If you were asked. . . . .

This is a discussion on If you were asked. . . . . within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you were asked if you were carrying in a facility or circumstance where it was legal to carry but that had unofficial postings against ...

View Poll Results: If you were asked if you were carrying in an unofficially posted area . . .

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • Truthfully, yes I am/ No I am not

30 11.28%
  • Falsely, no I am not

30 11.28%
  • Non-committally, that is none of your business

206 77.44%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you were asked. . . . .

If you were asked if you were carrying in a facility or circumstance where it was legal to carry but that had unofficial postings against it, how would you answer?

I am about to go to my doctors office. In Texas it is not illegal to enter buildings that are not officially posted in accordance with the CHL statutes. That includes any form of unofficial markings. My doctors office is an example of this. I was considering how I would answer if one of the staff thought they saw something and decided to ask me if I was carrying a handgun. Personally I don't think it is any of their business. I don't think of staff as representing the building's owner. Certainly if I gave them an answer that was non-committal they could ask me to leave, and of course I would.
    Last edited by bigiceman; October 10th, 2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Amplification
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Asked by whom?

That makes a big difference.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I reckon I'd say "Now why would you ask that?"

I might then launch into the old one that goes like this: "My old grand dad lived to be 103..."
    <"I suppose you're going to tell me that's because he carried a gun?">
    "Nope! He knew how to mind his own business..."

<g>
    HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    #4. Not answer..........I invoke my right to remain silent.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Tell them don't worry about it.

VIP Member
    I have anticipated that question and would likely reply first with "who are you?" Then as politely as I could I'd say "well sir/ma'am, that really isn't any of your business!"

I have thought of a bunch of smart remarks too but I would really try to refrain!

You could always answer like a politician... "I can neither confirm nor deny the existence or non-existence of a dangerous weapon on or about my person!"
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

"That's no one's buisness but mine."
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

I'd say "A gentleman neither asks nor answers impolite questions".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    I'd say "A gentleman neither asks nor answers impolite questions".
    Now that's good!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

The reason I ask by whom is that in Texas your guilty of criminal tresspass if you stay on the property if asked to leave while carrying concealed. So, if a business owner asks you if your carrying concealed, I would think that you would either be required to answer and then take instruction from the owner or person with "apparent authority" that it is ok for you to stay, or leave if your not willing to answer the question. If it is the stockboy asking, well that is a totally different deal.

If your carrying concealed the only way for them to know would be to actually ask you and for you to answer, unless you exposed your weapon in some manner.

Maybe there are some better legal minds here than me, but that is my take, for what Texas law says.

PC 30.06

(b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the
    owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I don't buy the logic that lying to a private citizen in TX = tresspass. If they want to ban CCW then properly post it, they do not even need to ask you. They could even ask you, you could say no, and they could say "good, cause we ban it" and all you would have to do is go put it in the car.

If they do not ban it I see no reason to volunteer anything in a place like TX.

In other places where the sign has no weight of law I see no reason to answer John Q. Public with anything but what he wants to hear, which may be a lie.

If they are going to lie to me that their place is gun free because of a policy I see no reason not lie to them that I don't have one.

I am working under the assumption we are NOT dealing with a LEO.

VIP Member
    its not "lying to a private citizen" that makes it tresspassing, its if they give you the required notice oral or written and you enter or stay on the premesis that makes it tresspassing
    (this is of course for Texas)
    written communication can be the approved signs or a card/paper they hand you in person with the same text as the signs

oral communication is not defined for this law so if the "property owner or someone apparently acting for the property owner" gives you oral notice then you have to stay out or leave if you're already inside

its a far stretch but a stock boy could be acting on the owner's behalf, you never know these days

I for one would not answer the question but would rather ask them why are they asking me such a question and see what they say. If I'm told they don't allow it then I leave, simple as that.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

How about "Well, if you don't know then neither do the bad guys"?

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    You could always answer like a politician... "I can neither confirm nor deny the existence or non-existence of a dangerous weapon on or about my person!"
    I really like this one. I will have to keep this one readily available.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Of all the weapons at Man's disposal, The Brain is the most deadly of all.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links