predicament. If you do wish to attend the State Fair with your legally carried firearm, be prepared for this new policy to be enacted. If you are ordered to leave, do not risk your CHL by refusing to do so. But we are sharing this information, so that you can prepare yourself for the eventuality of having to walk back to your car to store your firearm, or leave entirely if you utilize DART transportation (since you will have no place to store your firearm).

Remember, if given instructions or a trespass warning by the State Fair officials, please follow them. If the Fair personnel insist on attempting to change their long-standing CHL policy, which has not resulted in a single incident or injury, then we will take this issue up with the State Legislature in 2009.

Questions regarding this message can be directed to the Texas State Rifle Association at 972-889-8772.

James Dark

Executive Director
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

2. Remove Ads

Vote with your wallet...

Also, be prepared for longer lines at the entrances due to the extra security of wanding every person and searching all of their belongings. If you do decide to come and visit have a great time as there are a lot of new attractions, rides and food vendors this year.
    How much inconvenience will you put up with to be unarmed in a free-fire zone? It's a fair, for crying out loud - how do they expect to wand every person at every entrance, to include staff and carneys?

If you're not going, let the Fair Folks know what they mi$$ed by making you feel unwelcome.
    Protect your family. Reload. Call 911.

They changed their mind. I just saw this at:

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCH...ic.php?t=10387

The first post includes this update:

Just got a call from my supervisor and we've now been told that the State Fair management has decided to allow CHL holders onto the premises. It seems like a lot of phone calls has caused them to change directions. CHL holders will need to notify security at the gates that they have a weapon and a State Fair representative will be called to the location to verify the CHL is in order.
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Just goes to show that when people complain due to an injustice things Will change

Just another reason not to go. Not that I ever did before.

CHL holders will need to notify security at the gates that they have a weapon and a State Fair representative will be called to the location to verify the CHL is in order.
    Just curious, under what authority will this guy "validate" you have a current and valid CHL? If a police officer were to be there, i could understand, but i didnt think anyone else had the authority.

That's good that people called and complained. Personally, I won't go somewhere like that because as someone mentioned, it's a free-fire zone. Some whack job gets that email, decides to jump the fence with his AK and just opens fire. Not my cup of tea.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    There is no-way I'd even think about going without my weapon.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Maybe bring someone to the front gate who can read English?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Moderator
    I thought this was interesting:

We were told that if someone comes into the fair with a gun and they have a CHL that there will be no LE action taken against them as they have not broken any state laws. However, a representative of the State Fair will be contacted and the violator will be detained until they arrive.
    Even though the CHL holder has not violated any law, they ar to be detained?

Wow. Sounds like a very bad idea to me - and potentially a very expensive one for the fair.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    that would be a huge legal mistake for the fair and a nice legal battle for the "victim"
    sounds like someone explained the law to the fair officials
    first, the Texas 30.06 section and appropriate signs are not enforcable on property owned or leased by the state, a county, or city
    AND the tresspass section of law says this:

30.05. CRIMINAL TRESPASS. (a) A person commits an
    offense if he enters or remains on or in property, including an
    aircraft or other vehicle, of another without effective consent or
    he enters or remains in a building of another without effective
    consent and he:
    (1) had notice that the entry was forbidden; or
    (2) received notice to depart but failed to do so.
    (b) For purposes of this section:
    (1) "Entry" means the intrusion of the entire body.
    (2) "Notice" means: (A) oral or written communication by the owner or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner;

(irrelevant info left out from middle of section)

(f) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that: (1) the basis on which entry on the property or land or
    in the building was forbidden is that entry with a handgun was
    forbidden; and (2) the person was carrying a concealed handgun and a license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun of the same category the person was carrying.

bottom line, they can't keep a CHL out by detaining them and given them a tresspass warning based on the fact they are armed and have a valid CHL
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Links