Has anyone shipped a gun to himself?

This is a discussion on Has anyone shipped a gun to himself? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am making my annual trek to my parents in FL for the holidays, and this year I am going by Amtrak because of a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone shipped a gun to himself?

I am making my annual trek to my parents in FL for the holidays, and this year I am going by Amtrak because of a surgery I'm having that precludes me from driving or flying. I read that the Brady Law allows for this (shipping a handgun to yourself) but I would like some tips if any of you have done this before. Also, which common carrier have you had the best experience with. Thanks in advance

---Frz

I am not so sure about the whole shipping to yourself. FFL rules are pretty strict.

As far as carriers. NEVER use United States Postal Service for your firearms, it's federal violation. UPS will ONLY ship it as long as it is shipped overnight. I don't know about FedEx and DHL. I used UPS the last time I sent my SIG to SIGARMS. When they said overnight, they meant overnight.

I shipped two pistols via UPS 2nd day air two weeks ago, one to SigArms and the second to Springfield Armory.
    Saved myself approx. 50% in fees and I had it handled by my local UPS Store.
    I declared the items as "firearm parts" and had disassembled the guns as shipped within their respective cases.
    No fuss no muss and they both were shipped and receiver accepted without question.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I tried the shipping to myself thing this summer and it did not work. UPS will only ship to a FFL or back to the factory. I called one of my friends who owns a UPS store and he verified this for me.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the Congress is in session."
    Mark Twain
    S&W M&P 40

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by Frzdrdhppy View Post
    I am making my annual trek to my parents in FL for the holidays, and this year I am going by Amtrak because of a surgery I'm having that precludes me from driving or flying. I read that the Brady Law allows for this (shipping a handgun to yourself) but I would like some tips if any of you have done this before. Also, which common carrier have you had the best experience with. Thanks in advance

---Frz
    Is it illegal to transport on Amtrak? Or Greyhound?
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Quote Originally Posted by Frzdrdhppy View Post

---Frz
    I have a friend who's done it, but he's out of touch at the moment (overseas). Get a source on the law, and call the carriers. If you can show them the statute, a site manager should be able to work with you. I'm thinking FedEx does it, but I'm not sure.....

I BELIEVE that you can ship parts of a handgun to an individual by mail (use priority).
    Ship the frame and slide separately or ship the frame and take the slide with you.
    I am ready to be corrected on any of this.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    I BELIEVE that you can ship parts of a handgun to an individual by mail (use priority).
    Ship the frame and slide separately or ship the frame and take the slide with you.
    I am ready to be corrected on any of this.
    The numbered frame or receiver of a firearm is, normally, considered to be "the firearm" and may only be shipped to an FFL holder. There are exceptions, such as Ruger Mark .22's, where the barrel/receiver are the "firearm".

No private citizen may ship a handgun (frame, receiver or other) through the postal system, whether Priority or not.

You can ship the other parts to whomsoever you choose, by whatever means you choose.
    Packin' Heat Leather
    Galco & Bianchi Dealer
    McAllen, Texas USA

This comes directly from the Amtrak website

"Prohibited Items

The following kinds of items are prohibited as both checked and carry-on baggage:

Any type of gun, firearm, ammunition, explosives, or weapon.
    Incendiaries, including flammable gases, liquids and fuels.
    Large, sharp objects such as axes, ice picks and swords.
    Corrosive or dangerous chemicals or materials, such as liquid bleach, tear gas, mace, radioactive and harmful bacteriological materials.
    Batteries with acid that can spill or leak (except those batteries used in motorized wheelchairs or similar devices for mobility-impaired passengers).
    Club-like items, such as billy clubs and nightsticks.
    Fragile and/or valuable items, including but not limited to electronic equipment. (Laptop computers and handheld devices may be carried onboard; however, Amtrak accepts no liability for damage.)
    Animals (except service animals).
    Oversized and/or overweight items.
    Please note: This is not an exhaustive list. Any item similar to those listed, even if not specifically mentioned here, is prohibited from being carried onboard or checked as baggage."
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Ship the slide and carry the frame....it is not a weapon if it is not functional?

Firearms must be shipped to an FFL. The easiest way to do it, although it will cost, is have your local gun shop ship it to a shop close to where your headed. The average charge for dealers is $25. Good luck.

BGR
    Quote Originally Posted by tex45acp View Post
    This comes directly from the Amtrak website

"Prohibited Items

The following kinds of items are prohibited as both checked and carry-on baggage:

Any type of gun, firearm, ammunition, explosives, or weapon.
    Incendiaries, including flammable gases, liquids and fuels.
    Large, sharp objects such as axes, ice picks and swords.
    Corrosive or dangerous chemicals or materials, such as liquid bleach, tear gas, mace, radioactive and harmful bacteriological materials.
    Batteries with acid that can spill or leak (except those batteries used in motorized wheelchairs or similar devices for mobility-impaired passengers).
    Club-like items, such as billy clubs and nightsticks.
    Fragile and/or valuable items, including but not limited to electronic equipment. (Laptop computers and handheld devices may be carried onboard; however, Amtrak accepts no liability for damage.)
    Animals (except service animals).
    Oversized and/or overweight items.
    Please note: This is not an exhaustive list. Any item similar to those listed, even if not specifically mentioned here, is prohibited from being carried onboard or checked as baggage."
    Is this law or company policy. If it is just policy I would ignore it.
    Join the NRA no excuses!

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!

If your permits are good, I wouldn't worry about it. No one is going to search you on Amtrak. You can even be a good traveler and obey their rules by keeping it out of your checked baggage and carry-ons. That being said, if it was me I'd buy a gun at my destination - saves on shipping both ways...plus there's the new gun.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    If your permits are good, I wouldn't worry about it. No one is going to search you on Amtrak. You can even be a good traveler and obey their rules by keeping it out of your checked baggage and carry-ons. That being said, if it was me I'd buy a gun at my destination - saves on shipping both ways...plus there's the new gun.

Austin
    Thanks to all that replied, I like Austin's last suggestion best...you enabler! Besides, my Dad really likes the looks of the Beretta Px4, so if I can find one down there I'll just leave it with him and won't have to worry again about shipping.

In response to Austin's comment--It is against Federal law to buy a pistol in a state other than the one in which you are a resident. If you do, you have to have it shipped to an FFL in your home state before you take possession.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links