Moving, can I still keep my license?

This is a discussion on Moving, can I still keep my license? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an Oklahoma CC license, I will be moving to WI, can still carry in other approved states, or do I have to give ...

Thread: Moving, can I still keep my license?

Moving, can I still keep my license?

I have an Oklahoma CC license, I will be moving to WI, can still carry in other approved states, or do I have to give up my license when I'm no longer an OK resident?

Scott

2. Remove Ads

Perhaps a knowledgeable OK resident will know, for certain. Your sheriff will likely know. The attorney general's office certainly should.

You have a resident OK license but will no longer be a resident. I know of nothing that exempts CHL's to be treated any differently than state driving licenses. Generally speaking, those still serve as your ID but the residency info is now obsolete.

A quick search of the OK 2005 Self Defense Act shows 21 O.S. § 1290.9 requires that an applicant establish OK residency, or to be on active military duty in OK while possessing a driving license or ID from another state.

Though, it doesn't look like there are any requirements to surrender the license upon moving out of the state.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Generally, a resident CCW permit is good for only that state; yes, they may have reciprocal agreements with other states, but you no longer claim your resident state (who issued the license) as your resident. In other words, that license becomes null and void since you no longer live there. Some jurisdiction may require you to surrender your license if you claim another state for residency.

That said, I do not know OK's specific permit regulations/laws.

Does OK have a non-resident permit (like FL)? If it does not, then you might just have to obtain a WI permit as I suspect (but don't know for sure) that your OK will not be good in WI since you are no longer a resident of OK.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I wouldn't do that move for a million dollar a year job.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    If it does not, then you might just have to obtain a WI permit...
    The WI concealed carry permit does not exist, and WI recognizes no other such state permit, of course.

WI missed it by one vote last time it came up. As for not moving for a million dollar a year job, thats not really relevant to this discussion, obviously its not an option. I was just hoping to keep my license for when we travel out of state. My father lives in FL, so maybe when I visit I can apply for an non resident license.

Scott

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    The WI concealed carry permit does not exist, and WI recognizes no other such state permit, of course.
    Bummer.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Administrator
    Get a Fla non resident. Your OK carry permit is no good, just like your drivers permit once you take up residence in WI. WI isnt so bad, there is a lot of great hunting there....
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    WI isnt so bad, there is a lot of great hunting there....
    Yeah, but the deer and bear don't shoot back. The criminals do, though.

Some parts of Wisconsin are truly beautiful. There are some tremendously low land/house prices to be found, so long as you're going outside the larger towns. And the hunting, of course. Colder 'n' a son of a gun, in the winter, at times. What do you do when the entire lake freezes solid? Pull out the snowmobile, of course!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Special Note Here...

Quote Originally Posted by scott4957 View Post
    WI missed it by one vote last time it came up. As for not moving for a million dollar a year job, thats not really relevant to this discussion, obviously its not an option. I was just hoping to keep my license for when we travel out of state. My father lives in FL, so maybe when I visit I can apply for an non resident license.

Scott
    Be careful about FL...

790.015 Nonresidents who are United States citizens and hold a concealed weapons license in another state; reciprocity.--

(1) Notwithstanding s. 790.01, a resident of the United States who is a nonresident of Florida may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm while in this state if the nonresident:

(a) Is 21 years of age or older; and

(b) Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence.

(2) A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed.

(3) If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by registering to vote, or making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17, or filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state, the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence. This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenseholders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.

If you carry in FL (other than planning a move here) you must be a resident of the state from which you have residence in, and, that state must be recognized by FL.

Florida does not issue non-resident permits, just permits with your home address on it.
    Not good if you don't live in FL, but could suffice in other states that do not require you to be a resident of the state your permit is from...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links