just moved need help

This is a discussion on just moved need help within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; moved to KY. now have KY D.L. does my IN license to carry res license still work can i still c.c. or am i screwed ...

Thread: just moved need help

Unhappy just moved need help

moved to KY. now have KY D.L. does my IN license to carry res license still work can i still c.c. or am i screwed and have to return it to IN. any one that can help me i relly relly thank you!!!

2. Remove Ads

If I were in your shoes, I would go introduce myself to the local PD Chief and /or Sheriff and ask them..surely they would know.

Check gunlaws.org to see if your IN permit has reciprocity in KY; if so, you're probably legal to carry, but you should apply for a KY permit post haste, and carry documentation that you have done so.

VIP Member
    As a resident, you have to live here 6 months to apply for a permit. I would think the IN permit is good, but I don't know. Let us know what you find out. Call your local sheriff's office.

VIP Member
    OH , and welcome to Kentucky. It's one of the most gun friendly states there is.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mawdsley View Post
    moved to KY. now have KY D.L. does my IN license to carry res license still work can i still c.c. or am i screwed and have to return it to IN. any one that can help me i relly relly thank you!!!
    KY does recognize an Indiana license - BUT-

Technically you are NOW a resident of KY
    (You have a KY DL and Address )

http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm

You must be a KY RESIDENT for 6 months to get a KY carry license.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by mike mawdsley View Post
    moved to KY. does my IN license to carry res license still work
    You're no longer a resident in Indiana, but does your resident Indiana CHL still keep you legally carrying? I highly doubt it. I'm betting your license ceased to cover you the moment you no longer maintained residency and claimed primary residency elsewhere. Check with your Sheriff in KY and IN, to be sure.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well, I did do a search and found that MI, FL, and a few others will not recognize a permit from a state the holder is not a resident of...KY was not on that list.

Effective July 15, 1998, Kentucky recognizes valid carry concealed deadly weapons licenses issued by other states and, subject to the provisions of Kentucky law, a person holding a valid license from another state may carry a concealed deadly weapon in Kentucky.

Even the KY site does not seem to require the holder of a permit from any other state to be a resident of that state...I would certainly check with local LE, but I suspect you may be OK...I would be getting a KY permit ASAP anyway!

OMO...IANAL

(There was a USA CCW Reciprocity Map on this forum a while back, but it was not correct according to FL law...although FL gives out CCW permits to individuals who are not residents, FL only recognizes CCW permits from states where the holder is a resident.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This may not apply in Kentucky but is something to think about.

Colorado does not recognize CHL from states in which the holder is not a resident of. I can't legally carry in Colorado with a Florida permit if I'm a Colorado resident.

I'll call your local sheriff for the final answer.

DO NOT ask a cop. Go to your state's website and access the appropriate laws, or get in touch with someone who is a certified CW trainer. Most police officers aren't aware of the finer points of firearms law. You are liable to get incorrect information.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Lead Moderator
    ttpete is correct. You could ask the same question to 3 different LE and get 3 different answers
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

For what is worth, don't trust what you read on the internet. Way too easy to hack a site, content and such. Most don't realize that, but, trust me on this one. As others have said, AG office or other knowledgeable state rep would know. Luck.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Thanx guys for your help that was a very quick response

Links