Had A Scare Today

This is a discussion on Had A Scare Today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was walking into a holloween store with my younger brother so he could get a costome for a party. I was just about to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had A Scare Today

Had A Scare Today

I was walking into a holloween store with my younger brother so he could get a costome for a party. I was just about to enter the store when a truck drove by the enterence. Naturally I notice and look up. He looked directly at me with a goofy look and glanced down to his lap. One hand on the wheel. His right hand was fumbling around his lap. He looked back at me and his right arm started moving upward. He is at a near dead stop. I see he has something dark in his hand. I put my hand on my weapon. Can't really tell what he has.... Next thing I get a BLAST from a air horn. Made me jump bout 20 feet. Gun was half out of the holster.

I THANK GOD IT WASN"T A SQUIRT GUN! or a darn airsoft gun.

After that event.. the look that the store clerk gave me was as if she seen a ghost. Which told me she seen my weapon.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    I was walking into a holloween store with my younger brother so he could get a costome for a party. I was just about to enter the store when a truck drove by the enterence. Naturally I notice and look up. He looked directly at me with a goofy look and glanced down to his lap. One hand on the wheel. His right hand was fumbling around his lap. He looked back at me and his right arm started moving upward. He is at a near dead stop. I see he has something dark in his hand. I put my hand on my weapon. Can't really tell what he has.... Next thing I get a BLAST from a air horn. Made me jump bout 20 feet. Gun was half out of the holster.

I THANK GOD IT WASN"T A SQUIRT GUN! or a darn airsoft gun.

After that event.. the look that the store clerk gave me was as if she seen a ghost. Which told me she seen my weapon.
    Fortunately, you were not arrested.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

yeah. I got to be more careful. Gotta be on your toes.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

Why weren't you moving to Cover if you thought the ballon was going up?

That way you could've kept your gun hidden and nobody the wiser.

Biker

Their was nowhere to go except into the store which had big windows. nothing to stop a bullet or hide around. I should probably take a class in defensive tactics. Probably do some good.

That would have been scary for sure. I to think though that you should have done something besides just standing there. Course, I was not there either thankfully.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Administrator
    I should probably take a class in defensive tactics. Probably do some good.
    Not a slam on you at all, but this should have been done before you ever strapped on a pistol in public.
    Lack of training will get you killed, or at least make the CCW community look bad.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Well, most people would have just stood there and stared taking no action at all so, guess what? You're learning just like the rest of us! I sure as heck haven't arrived yet!

This experience has pointed out a weakness in your preparedness and didn't get you killed to do it! It's a good day!!!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Not a slam on you at all, but this should have been done before you ever strapped on a pistol in public.
    Lack of training will get you killed, or at least make the CCW community look bad.
    I took the state mandated class but it didn't touch on this sort of thing.

Celtic Wolf: We can be alert and vigilant. We can also be jumpy and paranoid. What did you think that truck driver was up to besides making a delivery? Of course I wasn't there and I don't mean to insult you but as you describe it you seemed, in this case, a bit jumpy and paranoid.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I hate "jokes" like that. This guy probably has no idea that he could have gotten himself shot. Sadly, we're probably going to see more of this type of thing as the end of October gets closer.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Luckily nobody was hurt. I thought you were going to say that the horn made you jump and pull the trigger.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Heck, living in Detroit would make anyone jumpy.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Administrator
    I took the state mandated class but it didn't touch on this sort of thing.
    The state mandated classes dont touch on a lot of things. Those classes are nothing more than to make sure your not going to do anything really really stupid.

Again, I'm not trying to pick on you, but I think you learned a valuable lesson. Go get trained!

...and I forgot to say that I dont think you did anything wrong. Just perhaps there were more options for you had you known where to look.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Why weren't you moving to Cover if you thought the ballon was going up?

That way you could've kept your gun hidden and nobody the wiser.

Biker
    Maybe nobody noticed the younger brother standing right beside him...TWO people to watch out for. Waddaya gonna do, jump for cover and leave your little bro hanging in the wind??? Not me. I think he did EXACTLY right in the circumstances. NO shot fired. Didn't even fully draw. I think I would have done the same thing in those circumstances. He pulled the plug BEFORE anything happened. What more can you ask, and still be safe? IMHO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links