hit rate stats

This is a discussion on hit rate stats within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; over the years ive read so many times that civilian carry hit rates were much higher than LEO hit rates on a national average (somewhere ...

Thread: hit rate stats

hit rate stats

over the years ive read so many times that civilian carry hit rates were much higher than LEO hit rates on a national average (somewhere around 20% for LEOs and 80%-90% for civilian defensive shootings) that ive grown to believe it without question. at this point im seeking valid published stats to either validate or disprove this claim.
    thanks,

2. Remove Ads

I can't remember where I heard it......CCW Class......hit rate extremely low.........But I can't remember the statistical source. Give me awhile...my brain will engage or I'll find it rattling around somewhere. Seems like it was 5% or under....extremely scary statistic.

I posted stats toward this in specific to NYC police here earlier this year.
    As well these stats for police broadly can be located via DoJ and IIRC the FBI.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

thanks. i have this from the FBI:

"The fear of over-penetration is a misconception which was created back when law
    enforcement was trying to overcome misinformed public resistance to the use of hollow
    point ammunition. In the process, we began to believe it ourselves. First, our
    lawyers are unaware of any successful legal action resulting from the injury of a
    bystander due to a round over-penetrating the subject. We are aware of numerous
    instances of Agents/officers being killed because their round did not penetrate enough
    (Grogan and Dove, for example). Further, if you examine shooting statistics you will
    see that officers hit the subject somewhere around 20-30% of the time. Thus 70-80%
    of the shots fired never hit their intended target, and nobody ever worries about them -
    only the ones that might “overpenetrate” the bad guy."

but i dont have any statistical data at all on the hit rate for civilian defensive shootings.

Here is a start for you via the NYPD...

"NYPD 2005 Firearms Discharge Report"
    June 16th, 2007, 06:44 PM
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=27336

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Here is a start for you via the NYPD...

"NYPD 2005 Firearms Discharge Report"
    June 16th, 2007, 06:44 PM
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=27336

- Janq
    Thank you! The rate is a lot higher overall than I'd heard at CCW class. Must be my old brain.

It'd be interesting to see these stats nationally, but I couldn't find anything comparanle on the FBI or DOJ site.

Thanks again!

thanks. this covers police shootings. any ideas on where i could find similar stats on legal concealed carry civilian defensive shootings ?

But remember that in the eyes of many of our elected officials that the civilians are not properly trained. Well that is a huge difference in hit ratio, so I would guess who spends more time on the range.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Links