I violated company policy

This is a discussion on I violated company policy within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I arrived to work today, one of the many shift managers came up to me and told me he wanted to talk to me. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I violated company policy

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

When I arrived to work today, one of the many shift managers came up to me and told me he wanted to talk to me. I knew it wasn't about my work performance, because I had done nothing wrong, so that leaves one other thing, they've discovered I carry on the job. First he asked me if I had my gun on me, and I hesitated for a moment and confirmed that I did. I thought I was going to get fired right then and there, but all he said was "It's against company policy, so I need you to go put it in your vehicle." I explained to him the reasons I carry, and he understood, but policy is policy. Well let me tell you that I've seen my co-workers deal and smoke weed on the job, including some of the managers. Now me carrying my gun does not alter my work performance, unlike marijuana. So I obeyed orders like I always do, and I put my gun in my truck. I'm starting to think that this job isn't worth my life, because I have to deal with the public, and put up with workers and managers violating company policy, and yet I obey it. I want to quit this job, but I'm in college and need $. So I'm not sure what to do. Maybe some of you can help me out here. Should I keep working there simply because I need money, and obey company policy while the workers and managers around me violate it by smoking pot?

Edit: I work at McDonalds (Worst corporate job IMO)
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

How did they even find out in the first place? Were you printing? If you don't want to quit your job I suggest you get a smart carry holster and carry with that. It works best for deep concealment. I carry my full size sig p226 no problem.

Apparently another shift manager bumped into me, and hit my holster, which was tucked underneath my uniform, and he told the manager that talked to me. Smart Carry does sound like a good option right now.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

1) How did they find out? There should be a lesson in there somewhere.

2) Personally, I'd start to look for another job, and reflect often about what you learned regarding #1.

-john

If he asked if you had your gun on you, he knew you had a gun, and perhaps might carry it?

I think somehow, you've shared a lot too much information with your co-workers.

-john

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Some people will tell you to quit your job and find something else. In all honesty it comes down to money... sadly. Working in college, it is going to be difficult to find something where you can carry in the workplace. However, all it takes is that one time where the stinky stuff hits the propellor.

I worked at a chain coffee shop for four years, 2.5 as a shift. I saw a lot of bad stuff with customers getting verbally violent and threatening. A few times the police had to be called. Every single day I was employed I carried a large knife with me. We always had local LEO's in there and they were really cool guys. One day, one of them saw my knife while I was using it to open a big five pound bag of coffee. He commented that it violated town ordnances for length. I told him a few reasons why I kept it and he let it go. Never heard anything else. My managers never took issue with it, either. Partly because a knife was a neccesity on the job there. Then one night I had a customer begin photographing a 16 year old female employee with his phone... She was so upset, she hid in the back and I had to find her to figure out what was wrong. The cops were called and he was ordered to never return. He maybe some specific threats against myself, the chain, and the girl. Every night after that, I brought my carry to work in a backpack for the next year. I believe if the cops hadn't been there and I had confronted him, it would have gotten physical very fast.

Now, obviously you should not carry if it is illegal. Maybe someone else can comment about the legalities(!) of carrying once you are asked to stop at work. I'm not in any position to speak on it, myself. In your position, I would remember one key thing: The MIND is the weapon. A firearm is just a tool. That steaming pot of coffee next to you? The super-hot vat of grease with fries boiling in it? Look around you. Anything can be used to defend yourself.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    When I arrived to work today, one of the many shift managers came up to me and told me he wanted to talk to me. I knew it wasn't about my work performance, because I had done nothing wrong, so that leaves one other thing, they've discovered I carry on the job. First he asked me if I had my gun on me, and I hesitated for a moment and confirmed that I did. I thought I was going to get fired right then and there, but all he said was "It's against company policy, so I need you to go put it in your vehicle." I explained to him the reasons I carry, and he understood, but policy is policy. Well let me tell you that I've seen my co-workers deal and smoke weed on the job, including some of the managers. Now me carrying my gun does not alter my work performance, unlike marijuana. So I obeyed orders like I always do, and I put my gun in my truck. I'm starting to think that this job isn't worth my life, because I have to deal with the public, and put up with workers and managers violating company policy, and yet I obey it. I want to quit this job, but I'm in college and need $. So I'm not sure what to do. Maybe some of you can help me out here. Should I keep working there simply because I need money, and obey company policy while the workers and managers around me violate it by smoking pot?

While you can't say that you really obeyed company policy. You got cuaght and then complied with company policy. So really that makes you know different then your co-workers. Sombody snitch you out though and maybe you should talk to the manager about your co-worker violation so it would be a safer place for everybody. Our, like you said find another job. The bad part is the they way the job market is these days you might need to stick this one out for a little bit longer.

Wish you the best,

Brian

Yeah I would rather carry in my IWB but I have to carry in a smartcarry because of school. I don't want to get expelled because someone accidentally bumps into me like your situation. I'm paying so much money but at the same time I don't want to end up dead in another Virginia Tech style shooting so I had to make a compromise. Luckily, I've found the smartcarry to be much more than a compromise. Not only is it very comfy, but I dont have to worry about printing anymore. The only downside I can think of is that it's about 2-3 seconds slower on the draw that IWB.

For now, I will have to leave my carry gun in my vehicle, until I can either find a better carry holster like Smart Carry, or stick it out for the remainder of this year (need $ for the upcoming holiday season), and then quit. Dealing with the public isn't always fun.

We are allowed to carry folding blades to open boxes. A knife in the pocket beats a gun in the car!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    Should I keep working there simply because I need money, and obey company policy while the workers and managers around me violate it by smoking pot?

I believe that is the part that bothers you the most...you mention it a couple of times...as in one justifies the other. If you feel it is such a poor work environment...I'd look for another job.

Rick

spyderdude: First I would like to commend you on how you handled the situation and that attitude will go along way when you finish college. One of the reasons that a company like McDonalds has such a policy it the type of employees they hire. You comments about the others and weed points that out but makes your predicament even worse. You are going to have to make your own decision but although the possibility that you may need you weapon is real it it fairly remote so take solace in that. As someone else pointed out that if needed there are other options including hot coffee if needed and should you need a gun would you actually be able to use it.

Remember a gun will not protect you but is just another tool in your arsenal, get your degree and get out of there. Good luck.

IMO, you're branded. The bosses will be watching you like a hawk and they, along with whomever turned you in, have probably spread the word.

Regardless of what carry options are open to you, they'll be watching.

Stick it out as long as you can which will give you time to find a better job.

Remember though, ccw is banned in most work places by company policy. It's the risk we take for our own personal security.

BTW, my days with McDonald's are over with after the way they treated the young employee with the strip search issue.

Good luck!

Smartcarry is a very good solution. Also a smaller gun in a pocket holster works well also.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Sponsor
    1.) Get the best SD knife that you can afford.
    2.) Start looking for another job.
    3.) Be the straightest, policy following employee that Mickey D's has ever had.
    4.) Confront your manager about the disparity in enforcing company policy.
    5.) Sue the pants off of them for discrimination.

You did nothing illegal. you violated a POLICY. Your co-workers, however are committing misdemeanors and, possibly, felonies while on the payroll of the corporation. If this is occurring with knowledge of any member of management, it can be argued that it is happening with corporate approval.

I know it is easier said than done.

On the subject of the knife, there are many posts here and elsewhere discussing the +/- of the options available. The "Make Work" from Kershaw is an excellent value. Under $50, assisted opening, nice ergonomics and the blade length and style screams "utility knife" while being perfect for SD. (no, I don't work for Kershaw)

Good luck with what ever you do.

BTW you handled things in the best manor possible.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

JEC
    Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    IMO, you're branded. The bosses will be watching you like a hawk and they, along with whomever turned you in, have probably spread the word.

Regardless of what carry options are open to you, they'll be watching.
    I agree with this statement. You have been ID'd as someone to watch.

Stick it out as long as you can which will give you time to find a better job.

Remember though, ccw is banned in most work places by company policy. It's the risk we take for our own personal security.
    The ideas of a better way to CC while on the job may only put you in the unemployment line. If the situation comes up again the manager may make the decision for you, to find another job.

BTW, my days with McDonald's are over with after the way they treated the young employee with the strip search issue.

Good luck!
    Try to make the best of this bad situation. Good Luck

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links