Article I submitted for my school paper.

This is a discussion on Article I submitted for my school paper. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Empty Holster Demonstration Planned Students for Concealed Carry on Campus ( www.concealedcampus.com ) is planning a week-long demonstration from October 22nd through October 26th. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article I submitted for my school paper.

Article I submitted for my school paper.

Empty Holster Demonstration Planned

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (www.concealedcampus.com) is planning a week-long demonstration from October 22nd through October 26th. The demonstration will, in part, consist of holders of concealed weapons permits wearing a visible, empty handgun holster to school in protest of state laws and campus policies that stack the odds in favor of armed killers by disarming law abiding citizens.

The idea is not as outlandish as it sounds. Since fall of 2006, the state of Utah has allowed their students and faculty to defend themselves and others on college campuses. Many people argue that adding guns in a learning environment would mean an increase in violence, at a time when campus shootings are already making the news on a seemingly constant basis. The evidence just doesn't support this claim. Utah's universities have not had a single violent act as a result of the new law. Furthermore, multiple studies, including those done by universities and state agencies, show that concealed weapons permit holders are five times LESS likely than non-license holders to be arrested for violent crimes.

Over the past twenty years, the vast majority of multi-victim “shooting sprees” have taken place in gun free zones, where law-abiding citizens are forced to disarm. The Luby's Cafeteria massacre in Texas in 1991 to the Virginia Tech shootings in April this year are both examples of what happens in so-called gun free zones. At the Appalachian School of Law in Grundy, Virginia on Jan. 16, 2002 a gunman came to school armed and shot and killed the school's Dean, a professor and another student. Two students went to their cars and retrieved the firearms they had stored there, and with the help of an unarmed student were able to subdue the shooter.

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus does not want to arm every person at the school. In fact, the belief is that only competent, trained and stable individuals should ever carry a firearm. The State of Nevada requires concealed weapon permit holders to be at least 21 years of age, undergo a mandatory safety class, pass a written test, as well as pass a range proficiency test. After that, they submit the paperwork to the Washoe County Sheriff, who does a background check, fingerprints and takes a $105 application fee. If there are no problems, the applicant must then wait up to 120 days to receive their permit. So, if you see someone walking around campus with an empty holster this month, they're just exercising their First Amendment rights in order to support their Second.

2. Remove Ads

88m
    well done
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    And the frustration continues. I admire the effort but I don't think these people will ever "wake-up". Do you have a good turnout expected? I wonder how many people won't participate because they'd rather remain anonymous.

I wish you the best of luck!
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Good letter. I was hoping you might invite any students, not just permit holders, to join in the demonstration, but even with just permittees, it'll be a powerful message. Tell us how it goes.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Travieso View Post
    Empty Holster Demonstration Planned
    The demonstration will, in part, consist of holders of concealed weapons permits wearing a visible, empty handgun holster to school in protest of state laws and campus policies that stack the odds in favor of armed killers by disarming law abiding citizens.
    Are you not advertising that you carry a concealed weapon by doing such??

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Good letter. I was hoping you might invite any students, not just permit holders, to join in the demonstration, but even with just permittees, it'll be a powerful message. Tell us how it goes.
    That's actually a part of the "plan" unfortunately, I forgot to mention it in my letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit383
    Are you not advertising that you carry a concealed weapon by doing such??

Rick
    I'd considered this, but a few things made up my mind to participate.
    First, I don't carry at school, near school, or anywhere close to school, nor do I socialize with anyone from school outside of school.

Secondly, if the demonstration does make headway, the the time anything is resolved, I think I'll have graduated.

I don't like advertising that I carry, but sometimes the end result is worth the sacrifice. If it encourages people to open up and ask questions, and get straight answers, then that's a trade off I'm willing to make.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Awsome work here at my college I'm also planning the Empty holster day or t-shirt which ever my fellow would rather wear.

88m
    quick question for you, i was going to ask before and got side tracked.
    you don't have to say anything if you don't want of course but are you the same guy that was on gun talk this last weekend talking about this?

if so good interview with Tom and either way wish ya the best of luck.
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

Oh, no. I'm just some nobody.

Now that you bring it up though, Glen Beck is doing a pro-carry story on teachers and guns tonight. Should be worth watching.

Well Done. Thanks for sharing.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by 88m View Post
    quick question for you, i was going to ask before and got side tracked.
    you don't have to say anything if you don't want of course but are you the same guy that was on gun talk this last weekend talking about this?

if so good interview with Tom and either way wish ya the best of luck.
    That would be me. Thanks for the kind words. Did I mention that I love syndicated shows?

Quote Originally Posted by Travieso View Post
    Oh, no. I'm just some nobody.

Now that you bring it up though, Glen Beck is doing a pro-carry story on teachers and guns tonight. Should be worth watching.
    I'm just your average college student as well. NEVER just turn your head and sheepishly say your nobody. You're somebody with a worthy cause, and I really appreciate your efforts on your campus. As for me, it's a good thing I'm only doing 12 credit hours this quarter, I'd be screwed right now if I was doing any more.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Well done people. There should be some lively debate started with this one. Should also out the ultra-leftist faculty.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

You all have my support and best wishes. Use that good state of Utah as an excellent example all that you can.

good for you. keep up a good fight.
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links