If you were asked. . . . . - Page 3

If you were asked. . . . .

This is a discussion on If you were asked. . . . . within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I answered that I would lie and say no. It's possible I would also do the "none of your business" thing, but here's the reason ...

View Poll Results: If you were asked if you were carrying in an unofficially posted area . . .

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • Truthfully, yes I am/ No I am not

30 11.28%
  • Falsely, no I am not

30 11.28%
  • Non-committally, that is none of your business

206 77.44%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I answered that I would lie and say no.

It's possible I would also do the "none of your business" thing, but here's the reason I would probably say no.

I understand that when someone says "none of your business" in answer to that question, 99 out of 100 times, the asker is going to assume that's a "yes." And usually I am not going to want someone either knowing or suspecting that the answer is yes. If they suspect the answer's yes, even in the absence of an actual answer, they may take a course of action from that point on, that I consider undesirable.

I'd rather leave the fool with the mistaken impression that I'm not armed. That gives me the satisfaction of disrespecting someone who has been disrespectful to me, and also throws them off my trail, so to speak, about whether I have a gun on me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    If you were asked if you were carrying in a facility or circumstance where it was legal to carry but that had unofficial postings against it, how would you answer?

I am about to go to my doctors office. In Texas it is not illegal to enter buildings that are not officially posted in accordance with the CHL statutes. That includes any form of unofficial markings. My doctors office is an example of this. I was considering how I would answer if one of the staff thought they saw something and decided to ask me if I was carrying a handgun. Personally I don't think it is any of their business. I don't think of staff as representing the building's owner. Certainly if I gave them an answer that was non-committal they could ask me to leave, and of course I would.
    I just got the .pdf file to load. It is on page 28 "notice required on certain premises". So you're good to go, if you don't see the signs on the entrances, then you weren't given effective notice. Tx Concealed Handgun Law 2007-2008
    Last edited by skippythenurse; October 11th, 2007 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Found new info.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
    I have to agree with the Marine. If they're asking, it's because you've been made. Be a smartass - you'll get arrested and lose your permit - and the world will be a better place for it. We need responsible, mature people carrying guns, and you're not one of them. If the property owner or leasee doesn't want guns on the property that's THEIR business, and if you don't like it take your business elsewhere. How would you like it if it was YOUR business and a customer gave YOU lip when you objected to their haircut, dress, hygiene, whatever?
    I can see their haircut, dress, hygiene and it can directly affect my customers' desire to remain in my store. Nobody can see my weapon though.

Now if you are made you are not concealing, that is something different. If you have been made they don't need to ask you if you are carrying. If they ask it is because they do not know, at least not for certain.

I don't ask the guy at the customer service counter if he is wearing ladies underwear and he should not be asking if I have a gun (if he can't see it). As long as it is legal I have no problem lying to any person sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. People may think they are being "smart" by giving a non-commital answer, they are not. A non-commital answer is an answer, that answer is "yes, but I don't want to say that" and any person who doesn't see through that is one of the dullest crayons in the box.

As long as it is legal I will smile at them, make full eye contact and lie. This does not apply with LEOs performing their sworn duties.

If the sign carries no weight of law if it isn't done correctly, and the business I am in is not posted correctly, then I might answer truthfully.

Why not? The most they can do is ask you to leave.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    I was thinking about this question again and you know, we do live in a polite society where we learn to answer questions asked of us but... just because someone ask you a question (non LEO etc.) doesn't mean you have to answer it at all! You could simply ignore it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Not a problem for me I respect the owners intentions regardless if the sign meets the letter of the law.

rodc13 curtly said:

No. It's not.
    in reference to:

Originally Posted by Piglet

Just remember, anything but a "no" is a "yes".

I was surprised to see all the people who said they would say "It's none of your business", or who advised answering "noncommittally".

Doing that is the same as admitting you are carrying.
    I was referring to the way in which such "noncommittal" responses would surely be viewed by the nosy person. I did not intend a literal interpretation of the words used when I said "Doing that is the same as admitting you are carrying."

I think this was obvious from the context of my post and that of the entire thread.

The same principle applies to the statement about carrying multiple weapons: "One is none, and two is one". Technically absurd, but it makes an important point notwithstanding.

peacefuljeffrey:

I understand that when someone says "none of your business" in answer to that question, 99 out of 100 times, the asker is going to assume that's a "yes." And usually I am not going to want someone either knowing or suspecting that the answer is yes. If they suspect the answer's yes, even in the absence of an actual answer, they may take a course of action from that point on, that I consider undesirable.
    Musketeer:

People may think they are being "smart" by giving a non-commital answer, they are not. A non-commital answer is an answer, that answer is "yes, but I don't want to say that" and any person who doesn't see through that is one of the dullest crayons in the box.
    These gentlemen see the light.

M2
    Lots of opinions on here, and a lot from people who aren't in Texas and don't know the laws here. Skippy the Nurse was nice enough to post the link to the new handgun laws handbook (thanks by the way, I still had the 2005-2006 copy). Anyone with a CHL in Texas should have a copy and know it, especially section 30.06, which deals with Tresspass by Holder of License to Carry Concealed Handgun. That section explicitly outlines the requirement for the sign that prohibits concealed carry on a premises. No other form of that sign is considered legally binding by the state of Texas. It is one of the better handgun statues I have seen by any state.

As for the scenario, there is a difference between being asked if you have a gun and being asked to leave. You are not required to answer the first question unless it is being posted to you by certain law enforcement individuals that are identified in the handgun law handbook. You are not required to answer that question if it is anyone else. So, you can basically tell them anything you like. Personally, I would not answer the question, and ask why they are asking.

If the individual then tells you they believe you are carrying, and asks you to leave, then you must leave otherwise you are tresspassing. This isn't only for someone carrying, anyone who is asked to leave a premises must do so or by law they are tresspassing. If the person says something along the lines of "I think you have a gun and I want you to leave," you must do so. Even if you don't have a gun, unless you are willing to prove that to the individual to their satisfaction, you must leave. Any other actions could be considered disorderly conduct.

Cheers! M2

PM
    In Kansas; as long as they do not have a gun-buster (legal siganage; which you stated they did not have) it is none of their business. The only exception to this is if the person is an LEO and asked the question. If I am carrying I would say yes, sir I am!

I concur with "Why would you ask something like that?".

I'd like to add: "There's nothing to be concerned about."
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

If it was a friend I would probably tell them the truth, but only because I know them and they know me. I always consider my friends armed, so I wouldn't have any reason to ask them.

If it was a stranger I'd ask "Who are you?" first of all, then either "Yes sir officer", or just walk away if I could. If I was stuck in a line and couldn't walk away, I'd probably tell them it's none of their business.

JEC
    .... In Texas it is not illegal to enter buildings that are not officially posted in accordance with the CHL statutes. That includes any form of unofficial markings. My doctors office is an example of this....
    The answer is in the question. Not officially posted, and, you are otherwise carrying legally then there should be no problem.

When asked by someone once in the doctors office (not someone in the waiting room) the answer might be simply "Is that a problem?" then wait for their follow-up. This will be where you get the 'official policy' speech. Then it's either ok, or, you'll be asked to put it out in the car.

In the waiting room I would simply turn my attention back to that 5 year old copy of Field and Stream without a reply.

Jack

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
    I have to agree with the Marine. If they're asking, it's because you've been made. Be a smartass - you'll get arrested and lose your permit - and the world will be a better place for it. We need responsible, mature people carrying guns, and you're not one of them.
    Strong words.

But I disagree with you.

If you're carrying in a place where it's actually legally prohibited, and they "made" you, you're in trouble and being a smartass is not going to be what makes the difference.

And if it's not a carry-prohibited location, being a smartass might, at worst, get them to call the police to ask you to leave.

Plus, being willing to give a smartass retort to a rude and intrusive question does not mean a gun owner is immature. Fed up, maybe, but not immature.

I am about to go to my doctors office. In Texas it is not illegal to enter buildings.
    How about another doctor obviously the one you have is an idiot IMO. There are alot of good doctors that
    A respect you rights and
    B are informed enough about the facts that know your presence there armed makes his office safer
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    I was referring to the way in which such "noncommittal" responses would surely be viewed by the nosy person. . . . . Technically absurd, but it makes an important point notwithstanding.
    And still not at all the same thing. Unless you make it so.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links