Question about CCW in Southern State Parks

This is a discussion on Question about CCW in Southern State Parks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, I could use some help regarding handgun laws in some south eastern state parks. I am looking to go camping in Tennessee, Georgia, ...

Hi everyone,

I could use some help regarding handgun laws in some south eastern state parks. I am looking to go camping in Tennessee, Georgia, or South Carolina. I have a Tennessee Handgun permit and Georgia and South Carolina have reciprocity agreements with Tennessee. I was using the http://www.handgunlaw.us/ website as my primary source of information; however I am confused concerning the difference between the “State/National Forest” category and the “State Parks” category. The handgunlaw.us website claims that firearms can be carried in state parks but not state forests. The information on the State of Tennessee website seems to suggest otherwise (http://www.state.tn.us/environment/p...shtml#firearms ). I feel like I practically have to have a doctorate in jurisprudence in order to carry and not end up breaking a law along the way. Anyways, to finally get to my point, I was under the impression I could carry in South Carolina public parks; however I was also under the impression I could carry in Tennessee based on the handgunlaw.us website which seemed to be proven wrong. I do realize it is difficult to prove that I can carry somewhere because a website is unlikely to say “Firearms are permitted.” So, where the hell can I carry? It seems I can't trust my source and is hard to find proof that I can do something. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

As far as Tennessee, look at http://michie.lexisnexis.com/tenness...main-h.htm&cp=, TCA 39-17-1311,
    and make up your own mind. Look on the State's website for an opinion of the Attorney General on the matter also. That would be a surefire answer if you can find it.

Good luck.
    No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    ---Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

I would contact the Attorney General. I once contact the Montana AG on some issues via email and they were very friendly and did some research and got back to me with an opinion. So shoot them an email or call, I sure they would be glad to be of help.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Well GA state parks are a no-no. Most of the National Forest land in GA is used for Wildlife Management Areas and are off limits except for hunting season.

http://www.georgiapacking.org

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

TN State Parks

Handgunlaw.us
    states that TN State Park Carry is legal if not posted. This is Fact. I have also been told by numerous persons that every State Park in TN is posted.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

South Carolina

http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t51c003.htm

(G) Possessing any firearm, airgun, explosive, or firework except by duly authorized park personnel, law enforcement officers, or persons using areas specifically designated by the department for use of firearms, airguns, fireworks, or explosives. Licensed hunters may have firearms in their possession during hunting seasons provided that such firearms are unloaded and carried in a case or the trunk of a vehicle except that in designated game management areas where hunting is permitted, licensed hunters may use firearms for hunting in the manner authorized by law. This subsection shall not apply to a person carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, and the concealable weapon and its ammunition. (Permits)

Remember that signs posted banning CPW are lawful in SC.

You're OK in FL...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

CCW in State Parks

Well GA state parks are a no-no.

Does this include carrying your weapon in your vehicle?

Links