Why did you first start carrying?

This is a discussion on Why did you first start carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I started carrying not long after the VA Tech shooting. I think the more I thought about what happened there, the more I realized we're ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

I started carrying not long after the VA Tech shooting. I think the more I thought about what happened there, the more I realized we're only as protected as we make ourselves. Thoses students , disarmed because of politicians unwilling to allow citizens to excercise there second admendment rights , never stood a chance against that maniac. I thought about what I would do in a similiar situation, at the time , without a concealed carry permit, I realized I would have most likely ended up a victim, and I decided that just wasn't an acceptable way to be living my life. After some serious thought , research, and discussion with my wife, I applied for my permit. I know carrying doesn't make me invincible, but it does give me a fighting chance , and in the end , that's all I can really ask for. Now , that I've told you what prompted me to start carrying, tell me your story, why did you decide to start carrying?
    Last edited by fightingchance; October 14th, 2007 at 12:00 AM.

Pretty much the same reason, im also a art student at the local community college. Sadly during the course of getting my permit i found out i still won't be able to carry in class.

Quote Originally Posted by fightingchance View Post
    I know carrying doesn't make me invincible, but it doesn't give me a fighting chance , and in the end , that's all I can really ask for.
    Confused a bit about your quote above, "doesn't"?
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Not *technically* carrying, since I don't have my gun yet, but in my mind, I'm there. I hope to have it in the next two weeks or so. Does that count? I will be carrying for basic self protection. I feel it is my duty as a mother to protect my children. We originally took a basic pistol course and joined a range after 9/11. Both my husband and I shot before that, but after 9/11 is when we got serious. We learned through a lot of pain and suffering through others that we were responsible first and foremost for the safety of our family. (as opposed to the gov!) After moving to a ccw state, carrying is only the natural thing to do.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Got my permit (required for mere possession in MA) back in 1976. Said permit allowed me to CCW, I spent a lot of time in Downtown Boston, often picking my Wife up from graduate school on a public road across from a field/park that was well-known for rapes and attacks and never patrolled by Boston PD.
    NRA Instructor

So that I could and would have the ability to protect my family, self, and property.

Is there another reason to carry?
    Keep your powder dry

Quote Originally Posted by Hotbrass View Post
    So that I could and would have the ability to protect my family, self, and property.

Is there another reason to carry?
    +1

My thoughts exactly. That is why I started carrying 19 years ago and why I will be carrying till the day I die.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

TRP
    Because I can. There are a lot of bad people out there and you need to protect yourselves from them. I have hauled some of these folks to jail and they are out doing the same old crap that ended them in jail to begin with.
    SA TRP Armory-Kote
    Glock 22
    Glock 27

Quote Originally Posted by TRP View Post
    Because I can. There are a lot of bad people out there and you need to protect yourselves from them. I have hauled some of these folks to jail and they are out doing the same old crap that ended them in jail to begin with.
    +1 on that
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I, like the rest of you carry to protect those that I love and hold close to my heart. When Mo. finely got their act together and started allowing its citizens to legally carry. I was in line.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Being able to carry as a LEO and then not be able to carry when I left the force was very frustrating to me. A soon as it became legal to CCW I immediately applied for my permit and have been carrying ever since.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by mocarryguy View Post
    Confused a bit about your quote above, "doesn't"?
    sorry, it should say ;"it does give me a fighting chance" , sometimes my typing gets ahead of me.

I don't believe in fate, and I refuse to be a statistic without taking the attacker with me.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Well, being from and working in the hot spots of the NE(NYC, Newark, NJ, etc.) I have often been in positions that having a CCW would have been very comforting if the situation went (further)south.
    Now living in a gun friendly part of the country I've embraced having THE option for the gravest situation.

Sam.

The study of history is one of my hobbies, and I'm not stupid.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links