Pizza delivery drivers getting robbed

This is a discussion on Pizza delivery drivers getting robbed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; An article from the local fishwrap about a recent run of delivery driver robberies in my area. http://www.news-journalonline.com/Ne...AD03101107.htm I note that the shop owners and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

An article from the local fishwrap about a recent run of delivery driver robberies in my area.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/Ne...AD03101107.htm

I note that the shop owners and the LEOs give the whole "don't resist" speech. Although the (controversial) Chief of the PD advises to avoid the trouble areas (read, minority neighborhoods) Some shops got in hot water for doing that years ago. I notice the Delivery Driver's Union pres mentions guns briefly, perhaps he has a more realistic view.

The pizza drivers I have had the privelege to know were all pretty well armed, almost as well armed as the cab drivers. (and both better than the DBPD, right Mr. Musketeer?)

One occupation that I think should be required to carry a gun.

When I lived in Detroit there was a big hub-bub about how some delivery companies were 'racist' because they declined to deliver in some areas as a matter of policy. Refusing business is a slippery slope as far as legality is concerned.

Of couse, the safest policty (legally) for a company is to mandate delivery, and mandate that the driver simply allows himself to be beat, robbed or killed w/o protest. That way you can be sure that he has done nothing wrong. Anyone want that job?

Safest policy for the driver and safest policy for the company are two different things. If I was that desperate for a job and THAT was my job I wouldn't need anyone's permission to do what is necessary to level the playing field. A person owes neither an explanation nor an apology for safeguarding his own life.

Administrator
    I used to deliver pizzas back in the day... it was kind of fun. I did have some close calls. After a week or two, I did start to carry. I also would refuse to deliver in a certain apartment complex, eventually the owner of the pizza joint stopped deliverying there all together. Of course we were called racists and all that, but oh well. They made race an issue, not us.

I dont think there is anything wrong with refusing business for whatever reason you want to make up. If I dont want your money, I dont want your money.
    "Just blame Sixto"

7 years ago I was getting two pizza's a week delivered, the store manager told me about a Pizza delivery bulliten board in the www,

The trick back then was to remove the pizza from the insulated sleeve, unholster the gun and place your left hand and the gun into the pizza sleeve and place the pizza on top of the left hand in the pizza sleeve.

so if the robbery took place, there was no reaching for a gun or drawing involved ,you already had the guun pointed .
    Guns don't kill people , compounded interest kills people

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizonut View Post
    7 years ago I was getting two pizza's a week delivered, the store manager told me about a Pizza delivery bulliten board in the www,

The trick back then was to remove the pizza from the insulated sleeve, unholster the gun and place your left hand and the gun into the pizza sleeve and place the pizza on top of the left hand in the pizza sleeve.

so if the robbery took place, there was no reaching for a gun or drawing involved ,you already had the guun pointed .
    Key-rap! I don't think the job pays near enough for me to go through all that!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Without going into any detail, this is a subject that I know a lot about. I live in a very low-crime area, but pizza drivers are such easy targets that they are the bulk of robberies on the police blotters. Just last weekend 2 drivers from different companies were robbed at gunpoint in adjoining neighborhoods. A month or so ago an acquaintance of mine had his head split open with a brick. Spent 7 days in neurological ICU.

All of the companies that I know anything about have the same policy as referenced above; no weapons of any sort allowed, which is why drivers are such easy targets. I know one franchisee who is an ex-marine and an avid hunter, but he follows the no-weapons policy strictly with his employees. Of course, for him, it's understandable; he'd lose his franchise license if corporate ever even thought he was being soft on the policy.

Hypothetically-speaking, if I was a delivery driver, not saying I am you understand, but if I was, I'd be packin'.....every day, on every delivery. I'd also strictly follow the company's security procedures, which can serve to prevent confrontations if implemented properly. The policies that I know about include being hyper-aware of your surroundings, which, most of us who carry are anyway. If a driver thinks they're being followed, make a couple of turns and if the car stays on their tail, screw it, go back to the store. Don't deliver to houses at night if they don't have their porch light on. If you have a cell phone, call 'em and ask 'em to turn it on, otherwise, go back to the store. I mean, it's pretty basic, common sense stuff. But common sense is only good if it's implemented. For the ones who don't implement it religiously, carrying a gun wouldn't do them much good anyway. They'll be laid out in the gutter with their head split open before they even know there's a fight starting. They'll lose their money, their wallet and their gun. Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of drivers actually believe that the company policy somehow protects them. Hypothetically, if I had been in that business for, oh, say, 20 years, it wouldn't have taken me more than about 15 minutes on the job to figure out that the policy does nothing but make me the perfect victim. Hypothetically, I'd do the best job I could and follow every other rule to the letter, but I wouldn't follow the one about no weapons. I'd be packin'....hypothetically of course!

Blues
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

I actually deliver for Dominoes right now, I alway have my gun with me. I carry my XD .40 in my fobus paddle holster because of the quick on and off capibility. we dont have to tuck our shirts in, so it works good, so far nothing has happend to me, but over the past year there has been a few drivers get robbed from Dominoes and PaPa Johns. so I'm ready just in case.

I delivered for a few years while I was in college. There are 2 things that probably prevented me from ever getting robbed. 1. My boss was smart enough not to put any advertising on the delivery car. 2. I always removed the pizza from the hot bag in the trunk, so if I was observed, I just look like some guy taking home his pizza. The pizza isn't going to get cold from the curb to the door. and yes, I was always armed with something.

hey blues, could you bring me a pizza, hypothetically
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Key-rap! I don't think the job pays near enough for me to go through all that!
    You might be suprised just how much you can make P/T delivering pizza. Not that you are going to get rich, but it did give me plenty of walking around money, and I paid cash for a new truck in a little over a years time doing it. That was my goal (I hate loans) once I was able to buy the truck I wanted, I stopped doing it.

In fact, I should start doing it again instead of sitting on DC in my down time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by xd.40sub View Post
    hey blues, could you bring me a pizza, hypothetically
    In my hypothetical scenario, I wouldn't be a driver anymore, I'd be a store manager.

Blues
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    If you were Hypothetically a store manager, how many hypothetical drivers would you have and how many of them would have been hypothetically robbed in the last year?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Different Hypothetical Question...

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    If you were Hypothetically a store manager, how many hypothetical drivers would you have and how many of them would have been hypothetically robbed in the last year?
    How man BG's do you think should get 'hypothetically' shot for attempting a pizza delivery robbery?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    All of them?...Hypothetically, OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

man, pizza delievery people can't have that much money...but i would certainly not deliever to places like that if in that situation. It is just pizza, i wouldn't die or kill over it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links