Hit this poll! Should teachers be allowed to carry guns

This is a discussion on Hit this poll! Should teachers be allowed to carry guns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was a teacher for twenty years at various inner city schools because I chose to be there. Consider it my combat duty. I left ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hit this poll! Should teachers be allowed to carry guns

I was a teacher for twenty years at various inner city schools because I chose to be there. Consider it my combat duty. I left the profession two years ago because the sheep not only have the wool pulled over their eyes, their eyes have been placed deeply within a certain southernly body cavity for which there is no light and there seems to be no return to the land of light. Granted, there are some very bright, dedicated, and caring individuals plying their craft within the walls of many institutions of public learning. But in my twenty years, I met and had to endure more unqualified, inept, incompetent, and just downright uncaring and ineffectual people in charge of your child's education that if you truly knew, you would be mortified and probably be behind bars or in the process of being canonized. When I would mention to my colleagues the need for sidearms being issued to teachers with as much force on force training as any other professional in the same situation, many supported this position. But the majority of the sheep were behaving as if I wanted to inject them with the plague. Even with the Columbines and the "almost Columbines" occurring over and over, the idea of school personnel actually doing something effectual to protect the children and staff seemed unfathomable to these people. So, my vote would be a definite yes, but I would want my local and state police to screen candidates, train them, certify them and continue to train them on a regular basis, not just some lame summer recertification refresher. Also, the thought of some teacher having the weapons taken and used on those they were intended to protect is a mighty real concern. But then again, training, training, training, and more training is the answer as well as the prospect of students not necessarily knowing which teachers or staff members were concealing firearms. Why would students need to be privy to the exact name and number of teachers and staff packing heat as long as they knew they were the reason for this? Many choose to be sheep. Some choose to be wolves. I choose to be a sheepdog-in-training.

"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men." Edmund Burke

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

United States Marine Corps - "No better friend. No worse enemy."

Semper Fidelis! D & Q!

XD 45 Service model
    SiG P226 and P229
    Last edited by Ryno23; October 12th, 2007 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Grammar

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    the poll is closed and finished 59% yes and 40 No
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

I've stated this before...
    We should not be discussing "Arming the Teachers!"...bad idea! It only leads to misconceptions on the part of TEACHERS, parents, students, and the media has a field day with the topic.

We only need to allow INDIVIDUALS with CCW permits, trained with background checks, to be given the right to carry on school grounds, just like in Utah. This removes the focus from 'teachers' being given a Glock with paper and pencils concept, to a more revelant discussion on responsible self-defense.

I work in a school, I'd carry in a heartbeat, and no one has to know!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I missed the poll, I think. There have been so many in recent days...

I like the thinking of retsupt99 and here's why (and I think you should follow along with teachers, administrators and others of your own experiences):

Norm, 9th grade algebra teacher. Retired air force combat pilot. Large seasoned man, didn't need a gun; but, he'd do good!

Ruth, taught in rural and reservation schools at career start; probably the best all-around academic I've ever known. And an old school disciplinarian! Broke many rulers on the backside of my head or hands--lessons well learned! She had a home defense pistol; good shot too. Need to say more...?

Virginia, 3rd grade, all of my kids. Petite, 95 pound, liberal. Runs from the word 'gun'. Nope!

or administrators...

Linda, way to angry, she'd use it on somebody stopping toilets with TP if the opportunity presented, Nope.

Jimmie, old as Moses, probably his sister. Remembers the day when kid, dogs and guns all came to school together. She'd probably have a .22 rifle in the closet: woe be the poor...

Tony, HS principal, hunter, crack head-excluded!

On the other hand, every school I've ever been in or visited had a couple of janitors that hunted or a part-time coach that really was a stand-up personality.

And a steady flow of parents. Some helping as aids, some delivering or retrieving kids from outside appointments (doctor/dentist), some just visiting, especially in todays schools.

As parents, we already need to sign-in and get a visitor badge. Gotta flash an ID to grab-up a kid. Flashing the CHL to an ARMED school security officer (who maintains a silent vigil) in the check-in process wouldn't be any big deal!

We don't really need everyone armed; don't really want them. But 1% of the proven very best of all walks of life might just make the critical difference we need.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I've stated this before...
    We should not be discussing "Arming the Teachers!"...bad idea! It only leads to misconceptions on the part of TEACHERS, parents, students, and the media has a field day with the topic.

We only need to allow INDIVIDUALS with CCW permits, trained with background checks, to be given the right to carry on school grounds, just like in Utah. This removes the focus from 'teachers' being given a Glock with paper and pencils concept, to a more revelant discussion on responsible self-defense.

I work in a school, I'd carry in a heartbeat, and no one has to know!

I voted but there was a different poll

55% Al Gore deserved Nobel
    45% Al Gore did not deserve Nobel

One of the 45%...
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Right now it's asking if Al Gore deserves the Nobel Prize...
    I happily voted NO, but the no's are behind right now by about 10%.
    XD9SC, S&W 637
    Taurus 85, SKS
    Nevada CCW
    Utah CCW

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Just had to vote.
    Seeing that the world has warmed and cooled umpteen times in history, you could say it's sort of the nature of things.
    You can probably guess which way I voted.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links