Why did you first start carrying?

This is a discussion on Why did you first start carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why I began carrying . Partly, I lived in California at the time, so ensuring I wouldn't be arrested for a simple mistake going to/from ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did you first start carrying?

Why I began carrying. Partly, I lived in California at the time, so ensuring I wouldn't be arrested for a simple mistake going to/from legitimate hunting or range sessions was a motivation. The rest of the story was because I saw the changing criminal landscape and didn't like what I saw. Thought it through and realized that being without a firearm effectively amounts to being undefended, in these times ... and that I couldn't accept any longer.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

I've been jonesing for a pistol since high school. I learned that I couldn't get one until I turned 21. After 21 rolled by I got lazy and just never took care of getting a permit and weapon. With the rise in crime in our small town... my father-n-law got his ccp and that spurred me (now 24) and wife to get it done. The week after applying we went and charged 2 Xd's to my credit card and when we received our permits, I've tried to carry as many places as possible but I'm limited b/c I work at a college. My wife carries almost everywhere she goes.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I don't believe in fate, and I refuse to be a statistic without taking the attacker with me.
    Hey Jeep guy, let the attacker be a statistic, you just do your part right, and stay back here with us.

Z

Distinguished Member
    My original thought for getting "the permit" was more to do with hunting, and getting caught with a pistol under a coat while out coon hunting (to keep it out of the elements), or quite often I would place a pistol in my glove box and forget about it. But after taking the class, and starting to understand some of the teachings about situational awareness, and reading the paper, it became real apparent as why we need to carry on us as much as possible.

Z

Okay, here is one of the strangest replies you will see. As a retired Professional Tunnel Boat Racer, I do not believe in LUCK. My definition of LUCK is "when preparation meets opportunity". That definition holds true for "good" and "bad" LUCK. Which LUCK will you have when the SHTF? By remaining prepared for battle, I choose to attempt to have the better LUCK in the deal. As a husband, father, grandfather, and a moral citizen, I feel it is my duty to remain prepared to attempt to make the BG have bad luck on the day we have an encounter.
    When I went to work for our local Sheriff, I was required to sign an oath. That oath was to protect and serve, I took that oath very seriously. Though retired from SO, I still take that oath seriously. In Louisiana, if you have gone through POST, you are able to obtain a CCW permit, great thinking. So, to condense the answer down, like others here, I made a few enemies working as an Investigator and on the SORT team. I would really like to remain prepared should some of those folks decide that I assisted in ruining their good times, and want to "get even". I love my family enough to not only worry about them, but, to take a pro-active stance in their protection.
    Coulda, woulda, and shoulda, are the biggest killers to unprepared victims in this country.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by fightingchance View Post
    I started carrying not long after the VA Tech shooting. I think the more I thought about what happened there, the more I realized we're only as protected as we make ourselves. Thoses students , disarmed because of politicians unwilling to allow citizens to excercise there second admendment rights , never stood a chance against that maniac. I thought about what I would do in a similiar situation, at the time , without a concealed carry permit, I realized I would have most likely ended up a victim, and I decided that just wasn't an acceptable way to be living my life.
    That echoes my thoughts exactly. I thought about the holocaust-survivor professor who gave his life while his students escaped. Had he been armed, Mr. Cho could have been stopped. The more I read about the campus and local police's response, the sadder I got about those students dying needlessly.

I didn't want to be like that professor and wish I had a gun (and knew how to use it) at that life-defining moment. So I started reading, surfing and asking questions. I found out there are a bunch of "regular" people that are armed - not just the gun nuts that Hollywood portrays.

So now I take responsibility for my own personal protection, instead of praying for the police to show up.
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I got started in 1951 when the company wanted me to carry a gun while driving a dynamite truck. Seems there was some concern that a pending strike might make the truck and its contents a good target. Now a days its for the protection of myself and my family. Of course there were 24 years in the military where a gun was just natural.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

why did i get my permit when i did?
    i turned 21
    why did i get it in general?
    no specific event. simply because i wanted to be able to protect myself and those i love

I started open carry when I worked on the families ranch in New Mexico. We had a wild dog problem and I kept S&W 586 with me (still have it today). It was just easier to run to town and back when required and leave it on. At least I felt that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Hey Jeep guy, let the attacker be a statistic, you just do your part right, and stay back here with us.

Z

That's the goal. So far it's paid off once, without even having to do a complete draw. Unfortunately, I can only carry about 30% of the time. Can't carry on campus. I've gotta get back into running.....might pay off in the future.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I find it interesting that few of the responses have to do with a specific occurrence. It seems most of us understand we are living in a bad world and just want to level the playing field.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Why did you first start carrying?

I read the newspaper
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I refuse to become another crime statistic, and it is a right given to me by our founding fathers. Nobody will take that right away from me, and I mean NOBODY.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Because It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

And if we don't... Hillary wins
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    When the Clintons and their anti lackeys and cronies were in power, I did it as a political statement as much as anything.

They considered an armed citizen to be very naughty, so I became a legally armed citizen and joined the NRA.

When I get my Lifetime license next year, I will send a photocopy of it to the Brady group..........

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links