Reciprocity within states (hypothetical)

This is a discussion on Reciprocity within states (hypothetical) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just thought about this last night as I was going to sleep. Now, it is totally hypothetical, probably (hopefully) will never happen. But still, ...

Thread: Reciprocity within states (hypothetical)

Reciprocity within states (hypothetical)

I just thought about this last night as I was going to sleep. Now, it is totally hypothetical, probably (hopefully) will never happen. But still, just a thought.

Could you imagine if it wasn't up to states but rather the cities within to decide on CCW laws and reciprocity. Oh man, I shudder at the thought of not being able to go to Dallas or San Antonio just because my permit was not recognized in those cities.

2. Remove Ads

philadelphia is already trying to do this in PA. they make it as difficult as they can to get your permit, and they have a habit of BSing citizens about CC laws. if you are caught carrying (legally) in philly, the cops will do their utmost to make your life miserable. the city is trying to legislate new laws that would affect gun owners in philly, and other keystoners to a lesser extent. NY has the same problem. the legality of firearms in NY state is wildly different than NYC. your hypothetical is a very scary possibility already.

oooh! I forgot about NYC, I never knew about Philly. You're right, no longer hypothetical.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Don't forget Chicago

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

From what I've read, this is how Nebraska is right now, excluding reciprocity. They don't recognize any other state's permits.

Some cities in Ohio tried to play this game before pre-emption went into effect earlier this year. There were cities with their own AWBs, which could make things difficult for those packing hi-cap semi autos.

There were tons of other goofy laws that made it almost impossible to know if you were obeying all of them if you drove across the state. Thankfully HB347 made firearm laws uniform across the state.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyePFC View Post
    Some cities in Ohio tried to play this game before pre-emption went into effect earlier this year. There were cities with their own AWBs, which could make things difficult for those packing hi-cap semi autos.

There were tons of other goofy laws that made it almost impossible to know if you were obeying all of them if you drove across the state. Thankfully HB347 made firearm laws uniform across the state.
    Sort of.... the three big C cities in Ohio still have their own laws and they are tied up in court right now. They cant enforce a thing, but the laws are on the books.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    philadelphia is already trying to do this in PA. they make it as difficult as they can to get your permit, and they have a habit of BSing citizens about CC laws. if you are caught carrying (legally) in philly, the cops will do their utmost to make your life miserable. the city is trying to legislate new laws that would affect gun owners in philly, and other keystoners to a lesser extent. NY has the same problem. the legality of firearms in NY state is wildly different than NYC. your hypothetical is a very scary possibility already.
    All the LEGAL gun owners will move, leaving philly in worse condition.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

I saw a recent news report about the Philly situation. If the State Legislature had not passed a law specifically banning municipalities from further restricting the state law, Philly would already have a ban passed. Remember, all the voting precincts on that side are 'blue'. Their mentality is--They are the Gov't, They know what's best for us.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    Good thing there are oodles of gun owners in PA... this state would go red in a heartbeat if they ever tried to pass any anti-gun garbage in Harrisburg.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Don't forget Chicago

AFS
    Wish I could!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Don't forget Chicago

AFS
    Not only Chicago, but there are other counties in Illinois you better not be caught in with a gun. It's learning which counties they are. I don't want to find out...

Fortunately, in most of the rational states, like Oklahoma, we have a preemption clause in our constitution that prevents political sub-divisions like counties, cities, towns, from pre-empting state laws on firearms. The state law says I can carry and where, the cities must abide by that.

Makes me glad I live in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    Not only Chicago, but there are other counties in Illinois you better not be caught in with a gun. It's learning which counties they are. I don't want to find out...
    You don't carry in Peoria!

Links