Now I Know Of Another Person Who Carries In Our Church...

This is a discussion on Now I Know Of Another Person Who Carries In Our Church... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Given that whackos often select a church for their multiple homicide plan, I'm certain to always be armed there. Well, yesterday I learned of another ...

Given that whackos often select a church for their multiple homicide plan, I'm certain to always be armed there. Well, yesterday I learned of another person from our church who likely carries in church as well.

My wife and I decided to grab a late lunch at a nearby restaurant. As we opened the door to enter, a fellow I've seen in church was walking out. We exchanged greetings on the move, but being in an awkward position holding the door we couldn't shake hands.

So, as I said hello I reach out to give what I'd call a slap on the shoulder...well, I missed and my hand tapped him near the side of his chest, right onto what was clearly a pistol in a shoulder holster beneath his suit coat. He was mildly shocked, but I gave him a "knowing but unalarmed" look and we continued on our way. I'd guess we'll end up chatting a bit about concealed carry the next time we see each other in church.

My wife and I will be discreet about this, but both found it comforting to know that he carries. He's an active and rather prominent professional in our church and it was refreshing to learn that in addition he is wise enough to carry.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

+1... just goes to show what the sheep don't know.

There's a lot of people who CCW that no one knows or is any wiser about.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I agree, I have a game I like to play when out in public, usually the mall while the honey shops. I try and see who I can ID as gun toter. Of course the only ones I spot are those that don't conceal very well, so I figure for every one that I spot I hope there is at least another 5-10 that I don't. What is sad is the majority of my friends that have a permit just leave it in their truck or car. I try and convince them but most just don't feel the need since we live in Mayberry RFD, literally!! Stuff happens everywhere!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Ron
    You just never know. Recently, I learned to my pleasant surprise, that two people, one a member of the gym I work out at, and the other a member of my Temple, both carry. I would never have suspected this.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Our church secretary, a 60-something grandmother, carries her "9" with her all the time, even to church on Sunday. I OC alot and when I run into someone from church they always mention my pistola to which I usually reply, "I cannot remember the last time we were together and I didn't have a gun on me." They are usually surprised, then relieved. We have had a couple of problems at church over the last few years with armed robbery in the parking lot and a woman held at knife point and almost raped inside the church. I don't go too many places without a gun in Memphis.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Always good to know you have kindred spirits nearby. I haven't spotted anyone for sure at my church, but there are people I suspect carry (other than my dad and me).
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I'd guess you'd call that .."Packin for the Lord?"
    XD9SC, S&W 637
    Taurus 85, SKS
    Nevada CCW
    Utah CCW

Show them the articles .......

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I agree, I have a game I like to play when out in public, usually the mall while the honey shops. I try and see who I can ID as gun toter. Of course the only ones I spot are those that don't conceal very well, so I figure for every one that I spot I hope there is at least another 5-10 that I don't. What is sad is the majority of my friends that have a permit just leave it in their truck or car. I try and convince them but most just don't feel the need since we live in Mayberry RFD, literally!! Stuff happens everywhere!!

About that nice family in CT that lived in an upper class neighborhood that were raped and murdered awhile back. They never thought it would ever happen to them where they live too.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

When I lived in Florida, one of the church ladies kept a small Lorcin or something like that in her purse.

Up here in MN a church lady was gonna give me a stick of gum as we were waiting for services to begin. Then she says 'don't look in my purse - got my pistol in there' (she runs Caribbean style restaurant in a crappy part of town).

I think there are more women who have purse guns that we think.

Unlike guys, they don't say much about it and they don't have guns because they like guns - or because they believe in the 2A ... they have them because they might have to get a creep off their back in a hurry. They 'always carry, never tell'.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Congratulations, you have perfected the pseudo-accidental frisk.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I know others have sidearms, too, at our church...and it's one reason I prefer 'handshakes' to 'hugs'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have carried in Church since I was issued my permit. It is illegal in Louisiana to carry in Church, but, I feel that if I am forced to use my weapon in Church, it will be a situation RED. After that, I really won't care what the bleeding hearts will say about it. I am the Sound Engineer, so I sit in a booth at the rear of the Church with an excellent view of the entrance and the congregation. At this point in my life, I would gladly suffer through the consequences if it would save a child or two. Yhe only people aware of my CCW is the Pastor, he is my fishing buddy, and my wife. The Pastor has adopted a :Don't ask don't tell policy. Works for me. Those same sheep that would be appalled at me carrying a pistol to Church, would certainly welcome it if some crazed ex came into our Sanctuary waving a gun around looking for his estranged wife. Just do a Google search for "Church Shootings", you will be amazed at the lack of publicity these attacks receive. Seems like the wolves know we are not supposed to carry in Church. Surprise, surprise, I will play sheepdog.
    Danny

The Lord said, upon this Glock didn't he? <grin>
    How bout, WWJC (What would Jesus carry?) <grin>
    I have to put <grin> in there because some do not know real from tongue in cheek humor here..
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

I don't know if anyone else carries in our church...I know of one guy whos' a cop,but not sure if he carries(they're not mandated to here).There is about 1000 people in our church,so probably on the law of averages there may be others who carry....I'd hate to think if something "went down"the only person doing something would be me and my j-frame.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Links