private sale of firearms

This is a discussion on private sale of firearms within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hey i live in IN and was wondering where i can find laws regarding private sale of handguns .. any help would be greatly appreciated ...

Thread: private sale of firearms

private sale of firearms

hey i live in IN and was wondering where i can find laws regarding private sale of handguns .. any help would be greatly appreciated
    thanks
    proud to be an infidel

2. Remove Ads

Go to a gun store and have them do the paperwork, its easy, and takes all the burden off you.

Remember, difference between "intrastate" and "interstate" sales in case you are looking to sell or gift outside your state.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Quote Originally Posted by gotammo View Post
    Go to a gun store and have them do the paperwork, its easy, and takes all the burden off you.
    This is the way to do it safely.
    As long as they can own a handgun(NO minors, and felons) in Indiana private sales are no problem.
    B.T.W. what part of the state do you live in? Columbus here.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

In most states private sales aren't a problem (talking about in state, not state to state)
    Usually all that's required is for the purchaser to be "legal" to own a firearm of the type you are selling them.

The catch is, you as a seller have no way of really knowing if the buyer can legally posses the gun other then verifying their age (unless you go thru and ffl and have them run a check for you)

One thing I've seen sellers do to try to c-t-a is request the buyer sign a simple bill of sale stating that they aren't legally prohibited from owning the weapon.

For state to state sales, it's eaisest to go thru an ffl, as the gun has to be shipped to an ffl (curio and relic holders not withstanding) anyway. Going thru an ffl in this case will also likely save you some $$ as they can ship cheaper then a non ffl can.

what i'm trying to do is sell a weapon to a friend of mine who is legal but doesnt have a ccw yet (applied for) as there are some things going on in his area that are a little unsettelling at this time and he doesnt have any firearms at this time... and currently i am resinding in the nappanee area
    proud to be an infidel

If you know the person, then a bill of sale would be enough, I've done it many times w/ friends. It is legal in Indiana, he doesn't need a permit to buy a handgun.(hope he gets the "life-time" permit!)
    And what part of the state is that, never heard of it? I'm south central Indiana.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

its about a hour south of MI , north of ind about 3 hours pending on traffic
    proud to be an infidel

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    In most states private sales aren't a problem (talking about in state, not state to state)
    Usually all that's required is for the purchaser to be "legal" to own a firearm of the type you are selling them.

The catch is, you as a seller have no way of really knowing if the buyer can legally posses the gun other then verifying their age (unless you go thru and ffl and have them run a check for you)
    Have the buyer bring a criminal record history printout from the police department with any appropriate seals of letterhead of that agency to the transaction. Make sure it is dated no more than 72 hours (preferably shorter) before the date of the transaction.

Alternatively, you can have them order a criminal record history from the police department, and give the clerk who takes the order a notarized letter directing them to mail it to you.

If you want to do your due diligence, you can.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Have the buyer bring a criminal record history printout from the police department with any appropriate seals of letterhead of that agency to the transaction. Make sure it is dated no more than 72 hours (preferably shorter) before the date of the transaction.

Alternatively, you can have them order a criminal record history from the police department, and give the clerk who takes the order a notarized letter directing them to mail it to you.

If you want to do your due diligence, you can.
    I don't think you'll sell much doing that. A private citizen can sell to any other private citizen as long as he resides in the same state. A simple bill of sale with name, address, and driver's license number is quite adequate. In MI, the seller sends one copy of the purchase permit to the state police, and that covers him.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Quote Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
    I don't think you'll sell much doing that. A private citizen can sell to any other private citizen as long as he resides in the same state. A simple bill of sale with name, address, and driver's license number is quite adequate. In MI, the seller sends one copy of the purchase permit to the state police, and that covers him.

It's not an issue in Connecticut because all handgun sales, retail and private, are approved by the State Police, so if they issue an authorization number, you are covered as to the sale being to an individual who is not a prohibited person.

As to a person doing a lot of sales...well...if they are going to be doing a lot of sales, they should know the person they are selling a handgun to is not a prohibited person to prevent it from coming back and biting them in the rear.

Liability is based on many things, but foremost among them is the requirement you act reasonably.

In the absence of a National Instant Check System approval from an FFL doing the transfer or sale authorization from the appropriate state agency, you can't get much more reasonable in your actions than demanding a criminal record check before selling a firearm to someone.

All I can say is that if someone asked to have my record run in order to buy a gun, I'd tell him to stick it where the sun don't shine. I've NEVER heard of this being done. FTF pistol transfers are regulated in MI, but nothing else is. I'd only want to see a photo ID to ascertain that the buyer was a resident. And I'd record his particulars just for reference. Those who worry excessively about possible lawsuits need to find another hobby.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Links