Have you ever had an AD/ND?..Poll

This is a discussion on Have you ever had an AD/ND?..Poll within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; title sums it up....

View Poll Results: Have you ever had an AD or ND?

Voters
503. You may not vote on this poll
  • YUP

171 34.00%
  • NOPE

332 66.00%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Have you ever had an AD/ND?..Poll

Have you ever had an AD/ND?..Poll

title sums it up.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Growing up we had a lot of fun hunting, shooting clays, plinking, etc., however my father was a serious gun safety guy, and I credit him in drilling gun safety into me at an early age, so we were fortunate to avoid any ND or AD events. He also taught me to watch out for others regarding their gun safety habits (also their driving). There were a few people that he refused to hunt with because they would carelessly laser others with their guns.

His diligence about gun safety worked for us. He's 87 yoa now and I wonder did some AD/ND occur in his youth or during WWII that influenced him so strongly? I'm going to ask him this weekend.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    At the point where I voted, I made it 3 Nopes to 5 Yups. (Me = Nope)

That's sickening, folks. That's inexcusable. The idea that Yups outnumber Nopes by almost 2x is ... just ...

What are you all doing out there?

I hold firmly against the excuse people offer of, "If you're around guns long enough, you'll have one."

I've been around BB guns since age 6 or so; fired my first .22, which belonged to my brother, around 10; bought my first firearm at 21 and now I'm 36. I've never had an accidental or negligent discharge in that time.

What excuse can we possibly offer a public that is skeptical about gun ownership when those with screwups outnumber those without?

Yeah, i had a big thread on my goof-up :)

Learn from your mistakes i guess.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Well, at the very least, we hope folks learn from their mistakes.

The trouble is, a mistake with a firearm is so very grave, since it has the potential to be deadly, that we are supposed to learn from the telling, not from actual experience of misadventure.

I had 1 30 years ago will having a disagreement with my wife, never clean a gun while being distracted. Never had one since......
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Jeff, calm down a bit, you don't know anything about the circumstances or whether they were mechanical in nature or human in nature. Don't jump to conclusions on others, and they won't do it to you.

I used to think the SAME EXACT WAY you did. Until guess what, I had a ND (human error). I was disassembling my gun prior to a party to split it into two different locations to prevent a drunk person from finding it and really ending a good day on a horrible note. I had my head over my shoulder, talking to Justin, hit the mag release, racked and locked the slide back, pulled out the disassembly pin, and pulled the trigger.

The gun didn't go click. The magazine didn't drop free, it got hung up on something and it stripped a round off of the magazine and into the chamber. It took out my hearing for a few hours in the left ear, and my nearly brand-new laptop for school.

But you know what, it's stuck with me ever since. I was able to recover the copper jacket and the lead, and still have them. I look at them every single day before I leave as a reminder of what I have on my hip and what it can do (not to mention the credit card bill to purchase a new computer so I could finish my school year). I'm now in the habit of quadruple checking the mag well and chamber prior to doing anything to a gun (instead of single before), and I rack the slide multiple times (compared to single before).

We're all human, and we all make mistakes. If society treated us like you're treating those have had the displeasure to experience a ND/AD in regards to automobiles, nobody would have a driver's license. A car is much deadlier in the hands of anybody than a gun.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; September 29th, 2007 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Edit Language Workaround
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

And for a frame of reference, I've been shooting guns for about 2/3rds of my life, and this happened last year. It can happen to anybody with the slightest slip of concentration.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    *Knock on wood*

I have not had an ND, but the thought of one is never far away when handling any of my guns.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I learned strict field safety practices hunting with my father. Still, one day while crossing a field with my Remington Fieldmaster .22, I had my finger inside the trigger guard. Luckily I was carrying down and away, as I was taught to do. I was twelve and have never forgotten that I thought the safety was on and wasn't even aware that my finger had crept toward the trigger. It really shook me...the memory still does.

Distinguished Member
    Had a Jennings 22 notice I said HAD, anyway I was loading a round into the pipe, pulled the slid back and let it go------BANG right into moms wall mirror. No one was hurt, the primer did NOT have a mark on it. It was a rim fire, so I would guess that it just had a overly sensitive primer. I think the gun is currently being used as a fishing line anchor.

Only with blanks (twice) during my Army days.
    But it still scared the hell outa me and still sobering.

Sam.

No ND/AD's but I've had my share of various non firearm accidents.

Most accidents I've had were not the result of reckless abandon (a few maybe as a youngster), but all were easily preventable if you could have seen them coming.

Seeing them coming is a trick I can only do after the fact though.

I had an AD, but it was on a firing line that was hot and the round actually hit my target.

PM
    No AD/ND's but I did take the barrel off my shotgun to clean it and found it was STILL LOADED!!!! I was with friends hunting Phesant in Western KS; we were done for the trip and all thought that before we packed up we would clean our guns. I had cleared the gun earlier before returning to the lodge; when we got back we took one of the dogs for a walk --- dog got birdy; I reloaded and did not unload again before walking in the lodge. We sat down to clean and I removed barrel only to have a friend yelling at me about what was hanging from the gun --- a 20ga shell!!! Right after I remove the chair seat from my ***; I removed the shells from the gun. So jeff and others, as has been said already, one moment of mental lapse can be a big problem. I think we all got to talking and no one thought about my reload till we saw the shell hanging from the now disassembled gun.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links