Defensive Carry banner

Disarming at the Machine Gun Shoot

3K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Duisburg 
#1 ·
I will be attending the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot (KY) this weekend and I know from prior experience that all firearms are to be unloaded and a zip tied.

I understand that KCR wants to make sure that everyone is safe and all goes well. No one wants a AD in the middle of a gun shoot or anywhere else, but I am really not a fan of disarming... especially for a machine gun shoot. Along with the shoot there will be many vendors selling anything from custom 1911's to edible camo lingere. This crowd is very diverse to say the least. The event draws all kinds.

This their policy at KCR so I will comply, but I am not happy about it.

Thoughts?

#24 ·
I don't think there's a much safer place than a machine gun shoot.. on the offchance that a bad guy started shooting folks, I don't think they'd last long. That said...I wouldn't want to disarm either, really. Seems a bit odd.
Bwaa HAHAHAHA I can just see it now, what a place for a bunch of Muslim terrorist to strike, just start the line about 100 yards out front.

#7 ·
I attended a bike rally at 4 corners, The were frisking everyone that enter the rally. No weapons allowed including knives. :gah: I had to walk over a 1/4 mile to where I parked my bike to put my pocket knife inthe saddlebags

Once inside the rally. There must have at least14 vendors selling knives including swords, war axes, maces (spiked ball & chain mounted on a handle) & tomahawks. They were all just lying on the table. You could pick them up handle them Etc. :hand5:

The security personnel and I had a friendly discussion when I exited the rally and they also thought it was silly to ban knives with the weapons that were on the vendors table for sale. :hand36:

#8 ·
Last time I was there they asked me if I needed anything zip-tied (a reference to my carrying a firearm).

I took this as a reference to my AK-47 (which already had it's action locked open). - I took it along to make sure any parts (mags, etc) fit properly if I bought any. I have no problem with that. I told them that I didn't need any zip ties and showed them that my AK was safe.

However, my concealed Beretta in the role of my personal protection was NOT disabled and since it was being legally used for protection did NOT need a zip-tie. Out of respect for Knob Creek I would NOT have removed my Beretta from it's holster or concealment except for personal defense.

I am not crazy about everyone swinging loaded guns around (since some are not so responsible) but anyone carrying responsibly (and concealed) doesn't concern me.

It is not against the law. I suppose they could throw you out if discovered though.

#9 ·
I agree private property trumps. I have been there also, very cool...I recommend it highly at least once, for any gun enthusiast. If I remember correctly they politely ask if you have any load firearms. They do not search. I usually go in with a backpack and several layers based on weather. I definitely could have carried but did not. I guess they figure it is an honor among thieves kind of thing. You have to admit. The staff and all involved are VERY safety conscious, and their is very visible (blaze orange shirt) armed security everywhere. Not to mention the numebr of undercover Feds I am sure are there monitoring things. I would have to say I did not feel that unsafe while there but some are not so willing to concede.

#10 ·
I don't remember having to disarm the last time I was there, although granted it's been several years:scruntiny:. Oh well, It just gives me a good reason not to be bummed that I'm not going to make it again this year. You don't want me carrying? Fine...I don't patron your event or business or whatever and I'll also do whatever I can to encourage others to do the same.:rant:

#12 ·
The only people permitted to carry are security for the range and police with a badge visible. The reasoning behind that is while you might not be the type that would remove a gun for anything other than to protect yourself that does not mean that people wont pull it out to try out a new holster, show someone, try to trade it in etc. People try to sneak them in and when caught are told to zip tie it or leave the property. I would personally find at least 2-3 an hr that snuck one in at a minimum. There is a reason they don't want guns there loaded which is safety plain and simple. A gun show is a place where guns are handled, shown all the time and they want to make for sure that its only unloaded ones there as one accidental discarge in say the tent and someone is definately hit.

#13 ·
I would do as I do at every gun show I go to; that is, I would say "screw you" to such a policy, and carry concealed concealed.

I know my gun is going to remain holstered and safe, so I don't have any reason to worry about what I myself might do! But I'll be better protected.

Just imagine some sort of whacko stuff went down and you're pinned down behind a vendor display table trying to get a zip-tie off your gun, and you see the nutcase round the corner...

I understand that they want to make sure no one gets too into the gun mood, starts showing off his fancy-dancy CCW piece, and ends up shooting someone. But the end result is what it should be in the first place: people who don't want to disarm, they keep their guns on them, loaded, and say nothing about them and don't show them -- as it should be!

Beans: Your post illustrates very well how STUPID "the rules" are. I don't allow STUPIDITY to govern how I have to live and act. If I have to settle for passively or covertly disobeying their rules, because I don't have the power to get them changed, then I settle for that. At least I don't end up being unarmed and vulnerable.

#18 · (Edited)
You could demonstrate your outrage by not attending...

I've never had a problem disarming at the Shoot. The sentiment that there are loads of idiots walking around becomes a non-issue if the idiots are disarmed as well. I'm fairly confident in my ablility to defend myself against the biggest nutjob, so as long as he comes at me without a gun, I'm going to win anyway. But I'm a pretty big guy with lots of training, and I understand that not everybody has those two things going for them in a confrontation. For instance, my Mom NEVER disarmed at the Shoot, and probably would have shot anyone trying to take her li'l Derringer (kidding...miss ya', Ma'). :wave:

For me, it comes down to respecting the wishes of the presenters of the Shoot. Period. If I want to go, I'll play by their rules because it is their place, not mine. I'd hate to see this event get shut down for ANY reason, especially if the organizers thought it wasn't worth the risk and hassle of putting it on. If they decided that the public wasn't respecting their rules, maybe they'd elect to scrap it entirely.

My $.02, but if you're outraged to the point of breaking the rules just to make your point, you may want to consider simply staying home.

#14 · (Edited)
At gun shows etc is where you really get the "idiots" that have no idea of how to safely handle guns so so you really want every joker with a guns waving it around showing his new toy off? I agree that banning loaded guns at a machine gun shoot is really ironic but think of who you are going to have there. Sadly the average attendee very probably has no idea of the four rules of gun safety.

#15 ·
Who ever said that we want any idiot "waving his gun around"? I didn't say I would tolerate that. I'm talking about tolerating anyone who is licensed to carry a gun carrying his gun! If it's a loaded concealed-carry piece, it stays in the holster.

Why does everyone think that a sign at a gun show that says, "ALL CONCEALED CARRY FIREARMS MUST REMAIN HOLSTERED AT ALL TIMES," would not be obeyed, but a sign saying, "No loaded concealed guns allowed, period," will be?

Why should your no-guns sign work, but my keep-it-concealed sign wouldn't? That's illogical.

#16 ·
Neither sign is going to work and who decides who is an idiot? Don't try to tell me that just because they have a license to carry doesn't mean they aren't an idiot. Lots of idiots with all kinds of permits.:blink:

There is always some such as yourself that will not obey any sign and if metal detectors are used they will find a way around those . Just ask the airlines.:duh:

Besides if you promise to keep your gun holstered at all times what good is it going to do you if something breaks out and you have to keep it holstered. :aargh4:

I didn't say anything about either sign just the reasoning behind the thought of trying to ban loaded guns at a gun show or similar.

#17 ·
I understand and even agree with how it makes you (the OP) feel but, to me it's really no big deal. If I wanted to go, I'd simply disarm and respect their wishes. :yup: It would offend my pride more than it would put me in any greater danger.

#23 ·
If you don't like the rules don't go. If you choose to carry it anyway and get caught your choices are zip tie it, leave, or get charged with tresspassing. You might leave it in your holseter and never do a thing or you might be the one that pulls it out to try a holster fit, magazine etc and cause a problem. That is why the No loaded guns policy. It eliminates the who is an idiot and who isnt. It is a liabiltity to have loadedguns in a situation where guns are handled constantly. The firing lines are safe as they have security all over that line making sure the range is only hot when it should be.

#25 ·
Carry gun never comes out unless you need to use it. Nobody should ever know it's there or your doing something wrong. There is no fondling of the gun period ever. If you carry or not that's your decision to make. Is your life worth defending when and where, according to who? If your not ok packing anyway and don't want to disarm don't go simple as that. There's lots of places I won't go anymore because your not supposed to carry there. I'll take my money, time somewhere else. Just my opinion

#26 ·
well if you don't want to disarm then do not go, I have to disarm for work and to get into certain gun shows but there are cops standing in every door though. I feel that KCR wants to preserve its place for the benifit of machine gun owners and to show that it is safe, guns are safe and machine guns are too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.