Is it bad to store a gun in a leather holster?

This is a discussion on Is it bad to store a gun in a leather holster? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering, the only one I store in a suede holster is my glock 26....

Thread: Is it bad to store a gun in a leather holster?

Just wondering, the only one I store in a suede holster is my glock 26.

If the finish was bad and the hoster was wet you would find some rust, otherwise unless you are leaving it there for 20 years you won't have any problems.

i'm just going to say yes, from looking at my mags that i carry in their holder .you can see a wear line on them .
    the glock however would probably fare the best maybe even undamaged .
    the steel guns being more suceptable to corosion . holster makers or gun manufacturers would probably have the best idea as to why .

elance

Administrator
    Firearms with hard chrome over Electroless Nickel can be stored in a holster and also Stainless firearms. Guns with baked on and Teflon finish are OK stored in leather.
    Not such a great idea for traditionally blued firearms which can possibly pit.
    In damp/moist environments leather can absorb moisture and hold it on the surface of a firearm.
    Chrome tanned leather is worse for firearms than vegetable tanned and most suede leather is chromium tanned.
    Putting a coat of pure Carnuba hard paste wax on your gun can help keep it protected and works well as an added protective barrier.
    If you are out in wet weather and your leather rig gets really wet then you should carefully remove your firearm from the holster and allow your holster to dry out naturally and undisturbed.

ANYTHING will rust if given enough exposure. I did salt spray testing on Army trucks using new paints and coatings. Some leated longer, eventually they all died. The same for guns. We had Daytona Beach beach cops bring in their Glocks after a season driving ATVs up and down the beach. Trust me, glocks will rust shut if treated badly enough and one season was all it took for these. Leather holds moisture in like a sponge, meaning it will be even worse than simple open air exposure. I have had both Stainless Steel and HardChromed guns show signs of rust, quickly attended to!

Do not leve your weapon laying around in a leather holster. I may carry my 1911 in leather all day but I put it to bed in one of my Kydex rigs after wiping it down.

Storing gun in holster

I was under the impression that the tannic acid in a holster also works on corroding the pistola. John
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.-George Orwell

I have always heard that leather was not great for bluing and good knives.

Leather will attract more moisture causing problems in the long run. I would suggest storing them in your cabinet/ safe openly after a good cleaning and lube. I also use a mini dehumidifier as well as semi-annual wipe downs on my long term storage guns.

I have a stainless revolver that has a couple of small spots where rust formed while stored in a leather holster. The rust cleaned off, but there is a discoloration of the steel at those locations - it looks like pitting, but isn't deep enough to detect by feel.

If storing the pistol why not just take it out of the holster? My safe is for my guns, I have a large box where the holsters go. I have some racks built in my safe so all guns are taken out of their holsters or rugs before storing and I have never had a problem with rust.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I inherited an old ammo box full of good quality fixed-bladed knives. As they were collected, the knives have been in that ammo box anywhere from 25-40 years.

Every knife was stored in its leather sheath.

Every knife blade was rusted where it came in direct contact with its leather sheath.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Not a good idea to store any metal item in leather . I have even seen aluminum get " fur " and pittings on it from the leather long term . Stainless can become stained , carbon steel WILL rust with nothing more than humidity depending on where you live . A pistol should never be stored in anything that might hold moisture against the metal no matter what it is made of .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Sponsored Links