had an interesting encounter with an LEO...

This is a discussion on had an interesting encounter with an LEO... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I find it alittle amusing that the officer, after seeing you had a CWP, ask you about the integrity of the others in the car. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: had an interesting encounter with an LEO...

I find it alittle amusing that the officer, after seeing you had a CWP, ask you about the integrity of the others in the car. Strikes me as odd.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Dang good encounter! The only encounter I ever had was a good one and I sent an attaboy even though I never cought his name either. I'd hope you do the same, it doesn't take that much time, you can do it by e-mail, and I think it'll do more good for us than just about anything else. If we as a community make it a point to do everything in our power to reward the good ones and punish the bad ones the good ones are gonna get more prevalent.

Good Vibes.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Have to agree...from what you wrote...sounds like kudos all around. Recently, a lot of flack over the LEO shooting...and youth being an issue...you sure handled yourself very well.

Rick

VIP Member
    Good for you. I always worry about being a rider in someone elses car too. You're just lucky you were able to discretely talk to him..

Quote Originally Posted by bacchus99 View Post
    I find it alittle amusing that the officer, after seeing you had a CWP, ask you about the integrity of the others in the car. Strikes me as odd.
    Not me - he knew the CWP was a "good guy" that was riding with not famililar persons...........

wyo-man

MI drivers license-CPL

I did not realize that running the driver's license would indicate that you had a CPL. Is that new?

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by bacchus99 View Post
    I have had a similar experence.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Quote Originally Posted by ecbaatz View Post
    I did not realize that running the driver's license would indicate that you had a CPL. Is that new?

Eric
    That is how it is supposed to work in Missouri.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I wonder if he had a video recording system in his cruiser. The recording should be used in the academy to show others how things should be done.
    I wouldnt go that far, I see a few critical errors made but thats not the point of the thread. I am glad that the OP was pleased with the experiance.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I wonder if he had a video recording system in his cruiser. The recording should be used in the academy to show others how things should be done.
    The cop had a surprised look on his face when friesepferd told him that he had a gun on him, because he had assumed that the gun was in the bag in the car. What is so admirable about that manner of finding out? In the time of the interaction, between being told of the CPL and asking where it was, friesepferd could have used that gun against him because all the while, the officer had been thinking the gun was packed away.

I'm quite surprised that people here are not bugged by the idea that for a license plate light being out, the passengers of the car had to produce identification!

What if they had said no? A big hassle and delay while ... what? Officer Thorough obtains a warrant? Gets a dog sent to the scene? Just because the citizens had the temerity to assert their rights? We aren't supposed to have to "show our papersss" to the gestapo.

I want to know why that was deemed necessary, since there wasn't JACK for PROBABLE CAUSE, and you guys are singing this cop's praises.

Some of you will sing that old song about "so the officer can go home at night," but that doesn't (or shouldn't) trump citizens' rights.

To me, it sounded like the OP, so happy to have his new CPL, was just itching to tell a cop he was carrying (for reasons unknown to me). Is it to be thought of as "one of the boys" or something? I just don't get it. There was no need to tell the cop about a gun being carried legally, particularly when it is not at all going to be brought into play. The OP wasn't going to shoot the cop, right? And if he was, he wouldn't have first said, "Uh, officer, I'm carrying a gun and I have a license to do so."

It's seeming more and more these days like this board is full of serial confessors!

I'm going to chalk that one up to it being late ^^

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Sure, it's late, but I'm still asking legitimate questions.

I want to know why suddenly everyone is apparently ok with cops asking for (demanding?) ID from everyone in the car. And why they're saying this cop did a great job when really the OP could've had the drop on him at any time.

Sounds to me like a cop on a fishing expedition. There is no cause to run IDs of passengers when there is no suspicious activity. How do I know there was no suspicious activity? Because if there had been, the cop would've had everyone cuffed and searched, because when folk're acting suspicious, there's his probable cause.

I don't see cause to champion this cop, or give him a written "attaboy" as some are calling it.

Now, I'm not sure of the law, but I do know that in certain places a CPL holder has to "inform"... But as a back-seat passenger?? I never heard of that. The passenger is not the subject of the stop. There needs to be more discussion of this event, and less okey-dokin' what the participants did.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Sure, it's late, but I'm still asking legitimate questions.

I want to know why suddenly everyone is apparently ok with cops asking for (demanding?) ID from everyone in the car. And why they're saying this cop did a great job when really the OP could've had the drop on him at any time.

Sounds to me like a cop on a fishing expedition. There is no cause to run IDs of passengers when there is no suspicious activity. How do I know there was no suspicious activity? Because if there had been, the cop would've had everyone cuffed and searched, because when folk're acting suspicious, there's his probable cause.

I don't see cause to champion this cop, or give him a written "attaboy" as some are calling it.

Now, I'm not sure of the law, but I do know that in certain places a CPL holder has to "inform"... But as a back-seat passenger?? I never heard of that. The passenger is not the subject of the stop. There needs to be more discussion of this event, and less okey-dokin' what the participants did.
    I would like to hear from some of our LEO members and/or criminal attorneys on this. I dont like to offer up my opinion on matters that I am not an expert on. Questions: Did the officer have a right to ask for ID of the passengers? Was the officer's actions questionable relative to how he handled the CCW passenger? And, if so, what did he do wrong?

Thanks.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Peacefuljeffrey, whereas he probably did not have to produce the CCL, there are still some grey areas and he opted to cover his backside. This should not be an attacking point. Not saying that you were, only that it came across that way. IMO, congrats are in order for the judgment call made.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links