SC carry and FT Jackson weapon in car

This is a discussion on SC carry and FT Jackson weapon in car within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone enlighten me as to being able to carry in SC without being a resident there? Seems only residents can carry concealed. Also does ...

Can anyone enlighten me as to being able to carry in SC without being a resident there? Seems only residents can carry concealed. Also does anyone know the weapons policy at FT Jackson? I know I cannot carry there, but what about locking it in the car on base?

Thanks

Jim

To carry concealed you must have a permit either from SC or a reciprocal state and be a resident of that state. If you are in the military I believe you can get a SC permit even if you are not a permanent resident. Carry in you car in the glove box or console does not require a permit.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/ for details

I have no idea about Ft Jackson.

Don't try to bring a weapon onto a military base, any military base, unless you're going there to hunt or shoot at a range and you have already determined the procedures for doing so. I can guarantee that there's a sign on the gate that says firearms are prohibited.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member
    I asked that same question last year (military base). I work on an Air Force base and it is true you cannot bring a weapon on base unless you are taking it to the armory or are going to the range with prior approval. Except for LEO's, on duty, only the Base Commander can give you permission and that is rare, rare, rare.

Administrator
    Yup, dont do it. It isnt worth it.

I'm assuming you have a soldier there and your going to see them after basic or AIT, your going to be kept pretty busy, and its full of good people. Dont worry about your weapon and have a good time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

To tell the truth I was not planing on carrying on base. Mainly wondered if it could be left in the trunk instead of leaving it in a hotel. Wasn't sure how that would work out.

Jim

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    When on a military installation, your vehicle and person are subject to search at any time. You will have some very tough questions to answer if a weapon is found.

I am retired military and work at a Nuclear Power plant so I can not carry on most days.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    When on a military installation, your vehicle and person are subject to search at any time. You will have some very tough questions to answer if a weapon is found.

I am retired military and work at a Nuclear Power plant so I can not carry on most days.
    What nuke plant? I wasn't aware of any in CT... Were you a nuke in the Navy?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbolyard View Post
    To tell the truth I was not planing on carrying on base. Mainly wondered if it could be left in the trunk instead of leaving it in a hotel. Wasn't sure how that would work out.

Jim
    Get a safe with a cable and lock it to a hard point and leave it in the hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Get a safe with a cable and lock it to a hard point and leave it in the hotel.
    Thats exactly what I did.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post

I am retired military and work on a Navy base. A couple of weeks ago, I was randomly chosen for a car search at the main gate. The guard looked under the hood, in the glove box and console, all throughout the interior, and in the little lift up storage area in the wayback of my SUV. I had my Secure-It steel lockbox (like this one: http://www.center-of-mass.com/), which I use for transporting handguns between PA and VA (via the PRMD) cable-locked to the car's frame.

It was empty, of course, and unlocked, but he didn't even mention it or try to open it (shrug).
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by covertfolder View Post
    What nuke plant? I wasn't aware of any in CT... Were you a nuke in the Navy?

Millstone Station (Owned by Dominion) in Waterford, CT (SE part of the state), and yes I was a submarine Nuke ET for 20+ years.

Links