Jefferson County, Idaho

Jefferson County, Idaho

This is a discussion on Jefferson County, Idaho within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to our new county bldg to get my daughters driver lic renewed. The bldg now houses the jail, court, dmv, sheriff, etc., so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jefferson County, Idaho

Unhappy Jefferson County, Idaho

I went to our new county bldg to get my daughters driver lic renewed. The bldg now houses the jail, court, dmv, sheriff, etc., so before going in I left my weapon in the car. While in the dmv I asked if this is still part of the court house for CCW purposes and they said yes and then handed me a paper with what's off limits for Idaho. sounds good right? Until I started reading it.
    A Concealed Weapons Permit gives you the right to legally conceal a handgun on your person or in a vehicle with the exception of:
    Any prohibited conduct
    Being under the influence of drugs or alcohol
    Going inside
    Courthouse
    School
    Jail
    Federal building
    Bank
    Bar
    Juvenile detention building
    First thing that caught my eye was Banks and Bars, because I've never seen a law that prohibits it in Idaho.
    So right away I question it and the personnel didn't know in the dmv, so I came home and called the sheriff's office, which told me to call on Monday and talk to ******.
    Monday came and I called, spoke to ******, and asked where the reference for this was for the Banks and Bars, because I didn't know it was against the law. "The sheriff had me put that in, you don't need to have a gun there anyway you'll just get in trouble" What if you have a large deposit or the till from the bar? "Do you" no "Oh your one of these question guys" What kind of answer was that?(I thought) Your handing this out, you have miss information and you don't even tell people that State Parks are off limits. "Well that's what the Sheriff told me to put." End of conversation.

Then I started thinking Any prohibited conduct Traffic ticket? Being under the influence of drugs or alcohol Does this mean my heart meds or tylenol?

Any Ideas? Should I go to the Sheriff?

Rick
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Might try talking to the Sheriff, but I'd contact the State Attorney General as well.

Under Idaho Title 18 Ch. 33, there don't appear to be any references to banks or bars as restricted places. Idaho's a shall-issue state. The sheriff is allowed discretion as to restrictions to be placed on CHL's issued to persons between the ages of 18-21, but not otherwise (so far as I can tell). Am not an Idaho citizen, myself, so ditto on the suggestion to check with the Attorney General. Or, check with the sheriff of another county, as a comparison. You might well have a gun-ho sheriff taking the law a bit further than the state legislature intended it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ...Or, check with the sheriff of another county, as a comparison. You might well have a gung-ho sheriff taking the law a bit further than the state legislature intended it.
    MOSCOW, Idaho (AP) - The sheriff of a north-central Idaho county where a shooting rampage left four dead and three wounded last May wants more people to obtain concealed weapons permits and carry guns, including on the University of Idaho campus, to improve public safety. http://www.tri-cityherald.com/tch/lo...-9120238c.html

I suspect that Sheriff Rausch would give you a straight answer. http://www.latah.id.us/

"The sheriff had me put that in, you don't need to have a gun there anyway you'll just get in trouble" Is this idiot for real. "You'll just get in trouble" I can't believe he actually said that. I'd be on the phone to the AG's office on this one for sure. I can tolerate a lot of things but arrogant and stupid isn't on the list.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Information from the Office of Attorney General of Idaho web page.

Concealed Weapons Permit FAQs

The Attorney Generalís Office receives a number of inquiries concerning Idaho law on concealed weapons permits. Therefore, we have developed a list of the most frequently asked questions and provided answers for your convenience.

Are there places where I cannot carry a concealed weapon even with a permit?

Yes. You may not carry a concealed weapon in a courthouse, juvenile detention facility, adult correctional facility, prison, jail, public school or private school.

Idaho Executive Order No. 2004-7 establishes the Idaho State Capitol Mall area as a weapon-free zone. In addition, other federal, state or local government entities may restrict carrying of weapons on their premises.

If you have any doubt, you should contact the government entity prior to carrying a weapon onto its premises.
    http://www2.state.id.us/ag/faq/conce...t%20in%20Idaho
    Μολὼν λαβέ

DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Your sherrif is a horses butt - VOTE THE DUMB*SS OUT OF OFFICE!!!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

obxned got it right, and in the mean time follow the state laws and you'll be OK.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Your sherrif is a horses butt - VOTE THE DUMB*SS OUT OF OFFICE!!!
    Good Idea but....
    I think the 'horses butt' should be set straight that he cannot legislate law.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    Should I go to the Sheriff?

Rick
    I wouldn't. The leaflet was obviously written by someone who didn't care whether it conformed to law. If the sheriff wrote it, you are never going to get him to admit error or retract the leaflet.

Sounds like you know and follow the law; just ignore this erroneous guide.

The only problem w/ ignoring it is that others are likely to receive the same piece of garbage flyer and most won't take the trouble to find out the truth.

I'd recommend you write a letter to the editor of your paper, and send a copy to the state office that oversees all LE agencies along with a request that that agency formally get the sherrif to correct the wrong information he promulgated.

It's LEOs like that who give the rest a bad name, and who unfortunately help the gun banners restrict our rights. Here in SC, most university police chiefs oppose carry on campus, a fact often referred to with delight by anti-gun groups.

Concealed Weapons Permit FAQs

The Attorney Generalís Office receives a number of inquiries concerning Idaho law on concealed weapons permits. Therefore, we have developed a list of the most frequently asked questions and provided answers for your convenience.

Are there places where I cannot carry a concealed weapon even with a permit?

Yes. You may not carry a concealed weapon in a courthouse, juvenile detention facility, adult correctional facility, prison, jail, public school or private school.

Idaho Executive Order No. 2004-7 establishes the Idaho State Capitol Mall area as a weapon-free zone. In addition, other federal, state or local government entities may restrict carrying of weapons on their premises.

If you have any doubt, you should contact the government entity prior to carrying a weapon onto its premises.
    So individual agencies can determine whether you can carry in a state office or not? Wow....talk about a patchwork of policies. Someone there need to work on state pre-emption, similar to VA

Carried in the county gov't buildings (not the courthouse), waved to the deputy...DMV....restaurant (OC)....haven't had a problem
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I'd go to the media with it.

Granted, most media is anti-gun, but I'll bet you'll find somebody in your local or regional media that is either honest as the day is long, willing to set a wrong right, or at the very least anti-Sheriff *****!

"Oh, you're one of those 'questions' guys."

Yet another reason to not ask an intelligent question of an LEO. My interpretation of that statement is that he thinks you're a smartass, because you questioned his authority.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Quote Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
    "Oh, you're one of those 'questions' guys."

Yet another reason to not ask an intelligent question of an LEO. My interpretation of that statement is that he thinks you're a smartass, because you questioned his authority.
    That was how I felt, what an a$$hole came to mind.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links