CCW license for non-resident aliens from a state that WA honors?

This is a discussion on CCW license for non-resident aliens from a state that WA honors? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As some of you might remember, I am a green card holder and am about to move to the U.S. soon and have chosen the ...

Thread: CCW license for non-resident aliens from a state that WA honors?

Question CCW license for non-resident aliens from a state that WA honors?

As some of you might remember, I am a green card holder and am about to move to the U.S. soon and have chosen the state of Washington as my new home.

By pure coincidence, I found this little piece of information on the WA Department of Licensing homepage:
    Special alert for alien firearms license applicants

We are unable to issue alien firearms licenses at this time. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has told law enforcement agencies it is against federal law to use federal databases for background checks if the law enforcement agencies share the results with a non-criminal justice agency such as the Department of Licensing. This means law enforcement agencies cannot perform the background checks required by state law for issuing an alien firearms license. Without these background checks, we cannot complete the application process or issue alien firearms licenses.
    Knowing federal bureaucracy, I don't expect this to change back to normal. Ever.

Then I had an idea:

Does anyone know if there is a state that issues CCW licenses honored by Washington to permanent resident aliens who do not reside in that state and have no CCW license in their resident state?

Or do I have to change my plans altogether and move to a different state?

I have already looked on handgunlaws.us, but it's hard to even figure out which states' licenses are honored by WA. Mostly try-and-error, because reciprocity sites only list which states honor the license(s) you already have, not which licenses you need to carry in a specific state. Also, the laws for resident aliens are often different and obscure.

I'll keep looking, but if anyone is particularly well-versed in the CCW laws of their state, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

2. Remove Ads

Doesnt make sense

using the argument they put forward, the same restrictions would apply to ANY license, citizen or not. They can't use the federal database if the info in it goes outside LEO? Everyone gets the FBI check.

Sounds to me like they are trying it on.

Remember all that debate over giving non LEO access to firearm purchase records? Looks like a similar thing twisted around.

See? They do it one bit at a time. Use the law to stop law abiding permanent residents (who, by the very fact that they have a green card have been through a solid FBI check already) getting a firearm. Then, once thats done, move on to the next demograph.

Scary stuff.

Who Honors my permit from the main page

Bottom half of the page

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

Washington honors: MI, MS, NC, OH, OK, LA, UT

Regardless, I would not move to Washington if you are more "conservative" by nature. Just me, but I would avoid the "left" coast at all costs given the opportunity. One must only look at policies, representatives and such, and you will see what I am referring to.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

http://www.atg.wa.gov/page.aspx?ID=2334
    If the above conditions are met, the concealed weapons permit of an out-of-state resident will be recognized in Washington as long as the permit holder does not become a resident of Washington State.

If you are a resident of Washington State then you must have a Washington State CPL to carry concealed.
    Deadly Force is Only Used to Save Your Life or a Life of Another.
    Anything else has non lethal options.
    Packing4Life

Formerly Utah was best, but now...

Of the states mentioned above, Utah is the best bet for a non resident CCW permit that is honored by Washington state. Roughly 1000 foreign nationals, mainly Canadians, have a Utah CCW permit that is good in about 30 states in the US, including Washington.

But Utah BCI, the state agency that handles CCW permits, may have recently changed their policies in this regard. See the linked article:

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/238793/

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    If you are a resident of Washington State then you must have a Washington State CPL to carry concealed.
    Well, I guess this settles it. Time to look into the carry laws of other states. I'll start with PA.

Thanks a lot, especially to BigDave and FN1910.

What made you choose WA in the first place? Is there something specific you plan on doing? What makes PA your second choice?

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Of the states mentioned above, Utah is the best bet for a non resident CCW permit that is honored by Washington state. Roughly 1000 foreign nationals, mainly Canadians, have a Utah CCW permit that is good in about 30 states in the US, including Washington.

But Utah BCI, the state agency that handles CCW permits, may have recently changed their policies in this regard. See the linked article:

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/238793/
    Sorry, not true anymore. The Dem gov. of WA has now decreed that non residents CANNOT carry in WA state. I used to visit to see a marine friend of mine and we used to go shooting all the time. Not anymore. You can have all the CCW's you like, but unless you are a resident of WA state, you can't legally carry.

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    What made you choose WA in the first place?
    Well, I am looking for a carry-friendly state with large metropolitan areas (I figure it's easier to find work there), but not so large or densely populated that the crime rate is off the scale. Then there is the climate and... something else that I'm not comfortable talking about here.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    There seems to be moves afoot to prevent non-American from getting CCW, I know the guy up here who trains Canadians is working to force Utah to issue, as there are no really laws preventing them from doing so, more the opinions of a few officals who don't like it.

Actually, there are moves afoot to prevent all Americans from getting CCW licenses. They just found a minority group that's easy to start with, because even many 2A supporters would say that the 2A applies only to American Citizens.

I think there were one or two threads about just this topic here very recently.

Links