Question Re: Condition 1 Carry in DA Only Pistols

This is a discussion on Question Re: Condition 1 Carry in DA Only Pistols within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok - so my new FE Walther PPS arrived (beautiful pistol) and I am trying to decide on the carry condition. Let me preface this ...

Thread: Question Re: Condition 1 Carry in DA Only Pistols

Question Re: Condition 1 Carry in DA Only Pistols

Ok - so my new FE Walther PPS arrived (beautiful pistol) and I am trying to decide on the carry condition. Let me preface this by saying that I have NOT range tested the gun and until I do I won't be carrying it at all. I mention that because I need to qualify the statements I am going to make about the pistol. My original intention had been to carry this gun in "Condition One" (round in the chamber) but since testing the pull on the trigger and getting a feel for the action I am a bit concerned about doing so.

The pistol relies on the trigger safety and the fact that it is DA only to ensure that there will not be an accidental discharge. With a heavy enough trigger pull that would be fine, but I was a bit surprised at just how light the pressure required to bring the weapon to the "cocked" position is. I am concerned about it enough that I have actually been carrying it as a 2nd gun for several days with the slide racked as if there was one in the chamber, just to see how easy it might be to accidentally "drop" the hammer. So far no issues.

Can anyone help allay my concerns about the safety of the weapon for concealed carry in Condition 1? I know the gun is supposed to be as safe a Glock for carry, but I seem to remember the Glock having a heavier pull.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    It was designed to be carried with a round in the chamber.

If it is carried in a proper holster with covers the trigger, and you keep your booger hook off the bang switch, why would it discharge?

If it is DAO what difference does racking the slide make?

The only safety mechanism on any firearm rests between the operator's ears.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

You should be treating that weapon as if it were ALWAYS loaded anyway...so why not keep it loaded (one in the chamber)?

It's a finger thing...get the muscle memory going now...and depend upon it!

My Glock is always loaded with one in the chamber, and I realize that making it go 'bang' is a tad easier than my 1911 Kimber, but knowing that it IS the 'finger safety' that is the final 'fail safe' action, I have no ill feelings about having 'one in the chamber'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There is no such thing as an accidental discharge. You need to pull the trigger to make it go bang.

Get a good holster and belt combo to carry it loaded with one in the camber. All my carry guns are DAO with no safety other then the one between my ears.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Please Mr. BG don't kill me while I take the time to rack one in the pipe to defend myself... Yeah keep one in the chamber at all times, like it was said always treat any gun as it were loaded.

Heck when at the gun store and asking to see a particular weapon they always check before handing it to me, and I will check it again every time, sometimes I will get quizzed on it, my response is always the same "just being safe"
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I only carry DA/SA autos except for retro revolver day. I have failed to flip a safety at matches so I will not trust it in a life situation. (1911 guys . . . this is just my opinion) That said one should ALWAYS be in the pipe.

carry it loaded
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Hawk, do as you wish, but I can pretty much assure you that in a self-defense situation there will be little time to spare even with one in the chamber. Add to that the need to be composed enough to remember to rack the slide and maintain the motor skills to do so and you've given an even bigger edge to the BG.

I'd recommend carrying with one in the pipe. Good luck.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Hawk,

I can understand your hesitation with a new weapon that you are unfamiliar with.

I think you are doing fine carrying the Walther with the chamber empty. If this is what makes you feel comfortable right now than do it. You will find in a short amount of time that there is no way the trigger will pull itself. It has to be interacted with.

I am assuming that you are carrying it in a proper holster. If you aren't than stop carrying it until you get one. The holster is what covers the trigger guard and makes everything nice and rosey. A holster that doesn't do it's job is worthless and dangerous.

You need to be comfortable with your CC weapon. If carrying it unloaded will build up your confidence then continue to do so. However, remember that it is worthless for self defense when carried in such a manor. You mentioned that you are carrying it as a second weapon right now... I think that's a good idea.

Carry your Walther to build confidence, but depend on your regular CCW weapon until you can safely make the transition.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I should have been clearer with my question, I absolutely will NOT carry the gun unless I am comfortable with having a round in the pipe. When I said that my original intention was to carry it with a round chambered I should have said, "I will only carry it with a round chambered". If I don't get comfortable then that means I just bought a very expensive paperweight.

My concern isn't that the pistol is DA only, its that I am carrying weapon that is as yet untested in the field and which seems to have a VERY light trigger pull. I am definately carrying it in a holster (I feel like Wild Bill carrying two guns).

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Ok - so my new FE Walther PPS arrived (beautiful pistol) and I am trying to decide on the carry condition. Let me preface this by saying that I have NOT range tested the gun and until I do I won't be carrying it at all. I mention that because I need to qualify the statements I am going to make about the pistol. My original intention had been to carry this gun in "Condition One" (round in the chamber) but since testing the pull on the trigger and getting a feel for the action I am a bit concerned about doing so.

The pistol relies on the trigger safety and the fact that it is DA only to ensure that there will not be an accidental discharge. With a heavy enough trigger pull that would be fine, but I was a bit surprised at just how light the pressure required to bring the weapon to the "cocked" position is. I am concerned about it enough that I have actually been carrying it as a 2nd gun for several days with the slide racked as if there was one in the chamber, just to see how easy it might be to accidentally "drop" the hammer. So far no issues.

Can anyone help allay my concerns about the safety of the weapon for concealed carry in Condition 1? I know the gun is supposed to be as safe a Glock for carry, but I seem to remember the Glock having a heavier pull.
    YOU NEED TO READ THE MANUAL !

The PPS ALSO Has an Internal Striker Safety.

You might want to read this review also.

"The trigger on the PPS is a revelation. The pistol is a striker-fired design where you cock the striker as part of the trigger stroke. On the PPS the trigger feel is simple: You take up the slack (which is the cocking part of things), and then you press through the clean, crisp pull that feels a whole lot like a 1911 trigger. Let it forward to reset, and repeat."

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_han...807/index.html

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    My concern isn't that the pistol is DA only, its that I am carrying weapon that is as yet untested in the field and which seems to have a VERY light trigger pull. I am definately carrying it in a holster (I feel like Wild Bill carrying two guns).
    It's untested by you and you're unfamiliar with it, that's understandable. However, with regard to the light trigger pull, consider that the manufacturer has to be able to justify their design decisions in court with millions of dollars on the line. One whiff of an unintentional discharge inflicting harm and caused by an aspect of the weapon's design and lawyers will be all over it like fat kid on cake.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Links