I violated company policy

This is a discussion on I violated company policy within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I read the first group of replies, includingn the smart carry idea, I kep thinking of my situation. At work, instead of an IWB ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I violated company policy

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    As I read the first group of replies, includingn the smart carry idea, I kep thinking of my situation. At work, instead of an IWB holster, I pocket carry my Glock 26.in a Nemesis pocket holster. I thought at first that it was too big, but then I'm a big guy, and it works for me. If you feel that you are in danger from other employees, then I would consider a smaller gun. As much as I hate Kel-tec, they have small guns that will work in a fairly low prie range. A Kahr would be better,m but it's more expensive. And, having managed a fast food restaraunt, I know fom experience that they don't pay particularly well. Which ever way you decide to handle it, I would consider a few options. If it were me, I would consider writing either to McDonalds corporate headquarters (addressed to the CEO), and describe the situation. You don't have to even mention the CCW, or sign your name. But I'm sue that a regional manager would be in there within a couple of days if they heard about the drug sales and use. Or, I would consider writing to the local sheriff or police cheif. That may force a change even faster. In that situation, I would sign my name, but ask them to keep your name out of it to protect your job. Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

2. Remove Ads

I have mixed feelings about this personally. To start off with, I know it's tough to be young, going to school and trying to make enough money to get by on until you can get employed in a potential career vs. simply a job. If you REALLY need this particular job and don't want to take a chance on loosing it (at least in the short term), follow company policy.

Not to sound like I'm giving you a hard time, but several times you mentioned that others are doing things they shouldn't and are getting away with it. I almost sounded like you were more upset over the other empolyees doing things they shouldn't - and either not getting caught or getting away with it - than the fact the manager told you not to carry at work anymore. It reminds me of my kids when they ask me why can't they (fill in the blank) because their friends can? What their friends parents allow their kids to do is their responsibility, not mine. My first responsibility is with my family, not my neighbors or my friends. I'm as responsible as they are for my childrens actions until they are adults, and I try to instill in them the values I feel are the right ones. One of those values is they should always try to do what's right, no matter what anyone else decides to do because they must live with the consequences of their action! Actually, it sounds like the store manager handled the whole thing pretty well. He simply reminded you of company policy, then let the whole incident drop. He could have fired you on the spot. Whether others are doing something wrong or not should be no concern of yours... only YOUR actions should matter to you unless the actions of other employees pose a danger to you in some way.

OTOH, if it were me in your shoes and I decided I needed the job, but I also needed the protection of a handgun, I'd carry that gun in a way that would ensure it would not be detected, like using the smart carry system or something similar. It may not be the most comfortable way to carry a gun or easiest to draw from, but it does allow you to carry a weapon with ALMOST total certainty of it not being detected.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

The kid is from Alaska... How bad of an area is Alaska? (I know it's not the point... but still)
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Spyder: look on the bright side. I bet that only in a McDonald's in Alaska would you not have been fired and allowed to put your weapon in your truck. If you can devise a deep concealment method and not in any circumstance talk about it, you should be able to get along and keep your job. I don't know Alaska law, but I'd be surprised if you are legally obliged to tell whether you are armed to anyone but an LEO. And I certainly wouldn't try to appeal to some corporate arbiter. Good luck!

How bad is Alaska??? True story here. About 20 years ago we had a local murder of a guy that carried a large roll of cash at all times, since he was a scrap metals man, we call them ''junkers'. The murder went unsolved and that was very unsetteling to many local folks. His empty wallet was found laying on a downtown sidewalk in one of the nearby towns.

About four years ago our local sheriff got a call from LE in Soldotna, Alaska that our murderer was snitched out by a fellow inmate up there. This criminal was in the slam in Alaska for a murder up there.

Long story short, our sheriff flew to Alaska to make double sure that a hold for trial down here was properly filed, just in case the inmate was ever to be released up there. The BG would then stand trial for the murder here if he somehow won an early release, God forbid!

My point is that you just never know what bad guys may be where, even Alaska of all places. Protect yourself at all times.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I decided I'm going to just let my co-workers and managers do what they want, because I seriously don't want to go through the hassle of getting a hold of corporate, and telling them about drug deals and smoking marijuana on the clock. I'll obey the policy, and leave my gun in my vehicle. I pray to God that an angry customer or a guy looking to make a few bucks doesn't barge in and start shooting up the place. Anchorage really isn't that bad, but we still have our share of crime.

I do have a small metal lock box I lock up my gun in when I get to work. I can at least keep the magazine, rounds, and barrel in my pocket, rendering my gun useless if an unauthorized person gets a hold of my gun.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    It seems that your manager was at least cool about it, but you need to quit that job ASAP.

They countenance people doing/dealing drugs on the premises, which means you are working alongside the dregs of humanity. It's possible that one of them could have some drug-enemy come in looking to settle some drug-related score some day...

Now, let's also recognize the fact that if anyone else at your workplace comes to find out what happened, you might find your car busted open one night and your gun gone! That'd be bad, but the possibility has never been greater.

I don't want to give you a hard time, but how did you end up allowing someone to figure out you were armed? Did you fail to adequately conceal? Did you open your mouth to someone? Were you obvious about having a gun in some other way?

See, I'm of the opinion that no one should be able to know you have a gun on you unless you inform them. So the fact that they came to know or strongly suspect tells me something was done wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    Apparently another shift manager bumped into me, and hit my holster, which was tucked underneath my uniform, and he told the manager that talked to me. Smart Carry does sound like a good option right now.
    Okay, I should've read further before replying.

At this point, keep the job, get the smart carry, keep the gun on you, assure them (ONLY if they ask) that you've left the gun behind, and the joke's on them!

But you'd better make sure you're discreet this second time around!

I sometimes bring gun magazines to work to read during the slower times, and most of the people I work with have been around guns, and they don't mind me being into them. That was probably my biggest mistake was sharing my passion for guns with my co-workers. The only real thing I did wrong was violate corporate policy by actually CARRYING on the job. They don't care that I'm into guns, they just don't want me carrying while on the clock. Besides if a guy comes in waving a gun around, there's not a whole lot I could do, even if I was carrying, a drawn gun beats a holstered (and tucked) gun. So for now I will have to obey policy, and leave my gun in my vehicle, until I can find other employment.

However, I do plan to eventually invest in a Smartcarry or something similar, and maybe get a small J Frame .38 revolver.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

You keep saying that the thing you did wrong was disobey corporate policy. The same corporation that doesn't care if you live or die, or make a living wage, for that matter.

You need to make this decision based on what is best for YOU. Does the corporation make decisions based on your best interest? No. It makes them based on ITS best interest. Fair's fair.

I don't know why you don't scrape the money for a SmartCarry together immediately and start carrying where no one can possibly see it (or bump into it), as opposed to meekly break your gun down and carry only pieces of it with you. You could seriously come to regret doing that, and I would not want to know that you died kicking yourself for having gone along with a stupid, absurd policy.

Besides, there are plenty of people who have triumphed over a BG who already had his gun drawn. No one says it has to come down to a question of whether you can draw, aim and fire faster than he can just aim and fire. It could be that you get an opportunity to draw while he's distracted or herding someone else around the store. Lots of opportunities to save your own life with your gun could arise. You never know. But one thing you do know is you have to have a gun.

I have gave that some thought, and like I said, I will get a Smart Carry, I just can't do that right away. I really believe my life isn't worth risking for a low paying job that deals with the public. I have also gave some thought to terminating my employment with Mcdonalds after the holidays, and starting 2008 at a new job.

eww
    Besides if a guy comes in waving a gun around, there's not a whole lot I could do, even if I was carrying, a drawn gun beats a holstered (and tucked) gun.

This is true and I've considered this when I have to use my Smartcarry. Hopefully I will be able to put enough space between the B.G. and I to give me enough time to draw. Where I work I am not at the front door all the time, so I try to stay alert to any commotion in the store.

HKR
    Ignoring issues like drugs in the workplace, being afraid of retaliation for doing the right thing, and and the attitude that because I turned on the tv the other day and someone got screwed , I should just stay under the radar and take it up the rear has gotten this country to the fine place it is today. To the point that the only people who worry about doing right are people like I see everyday on this forum. Do what ever you have to do to survive, just make sure you can live with the man you see in the mirror every morning. Good luck friend.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    With all the talk about Smart Carry, I was thinking about getting one; until someone mentioned that going to the john to whiz could be a problem. At my age the old prostate sometimes doesn't give me a lot of time!

Me too Pup, damn worn out parts! But that's why I use a stall when using the SmartCarry. Unbuckle the britches and give the SmartCarry a twist to the side.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links