Concealed Camping/Hiking

This is a discussion on Concealed Camping/Hiking within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Backpacking I'll usually carry my S&W 640 in a small pouch attached to the waist belt of my pack when hiking or slipped in to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Camping/Hiking

VIP Member
    Backpacking I'll usually carry my S&W 640 in a small pouch attached to the waist belt of my pack when hiking or slipped in to a pocket at camp. (I have some velcro straps that makes that work for me with the large padding on the belt.)
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

I've solo backpacked a lot in Cali and started with a generic fannypack worn around the front, hanging over the waistbelt (on a gregory reality 3500ci pack). I graduated up to a Tommy Pack in their largest size and carried a Glock 21. It is a quality piece, inexpensive, opens very rapidly (faster than the wilderness pack, but less retention too) and has a front pocket to hold other gear (mags, lip balm...). The only gripe with the pack is that the zippers are not YKK brand and so the vertical zipper (there's only one) has a tendency to slowly open up. After a few hours hiking, it opens about an inch or two. I doubt the gun has a chance to fall out unless you're trailblazing but it was still annoying. Their CS is pretty good, as I was sent another one 2 day mail after complaining. Unfortunately, it did the same thing.

There are many dedicated gun carrying fanny packs out there, good luck.

While certainly not a bear killer or man stopper in the classic sense, I pocket carry my P3AT on every hike and backpacking trip. It's readily accessible. When hanging in my Hennessy hammock at night, it rests perfectly in a little net bag hanging from the inside ridgeline. Weight is often an issue when backpacking and I've found the P3AT to be a fair compromise.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    A J-Frame in your pocket.

I carry a J-frame in the pocket alot myself too. .357 airlite PD fits real well, being hammerless helps pocket carry too. Also, I always use a non-leather holster though to keep the humidity out. I see lots of mud and grime in my line of work and love the .357 revolver for such useage. I also have an above average need for snakeshot which of course predicates a revolver (or a shotgun at times!!!) as well.

For me...

In the Colorado Rockies, I carry a 4" S&W .44mag OWB under a butt ugly orange and red Hawaiian shirt. I call it the "flag down the rescue helicopter shirt." There's not a natural thing for 1,000 miles that color. My backpack doesn't have the big waist strap.

An alternative for you might be open carry. Get a cheap nylon holster and sew it to that big waist strap on your back pack or get one of those Commando Bob thigh holsters.

I've open carried my 7.5 inch Super Redhawk .454 OWB cross draw many times around other hikers and campers and no one hassled me at all. Imagine that. I even open carried it and was very friendly to a father and his two sons from NYC who camped about 200 yards from us. They couldn't keep their eyes off it, but never mentioned it. I was very courteous and even invited them to join us for s'mores. Given their origin, I just wanted them to see that the gun doesn't make you a bad guy.

Why people would camp where the critters have claws and not bring a gun baffles me.

+1 on the front facing fanny pack. I picked up a pistol fanny pack that even has a built in water bladder that works very well with my Taurus 2 1/2" .44 magnum. It rides above the waistbelt of my Gregory pack and is comfortable and accessable.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Isn't this a moot point?
    Carrying a loaded weapon in a federal park, on federal land, and in most state parks is illegal anyway.
    Is everyone here a felon?

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    Quote Originally Posted by devilc View Post
    Isn't this a moot point?
    Carrying a loaded weapon in a federal park, on federal land, and in most state parks is illegal anyway.
    Even Federal facilities must be posted. National Forests are subject to the whims of the local administration.

My suggestions are: Open carry if you can. Attach a holster to your waist belt or shoulder strap; wear a hog-leg. If you must go concealed I'm sure you can find someone to rig up a cover for your piece. How many hikers do you see with all kinds of crap hanging off their packs? Which one was the cell phone/personal locater beacon/swiss army gizmo/etc.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Must be posted?
    I think you are in error here, as much as I wish you were not.
    US Code is pretty clear.

1943 - 2009
    Isn't this a moot point?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfreak View Post
    Even Federal facilities must be posted. National Forests are subject to the whims of the local administration.
    We have covered this topic many, many times. Search for National Forest, National Park, or State Park. You'll find enough reading to last you a day or two, at least.

But let's review, briefly.

The OP is talking about concealed carry on National Forest land. This is land managed by the U.S. Forest Service, a part of the U.S. Dep't of Agriculture. Firearms in National Forests are generally unrestricted, subject to regional exceptions. Some National Forests in the South and Southeast prohibit firearms except during State hunting seasons. No such restrictions exist on Western National Forests. Go to www.fs.fed.us to search for firearms regulations for the National Forests in your State.

The carrying of firearms is prohibited in National Parks, National Monuments, National Historic Sites, and any land managed by the U.S. National Park Service, a part of the U.S. Dep't of the Interior. Firearms may be transported on NPS land, but they must be securely cased and unloaded. Go to www.nps.gov for particulars.

State Parks are an entirely different proposition. 50 states, 50 different sets of laws and regulations, entirely separate from Federal law. To assert that carrying a loaded weapon is illegal in most State Parks is simply not correct. For example, carrying loaded firearms in Montana State Parks is legal.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    Why people would camp where the critters have claws and not bring a gun baffles me.
    It's not the ones with claws I worry about - it's the two legged ones.

(Bears don't kill people - people kill people)

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by libertarian5 View Post
    It's not the ones with claws I worry about - it's the two legged ones.

(Bears don't kill people - people kill people)
    Yep sir, especially the stupid drunken hunter ones that always seem to mistake the bright orange for a deer.

I carry a G20 on a drop leg holster when I am hunting here in the NW. I have found it to be the most comfortable. I have a concealable (all be it obvious) pouch that came with my pack frame that I use to pack out game, but I have never had the occasion to use it.

While always on the lookout for 2 legged threats, the 4 legged threat that is starting to become a problem here in Oregon is the mountain lions. We have not had a reported full out attack on a human, yet, but we have had numerous close calls and even some child snatching attempts. Five years ago, we had a 7'11", 200 lbs cat come up in the middle of us. He now makes a fine rug in my house.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Must be posted?
    I think you are in error here, as much as I wish you were not.
    US Code is pretty clear.
    We're talking about National Forest, not National Park. Carry is fine with the feds in the National Forest in every state. Some states have state regulations against carry there, most don't.

if it is the rut for deer or bears have been spotted I pack my ruger 44 mag SA in my duffelbag side pocket loaded, otherwise its a little makarov with extra mag. national forrests are off limits but personally i'd rather be fined than dead...just me though

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links