Concealed Camping/Hiking

Concealed Camping/Hiking

This is a discussion on Concealed Camping/Hiking within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering what others do when hiking/camping in regards to concealed carry. Specifically, I would like to know how people carry while sporting a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Camping/Hiking

Question Concealed Camping/Hiking

I was wondering what others do when hiking/camping in regards to concealed carry.

Specifically, I would like to know how people carry while sporting a backpack. By backpack, I mean a large pack that has a padded waistbelt built into it. Obviously the waistbelt would hinder normal IWB carry. How do you carry when hiking/camping?

I would like to hear solutions that maintain concealment, but provide ready access in case of emergency.

Thanks!

JEC
    Quote Originally Posted by kyccw View Post
    I was wondering what others do when hiking/camping in regards to concealed carry.

Specifically, I would like to know how people carry while sporting a backpack. By backpack, I mean a large pack that has a padded waistbelt built into it. Obviously the waistbelt would hinder normal IWB carry. How do you carry when hiking/camping?

I would like to hear solutions that maintain concealment, but provide ready access in case of emergency.

Thanks!
    First question might be, is concealed carry or open carry permitted where you're hiking? State Park, Federal land, National Forest etc.

Since your backpack has a waistband I might opt for a shoulder rig.

Jack

Administrator
    I typically frown on carrying in a bag or pack, but thats what I do when I'm out on my bike or hunting/camping or whatever.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My camping pack has two decent sized pockets that are on the side and designed for snacks or some such thing, seems the H&K .40 fullsize fits perfectly in one with a couple of magazines in the other. Though I am thinking of picking up one of the new Taurus Judges for that and rugged truck duty.

For hiking or exercise walking I use a large green fanny pack that I got from Bagmaster. I wear it in front. The gun is easily accessed and it's a comfortable carry. Of course anyone who knows these things won't be fooled by my fanny pack.

Quote Originally Posted by JEC View Post
    First question might be, is concealed carry or open carry permitted where your hiking? State Park, Federal land, National Forest etc.

Since your backpack has a waistband I might opt for a shoulder rig.

Jack
    Yes, open carry is permitted in KY, although I would not carry that way, except as a LAST resort. Concealed carry would be a strong preference.

Most of this would take place in National Forest, and as such, CCDW concealed carry is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindjin View Post
    My camping pack has two decent sized pockets that are on the side and designed for snacks or some such thing, seems the H&K .40 fullsize fits perfectly in one with a couple of magazines in the other. Though I am thinking of picking up one of the new Taurus Judges for that and rugged truck duty.
    Do you find you can access those pockets while the pack is on? I typically carry a fairly large Gregory pack, that does have side pockets, but I have trouble accessing them, with the pack on. Perhaps I need to try that again?

I went open while in George Washington National Forest a few weeks ago. I typically carry IWB but a pack makes things a bit more interesting. I usually end up going with a drop-leg holster and it works well. It's easy to get to (since it's just below your hand) and it's out of the way of your pack/gear etc...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I am a cartographer and spend a lot of time on projects hiking / backpacking. For a day pack I like the Camelback Demon. For overnight stuff with a full sized pack I use a Wilderness Tacticle Safepacker that goes over the waistbelt. It will fit on almost any size waistbelt. Works great. http://store.thewilderness.com/index...458c2ebf6139c0

JEC
    ...Concealed carry would be a strong preference....
    In that case I may vote for the Fanny Pack worn in the front.
    Not many other options for concealed carry with the backpack.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    For hiking or exercise walking I use a large green fanny pack that I got from Bagmaster. I wear it in front. The gun is easily accessed and it's a comfortable carry. Of course anyone who knows these things won't be fooled by my fanny pack.
    Yes, this could be an option.

For what it's worth, I am speaking of hiking fairly deep in the woods, where access to a weapon would be as much, if not more so, for protection from some sort of animal, as it would be for human encounters.

A backpack with some sort of concealed holster built into the waistband would be perfect. I would guess that would be something that might be able to be adapted, putting together a few products.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian5 View Post
    I am a cartographer and spend a lot of time on projects hiking / backpacking. For a day pack I like the Camelback Demon. For overnight stuff with a full sized pack I use a Wilderness Tacticle Safepacker that goes over the waistbelt. It will fit on almost any size waistbelt. Works great. http://store.thewilderness.com/index...458c2ebf6139c0
    Yes, I was thinking of this type of setup. Good to know it works with the wide waistbelt of a fullsize pack. Do you perchance have any pics of it on the pack?

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I went open while in George Washington National Forest a few weeks ago. I typically carry IWB but a pack makes things a bit more interesting. I usually end up going with a drop-leg holster and it works well. It's easy to get to (since it's just below your hand) and it's out of the way of your pack/gear etc...
    I agree with you that a drop leg provides great unencumbered access, but the openness of such carry won't work for me. There will be many times when I do not wish to make all those in the camping party aware of my carry status.

Do you find you can access those pockets while the pack is on? I typically carry a fairly large Gregory pack, that does have side pockets, but I have trouble accessing them, with the pack on. Perhaps I need to try that again?
    Yea I have no problem, the zippers are upsidedown U type so with the pull infront I just reach back, slide the zipper up and the USP is carried upside down in a stretch band that I sewed into the pocket to keep it from flopping around. The pack is currently in my storage shed otherwise I'd get ya some pictures.

i actually did this not to long ago.
    my packpack has a fannypack top.
    so i took that off and attached it to the waistband of my backpack around 10 oclock. worked great.

Distinguished Member
    kyccw: I'm curious, if you are going to be carrying for the 4 legged critters, what gun/cal. do you carry??

Z

RE:

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    kyccw: I'm curious, if you are going to be carrying for the 4 legged critters, what gun/cal. do you carry??

Z
    I just recently moved up to a G36 (.45) ..Its lightweight and doesnt bother me if it gets some mud or rain on it. If im out in the boonies Im open carrying attached to the waist strap of my backpack.... If im trekkin the comunist (creeper) trail I usually go with a shoulder holster so it doesnt pull my britches down.. LOL
    "What if? If not, who needs seatbelts, life rafts, and fire extingishers. Sure theres other ways, if thats what you want... I know ill be alive, dry, and not on fire!"

G17, G19, G36, PPK/S
    Support the right - www.vcdl.org

I hope you don't run into any bears with only a .45 to help you. You might consider a G29. Something is better than nothing, and a .45 is better than most though.

Austin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links