Gun Law Wallet Reference Card

This is a discussion on Gun Law Wallet Reference Card within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, I'm looking for a set of "Reference cards" to go into my wallet that has the NC state gun laws. Actually Handgun, Concealed ...

Thread: Gun Law Wallet Reference Card

Gun Law Wallet Reference Card

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a set of "Reference cards" to go into my wallet that has the NC state gun laws. Actually Handgun, Concealed Carry and Deadly force laws to be exact.

If anyone has seen anything like this, please let me know.

If I don't hear anything in a couple days I'll try to make up some nice PDF's for us NC folks and share em here.

I figured having the laws handy in case you get pulled over or are involved in an incident, they could come in very handy. It seems recently I have heard a lot of stories about LEO's not being familiar with gun laws leading to very uncomfortable incidents. I'd prefer to avoid that if at all possible.

2. Remove Ads

I have never seen anything like that. The only thing I've got is a wallet sized US map showing what states I can carry in. If you make something, I'd love to have a copy.

I had this and carried it in my wallet until it wasted away. I need to get it again and laminate it. I mainly had it for open carry the few times I have done it. If you go to www.opencarry.org I believe that is where I printed it from. Also if you simply Google "NC Gun Laws" you will get what you are looking for.
    Take Care
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by joshuafuller View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for a set of "Reference cards" to go into my wallet that has the NC state gun laws. Actually Handgun, Concealed Carry and Deadly force laws to be exact.
    For incidents where the issue is something to the effect of:

Is a X state permit issued to a nonresident of that state valid here in state Y;

Is this weapon in its present configuration legal in this state/city;

Is it legal to have this weapon at this location/or worn openly;

I believe you are better served with a folder containing the text of the laws and attorney general opinions on 8.5"x11" paper, nicely highlighted and laminated for a reference guide to have in the pocket behind the driver's seat of the vehicle where you can tell the nice officer, "Excuse me, sir, I believe we can clear this up if you would simply check the folder behind the car seat and see pages tabbed in yellow, then check with your supervisor about the attorney general's opinion regarding out of state permit holders carrying a handgun, then check the page tabbed in blue about the openly carried handgun, and the one tabbed in green regarding the Office of Legislative Research's opinion stating their are, in fact, no restrictions on what a person may carry as to JHP ammo..."

Wallet cards are often cursory and unhelpful in complex situations by design.

As to having deadly force laws on hand, that's nice, but I see three problems with that.

1. You won't have time to consult the card when you need it;

2. You should be aware how that law is applied via caselaw and AG opinions, and that will be much more informative than merely reading statute to determine what you can and can not do. These issues have been hashed out on the backs and blood of others before you, so learn from those who did it before and got hung out to dry (or simply hung...).

For instance, if the law says something to the effect of "Before using deadly force a person must not have the option of retreating safely..." what does "option of retreating safely" actually mean?

If a judge has ruled to the effect of "If at any time, no matter how fleeting, the defender could have escaped, but did not, he has forsaken self defense and is now in violation of the use of the rules of deadly force..." then it would be more helpful to know THAT than merely statutory text.

3 If you use force, you shouldn't be trying to argue your actions to the police.

They know SOMETHING happened which resulted in someone going to the hospital and someone going to lockup.

You may or may not know what happened at the moment due to stress, fatigue, injury (Oh, yes, the police will try to get a statement from you after you have been injected with some morphine and being sewn up on the table with that huge gash in your forearm from the razor blade. I know, because that's how a case in my office went...) or any number of other factors.

Unless the issue is a simple factual issue that can be resolved from the plain meaning of what the word "is" is (or if an AR-15 is legal with a 14.5 inch barrel and a permanently attached flash suppressor making it over 16 inches is kosher...) then don't try to argue it.

I think it's a great idea. A reciprocity map on one side and a summary on the other. I live in Colorado but typically work in the backwoods in Louisiana and Mississippi. I drive through New Mexico and Texas to get to work. The laws vary a great deal from Colorado to Mississippi. For instance, only one loaded gun allowed in NM (no BUGs), no open carry in TX (it must be hidden), you must notify in some states, not so in others, etc. etc. A set of small cards would be great.

VIP Member
    I have one for Virginia (courtesy of VCDL). It includes places that are OFF-LIMITS for concealed carry.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I too would like a small set of cards with the most pertinent part of the laws on it. Right now I carry two 8 1/2 X 11 printed papers in my billfold, but know they woun't wear well or last too long.

Most SOs have a set of lawbooks handy for easy viewing or review IF and that's a big IF the officer will take the time and effort to verify the current laws.

Here locally, I find that many of the CCWs people knows more in regard to the CCW laws than the LEOs do. I'm not saying that they are anti-gun, just uninformed, because they have had little to no schooling in the CCW laws.

Have not seen anything like that but sounds great. If you so come across one please share.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

Just found on Opencarry.org

Just found this card on Opencarry.org. Take a look and see if it is what you are looking for.
    Attached Files
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

The constitutional and presidential quotes are taking up space on that card which could be filled with more useful information such as a reciprocity map or other statutes.

It's nice to have the constitutional quotes, but ask yourself this question: When you need information applicable to the situation at hand, what use are they?

There's one thing I disagree with on that sheet. "State Property."

"Although a person may have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, they are not authorized to carry that weapon anywhere they wish. The weapon may not be carried in the following areas:
    (1) any area prohibited by N.C.G.S. ァァ 14-269.3, 14-269.4, 14-277.2, or 120-32.1. (School grounds, areas where alcohol is sold and consumed, state property, legislative buildings, and public gatherings such as parades);"

GS_14-269.3: http://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislat..._14-269.3.html

GS_14-277.2: http://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislat..._14-277.2.html

120-31.1: http://law.justia.com/northcarolina/...120-32.1a.html

GS_14-269.4: http://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislat..._14-269.4.html
    14‑269.4. Weapons on State property and in courthouses.

It shall be unlawful for any person to possess, or carry, whether openly or concealed, any deadly weapon, not used solely for instructional or officially sanctioned ceremonial purposes in the State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western Residence of the Governor, or on the grounds of any of these buildings, and in any building housing any court of the General Court of Justice. If a court is housed in a building containing nonpublic uses in addition to the court, then this prohibition shall apply only to that portion of the building used for court purposes while the building is being used for court purposes.

This section shall not apply to:

(1) Repealed by S.L. 1997‑238, s. 3.

(1a) A person exempted by the provisions of G.S. 14‑269(b),

(2) through (4) Repealed by S.L. 1997‑238, s. 3.

(4a) Any person in a building housing a court of the General Court of Justice in possession of a weapon for evidentiary purposes, to deliver it to a law‑enforcement agency, or for purposes of registration,

(5) State‑owned rest areas, rest stops along the highways, and State‑owned hunting and fishing reservations.

Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. (1981, c. 646; 1987, c. 820, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 166; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 1997‑238, s. 3.)
    This does not specify all State buildings, but rather specifics. This would not include things such as state museums, etc. I see people everywhere claiming that all State-owned buildings are off-limits, but I fail to actually find that in the law.

Maybe replace the second amendment with the definitions...that would be helpful...

Links