Passenger?

This is a discussion on Passenger? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does one have to show CC permit, when riding in another's vehicle, during a traffic stop? If, maybe, things got hairy and the LEO asked ...

Thread: Passenger?

Passenger?

Does one have to show CC permit, when riding in another's vehicle, during a traffic stop? If, maybe, things got hairy and the LEO asked driver and passenger to step out of the vehicle.?.?.? Do you think the LEO would like to be informed then? I have so many paranoid questions, like this, I could ask about scenarios all day long. Sorry?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    IMO it's basically same as if you are driver - everyone is an occupant and so any cop would I am sure like to know ahead of time who has guns ... and if legal. Could save all sorts of hassle.

Only my own take of course - some like to do otherwise! For me it is courtesy, diplomacy and highly desirable - I doubt I'd want to spend even one day in a cop's shoes doing traffic stops..
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

In Texas you are required to show your CHL and inform the officer you are carry only when you are stopped by a LEO and asked for ID.

So, IMO you only inform them if asked. And only if you are carrying. Passenger or otherwise. Until then....shut up.

I guess I'll shut up! Sorry!?!?

Distinguished Member
    Rugerp95: If you go back to page 12 on this form and find "Passenger CCW have to Inform" I asked the same question, and you will find a lot of different answers to your question. Good luck. Maybe someday I will get savvy enough to be able to link you to it.

thanks SleepingZ.....I need all the help I can get!

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

Distinguished Member
    Anubis: Sure make me look really BAD

Thanks very much. I sure am going to hate asking my 15 year old how to do something, but I just better give in.

SleepingZ

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Anubis: Sure make me look really BAD

Thanks very much. I sure am going to hate asking my 15 year old how to do something, but I just better give in.

SleepingZ
    Sorry, not my intent. Some of us old dogs (my kids are over 30) can occasionally learn new tricks.

What I did was not arcane:
    1. Open this thread in an IE window and also open the "reply" box.
    2. Open the older thread in another IE window.
    3. Highlight the URL at the top of that web page.
    4. Press the control key and "C" (to copy highlighted text to the Windows behind-the-scenes clipboard).
    5. Return to this thread's window.
    6. Put cursor in the reply-box.
    7. Press control key and "V" to paste from the Windows clipboard to the reply-box.

Actually, providing this kind of information is much easier than answering the original question.

Of course the answer depends first on state law, then on what your preference is regarding informing/not informing.

My preference in my only LEO stop (since becoming a 2A brother) was to not inform. It went like this:

My CO permit is good in AZ and neither state requires informing unless specifically asked. With my Glock 21 concealed IWB at 9:00, I was cruising solo in southern AZ, only 10 or 15 miles from the Mexican border, with the convertible top open. All traffic was required to stop at a Border Patrol checkpoint. I did. A LEO who could see everything in the passenger compartment asked me if I were a US citizen while another LEO let a dog sniff my car for about 5 seconds. I judged that saying I was legally armed, yada, yada, yada, would needlessly complicate a very simple situation. I limited my answer to "yes" and was waved through.

Distinguished Member
    Anubis: Hope you could see I was joking, cause I REALLY did appreciate you posting the link for him. You are right about old dog-new trick, and someday I will learn, cause I do get envious of all of the computer savvy people out there.

Thanks Z

I noted several Border Patrol checkpoints on highways in southern AZ. I suspect they are sprinkled all over the southern zones of states bordering Mexico. I can't definitely explain why they exist, but I speculate that they are looking for people entering illegally or for contraband drugs.

The dog was on a leash and I didn't see it touch my car, although it was behind it momentarily and could possibly have done so.

I consented to nothing. The entire conversation was 1 question, 1 answer.
    Last edited by Anubis; September 30th, 2007 at 06:03 PM. Reason: elaboration

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Wouldn't the dog sniffing your car constitute an illegal search, since you did not give consent?

Not that I would have made a scene in the same scenario, but if cops in Oregon using a thermal imaging camera on a house to spot marijuana plants (tipped off by the electric company) constitutes an illegal search, wouldn't this as well?

Just wondering,

Mike

Probable cause is the one thing that you can never get away from.
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

If I was a passenger and with people who did not know I carry, I would say nothing unless I was directly questioned by LEO. There is no duty to inform in KY.

One exception would be if the officer asked the driver if there were any weapons in the vehicle. Rather than have the driver unknowingly say "no", I would then inform of my CCW and legally armed status.

A good reason to always try to be the driver....

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Wouldn't the dog sniffing your car constitute an illegal search, since you did not give consent?
    I don't know. Hard to prove the dog actually was sniffing for dope---could boil down to what the legal minimum distance the dog could be brought without calling it a search---far too fine a legal hair for me to split! I didn't care anyway; they are mainly looking for illegal entry from Mexico down there.

Besides, if a driver says nothing at the time, and later says that he didn't consent, the Border Patrol agents could probably argue that the driver didn't explicitly withdraw consent and "silence implies agreement".

Links