Travling to Texas (No gun for my trip)!

This is a discussion on Travling to Texas (No gun for my trip)! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really wish we had nation wide ccw. I've got to go to Dallas in a couple of weeks, and since Ohio and Texas don't ...

Thread: Travling to Texas (No gun for my trip)!

Travling to Texas (No gun for my trip)!

I really wish we had nation wide ccw. I've got to go to Dallas in a couple of weeks, and since Ohio and Texas don't have a reciprocity agreement, I have to go unarmed.

Even If Ohio and Texas did get along, I'd have issues with my employer. Per their rules, I'm not allowed to carry while on conducting company business. This wouldn't stop me, but the law surly will.

Oh well, hopefully nothing will happen and I'll return home safe and able to defend myself once again.

2. Remove Ads

That is what non-resident CHLs are for. My PA non-res covers Texas.

I'm all for Ohio / Texas reciprocity too. My Mom is in Ohio and it is the only state on my trip I can't carry.

10-4 on the get a non resident CHL. I will get a UT one instead of a FL one because of the lower renewal cost.

Quote Originally Posted by chenemf View Post
    I'm all for Ohio / Texas reciprocity too.
    +1,000 !! What is the hangup between these two states?
    Chuck

Get a non-resident from some reciprocal state. In the meantime can you carry a less-than-lethal weapon on your person? Spray, baton, pocket knife come to mind.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Get a non-resident from some reciprocal state. In the meantime can you carry a less-than-lethal weapon on your person? Spray, baton, pocket knife come to mind.
    I don't have time to look it up, but I don't think the baton would be legal in TX.

Go for PA permit

Hi,

I would fill out the app for PA tomorrow and get it in the mail.
    If you don't leave for two weeks you may just get the permit
    in time.

Check the information at handgunlaw.us
    and PA app here:
    http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/l...pplication.htm
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    TX recently passed a law allowing a loaded pistol to be accessible in the vehicle without a permit. (CO and NM also have similar laws.) My CO permit is accepted by TX, but if it weren't, I would at least be armed in the car while in TX.

As an aside, I have a FL permit so I can be legal in OH. It seems to me that the OH Attorney General needs to loosen up.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    TX recently passed a law allowing a loaded pistol to be accessible in the vehicle without a permit.
    I wouldn't count on it.

Texas always had a "traveling" exemption but traveling wasn't defined and wasn't a defense against prosecution. It was up to you to prove that you actually were traveling in a court of law.

Traveling is now defined but it is not a defense against prosecution. The difference is that the prosecutor must prove that you were not traveling. Many County DA's have publicly announced their intent to continue to prosecute and DPS has posted this on their website.

Just to add insult to injury, many LEO's are not well informed regarding CHL and firearms laws and that could make it a headache even if you were within the law.

I've seen CHL holders guns seized because they were found loaded during a traffic stop. I've had friendly LEO's telling me that you can't carry in a convenience store because they sell beer and I've seen BATFE called in to a traffic stop because the driver had an AR and no carry permit.

If you carry without a CHL permit, carry at your own risk.
    Packin' Heat Leather
    Galco & Bianchi Dealer
    McAllen, Texas USA

I thought about the non-res permit, but since I never (until now) travel to a state that don't honor Ohio I haven't had a need or the cash to apply (kids are cash guzzlers). I'll be in Texas for 2 days and it will more than likely be another 16 years before I have a need to travel. Not really a good excuse, it's always better to be prepared. I travel a lot to Kentucky, but there's no problem there, the only other places I travel to on a semi regular basis is Germany or the UK (nuff said about those places). My company just purchased a company in Texas and I'm going down to deliver our computer equipment and set them up on our network. After that it's all remote support from there.

Just a general note to Geno and others reading this thread. If you are going to go for a non-resident permit, get one from Florida. Lots of states are reviewing UT permit reciprocity because of some issue they are having. Arizona recently canceled their reciprocity with UT since some people that were prohibited possessors in AZ were getting UT permits. Clearly the UT background checks have some issues.

Just my $.02
    Doug Little

Lead Instructor, Armed Personal Defense Institute
    http://www.armedpersonaldefense.com

Staff Instructor, Suarez International
    http://www.suarezinternational.com

Links