Carried for the first time...

This is a discussion on Carried for the first time... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carried my SP101 the other day for the first time. I have had my CCP Permit for about 10 days but had to wait ...

Thread: Carried for the first time...

Carried for the first time...

I carried my SP101 the other day for the first time. I have had my CCP Permit for about 10 days but had to wait this long before my first attempt for one reason or another but now I am good to go. No traumatic experience to report. It just felt like a tool that I was carrying around with me in my front pocket thatís all. I did not freak out nor was I paranoid. I went to Wally World, stopped off at the DOL and picked up my tabs for 2008, got a haircut and got gas... Because my front pockets are tight to begin with, plenty deep enough but snug while trying to reach in with my hand you can imagine what it was like with the SP101 2.25". Put it this way, I would have been toast at Tombstone. I do have a K&D Belt Holster i.e. Eagle Defender on order but will not be ready until sometime in January!

Dave
    Dave

2. Remove Ads

Congrats but please tell us you're using a pocket holster and not just shoving it in the pocket.

Everyone has to start somewhere. A gun in the pocket with no holster is better than no gun at all I think

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Pocket holsters serve several purposes. First and most importantly, they protect the trigger. Second, they break up the outline of the gun. Third, they protect the trigger. Fourth, they keep the gun in an upright position, ready to draw. Finally, they PROTECT THE TRIGGER.

If you absolutely, positively must carry in the pocket without a holster, ENSURE there is nothing else in that pocket, and nothing else will be going into it! No change, chapstick, keys, or ANYTHING that might interfere with the operation of the firearm... or induce it without your approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    Congrats but please tell us you're using a pocket holster and not just shoving it in the pocket.
    Yep, I am using the DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster...

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I've carried loose in the pocket for years (nothing else in the pocket, or course), but I'm, shall we say, growing in my CCW maturity as the years go by. Not having the funds to spend on holsters, I made my own out of an old mouse pad - it ain't quite a "Smart Carry", more like a "Not Quite So Dumb Carry": see instructions and photos at www.netdataconsultants.com/holster if you're interested. Very comfortable and retention is without concern. Printing, while occasionally an issue, suggests more my state of mind at the moment rather than carrying a pistol (think small codpiece, if you know your history).

When I hit the lottery, I'll get a Smart Carry; 'til then, this will have to do. Good for you for getting your permit and carrying. I appreciate having one more good guy out there.

The SP is a great carry gun..Icarried one for 2 years.I used a Desantis thumbreak scabbard.I now pocket carry a s/w 642.Sometimes I miss the SP(I sold it to a friend).
    Congrats.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

You're a Wise Man...

One who is taking responsibility for his own self-defense...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    OUTSTANDING!

...and congratulations too!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Nice.

I made my girlfriend laugh the first time I started. She said, "i need some shampoo". I said, "lets go to Wally World". She asks, "why?" I respond, "because I just got my CHL and its customary to make the first trip to Wally World".

Of course, I was well prepared. Before I even took the course, i bought a C.TAC holster and a Galco belt. I guess I am one of the few that doesn't have six holsters for every handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Everyone has to start somewhere. A gun in the pocket with no holster is better than no gun at all I think
    When you shoot your yoo-hoo off, let us know that's it's better than "no gun at all."

CCW also means responsible carrying.

Links