How many members CCW in Memphis area

This is a discussion on How many members CCW in Memphis area within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading the thread about the shooting at the U of M and didn't realize how many from W TN posted to the thread. ...

Thread: How many members CCW in Memphis area

How many members CCW in Memphis area

I was reading the thread about the shooting at the U of M and didn't realize how many from W TN posted to the thread. How many that post here are from the Memphis area and CCW? I know our numbers are growing, which is understandable considering that daily in the newspaper an on the news we hear of shootings and other violent crimes. I've only lived in Memphis since '98 but it seems like it gets worse every year. We're at the point that with the city government problems and the crime rate that we will be putting up our house for sale and moving out of State within the next 6 months.

2. Remove Ads

Sorry I did not see your thread this morning.

I live in the Memphis "area". I am in Shelby County. Out near the Shelby/Fayette County line but I do work in Memphis. At least for another day or two.

My family and I have lived here for 2 years as of today. And you are 100% correct, memphis can be a dangerous place. But, let's look at some things for a moment.
    While Memphis has the distinction of having the highest violent crime rate in the country (that's right, we are #1 over all, beating out DC, Detroit, Chicago, LA and all others) there is a rather specific group of the population here that the violent crimes effect the most. Gang members and drug users.
    By and large, the murders that happen in Memphis are gang members killing other gang members or drug dealers/users killing thier own kind. You almost never hear of a tourist being killed here. So, while we do have a high violent crime rate, if you are not a scum bag and you stay the heck out of Memphis after about 6pm, you are mostly going to be OK.

Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying the there isn't anything for the rest of us non-scum bags to worry about. just that it isn't qite as bad as the MSM makes it out to be.

With all that being said, my wife and I always carry, even at home. Even in the safe little town we live in, we carry every waking moment.

I tend to open carry in our town and as far towards Memphis as Bartlett but not in the city of Memphis. (the Memphis PD is not known for training its officers on civilian carry, open or concealed). And, it is a fairly well known and accepted fact that there are active gang members on the Memphis PD. How's that for scary?

There are a lot of us who carry, both open and concealed in the Memphis area. More and more of us every day in fact. Shelby County has more carry permits issued to it than any other county in the state, by far.

So don't every think you are on your own out there.

PM me some time and maybe we can go shooting at RangeUSA. I can always use another shooting buddy.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sorry,
    Have not had a chance to look at the boards in a few days.

I have lived in Memphis all my life till 20 years ago. I moved 3 miles across the Fayette county line. I work in Memphis, but will never live there again. I carry all the time. work, church, Walmart.....Never with out it.

It think it is like car insurance..... Just because I'm insured, I'm not going to drive like a idot, and like Car insurance, it is the only thing that will work if you need it. Home owners will not help in a wreck, and 911 will not help if you are being robbed.

And like car insurance, I HOPE I never have to use it.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Hey Tankdriver. Long time no see. How are things in Fayette Co.? I should be riding by you tomorrow as I ride from Arlington to Somerville on my bicycle Saturday afternoon.

Chime in more, I like hearing from the other members from our area.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Hey Tankdriver. Long time no see. How are things in Fayette Co.? I should be riding by you tomorrow as I ride from Arlington to Somerville on my bicycle Saturday afternoon.

Chime in more, I like hearing from the other members from our area.

Sorry for being gone, I ended up in the hospitial for 2 weeks, had diverticulitis. White blood count going in was 24,500. Should be around 9,000. I had 3 different anti-botics in the tubes all the time, and Darvin every 2 hrs for pain.

Just getting back to work.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

My wife and I live just inside Memphis city limits near Germantown. We've been here about 6 years. I got my HCP last year and she just finished classes at Rangemaster a week ago. Although I don't feel in danger in Memphis, I would say it's riskier in the city than most parts of the county. I'm attending the Shelby County Citizens Academy once a week until November. It's a real eye-opener about the gang and drug problems that cover all Shelby county. Hello west Tennessee!

Lived in Memphis all my life (53 yrs) and would have to say that in the last (20) years Memphis has been on a major downhill slide. As Mike stated, we are #1 in the country for violent crime and several times in the 90's Memphis was the murder capital of the U.S. It has been stated by MPD that Memphis has a representitive of every gang throughout the U.S. There were (3) reported shootings again today as there are (3)-(5) reported shootings everyday! This is getting to be so common place that I am actually becoming numb to the news of shootings in this town. When I here the shootings are gang on gang related, I'm actually a little relieved to know that these thugs are killing each other. One less gang member in Memphis....one less future shooting!

As far as your OP, my carry gun is just like my American Express card, I don't leave home without it.

Stay Safe in Memphis!
    Stay Armed in Memphis!
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

I've been here nearly three years, live here 5/6 days a week the go home for peace and quiet(yeah right). Had my permit a few months now, carry always. The area I work in is on the news quite often. Hope to get to more peacful surroundings soon.

When I first came to Memphis in the late 50's it was the nicest and prettiest city that I had ever seen. Being an enlisted man in the US Navy I finally arrived in the city for keeps in the early 70's. Much has changed since that time, one thing being my transfer to Tipton county. There is no Utopia but I live in a much more peacful neighborhood. Our problem is that refugees from Memphis are coming here as well as the other counties that surround Memphis. Some of the bad actors from the city follow the money into the suburban areas and bring their trouble along with them. Memphis proper is a third world country with all of the problems associated with that unique situation. I have had a HCP since the beginning and would feel naked without the familar weight on my hip, but there are areas that I choose not to visit within the city in the light of day let alone in the darkness of the night. I felt safer in Hong Kong than I do in Memphis.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Links