What DO you think?

What DO you think?

This is a discussion on What DO you think? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If one is driving in his carry state (say WV) without a weapon and gets stopped in WV by a LEO...does that individual need to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What DO you think?

What DO you think?

If one is driving in his carry state (say WV) without a weapon and gets stopped in WV by a LEO...does that individual need to show his CCW permit, like usual, and then explain that no weapon is present; or do you think that person should shut up?????

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    If your state requires LEO notification, then your answer is simple - yes. If not, then I would still say yes, since it is likely your home state LEO's would see your permit pop up when they run your ID.

If there isn't a law requiring you to notify, I see no sense in it. Some people mention to try to get out of a ticket, but I don't suggest it.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

I don't see any need to show your permit if you don't have a weapon. But that's just me...

In Michigan you have to show both state ID and CPL reguardless.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    I'ma gonna notify officer that I have a CCW permit, but have no weapon on me.

I know that IN if I'm the RO of the vehicle, and my plates get run, it gets flagged that I have a handgun permit!

I'd rather set the officer at ease and tell him that I don't have a weapon...even though I do have the permit.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    It is my understanding that you have to notify the officer that you have a weapon. If you are not carrying there is nothing to notify. Standard procedure here is for the officer to notify you for the reason you were stopped and to ask if you have any weapons in the car. Since our state has a peaceful journey law. Anyone can have a loaded weapon in their car while traveling here.

Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

You guys and gals are so quick and smart. I love the feedback and straight-up honest answers. I for one, would never be without my weapon, but then that's a different story!

no weapon--no notification

weapon?--default to the rules of your state and exercise personal judgement.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I would definitely notify. When they run you and get the return they will most likely know you have a permit. If you fail to mention it I imagine they might start to wonder why. If they start to wonder about that it might make them overly curious and inquisitive. What could be a two minute stop could turn into ten minutes. I have better things to do than sit on the side of the road waiting for them to satisfy their curiosity.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    In some states I can see a reason to notify. In Arizona, your permit is tied to your license. So even if you don't tell them you have a permit or a weapon, they'll be asking when they come back. But here they ALWAYS ask you about firearms or weapons first before they even ask for license and registration.

In any other state, *if* I don't have the sidearm I won't bother to inform I have a permit. What's the point? I don't carry to impress LEO's. However if I have my firearm, I will ALWAYS inform. Officer safety and my own.

That's just my take on it.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I will put in my .02 since I am a fellow mountaineer. I always hand mine over with the DL, just as a "tip of the hat sort of thing " to the officer. If he/she asks I just tell him it is not in the car, though that is very rare. It is better to tell them and them expect it. than it to pull up on a computer screen, and them come back and ask the uneasy "why did you not tell me?"questions.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

In NC the law states this.

When approached or addressed by any officer, you must disclose the fact that you have
    a valid concealed handgun permit and inform the officer that you are in possession of a
    concealed handgun.

You must inform the officer even if you have a permit and are not carring at the time.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    In Oklahoma the Self Defense Act clearly states that if a CHL holder is NOT carrying, there is no need to notify the officer of your status -- it is only when you are actually in possession of a gun that you must notify.

I'm not certain but I THINK that in OK the cops computers don't show the CHL status along with the driver license.

Whenever I am out and about in the car, I carry so this hasn't come up for me personally.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    In Michigan you have to show both state ID and CPL reguardless.
    Not so. The law provides that one only has to inform if one is carrying. I carry a printout of the applicable law in my vehicle in case there's any discussion about CPLs.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links