Coloring Night Sights?

This is a discussion on Coloring Night Sights? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my wonderful gun happened to have come with night sights. i live my night sights, but i would rather than my rear sights were a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coloring Night Sights?

Coloring Night Sights?

my wonderful gun happened to have come with night sights.
    i live my night sights, but i would rather than my rear sights were a different color than the front sights. i dont think i can buy just rear sights nor would i spend that much just for a little color.
    any idea as to how i can color the back ones?

2. Remove Ads

Smile coloring sights

There are colors of bright paints available at most places like Hobby Lobby or other hobby outlets that you can use. Also there are paints sold for much higher costs. Try some of these. They work on my guns. Some are irredicent and glow, but not in the dark. The cheaper ones work fine. I don't know the advantage of the more expensive that are sold for guns but they may be better. Both are fairly inexpensive.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    These guys sell night sites, and will install them for you, provided you're willing to send your slide to them. They also offer FREE replacement of their tritium vials for life, which is pretty cool. Check it out, might help you out.

The problem I've noticed with fluorescent paint is that it has to absorb light energy in order to work. So, if you carry your pistol concealed all day, and then put it on the bed table at night, it has no chance to absorb light... so the sites won't glow... furthermore, even if it does absorb light, it'll weaken over time...

http://www.mmcsight.com/index.htm

Hope this helps,

Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

do you think if i put a watered down, thin layer of paint on them that the tritium will shine through them, so they still always glow?

Administrator
    What color are they now and what color do you want to change them to?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

now all 3 are green. i want the rear sights to be something different so that i can train to focus on the front one more easily

Take a small drop of a brashly colored fingernail polish and apply to either side of the front sight. Our bookkeeper at work is an orange-blooded Tennessee Vols fan and had the perfect orange fingernail polish to stoke my front sight. It really helps the focus.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

thats really interesting, I thought that my only option was too buy more colors :)
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

nail polish is a good idea. specially since its nice and removable.
    only problem is that i dont have any.
    my roomate is less of a tom boy. ill have to ask her

You could also try those highlight markers for neon blackboards.

I'd go with the nail polish as well. They also sell some semi transparent paints for hobbiest. Look where they sell model cars, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Douthit View Post
    There are colors of bright paints available at most places like Hobby Lobby or other hobby outlets that you can use. Also there are paints sold for much higher costs. Try some of these. They work on my guns. Some are irredicent and glow, but not in the dark. The cheaper ones work fine. I don't know the advantage of the more expensive that are sold for guns but they may be better. Both are fairly inexpensive.
    My XD sights were pitted so I tried some hobby paint bad idea had to dig it all back out. Did find some phosphorous Duracoat, which is gun paint and the phosphorous will glow forever. Now you better be sure you like the color because my understanding is there is no getting that off. I ended up getting a TRUGLO TFO set of sights since the fiber optics will help me see in day light

I do not know about the nail polish idea it may work but may also dim the sight. You can buy just rear or front sights that is what I would do. May cost a little extra but than what is your life worth?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

[QUOTE=LongRider;503430]My XD sights were pitted so I tried some hobby paint bad idea had to dig it all back out. Did find some phosphorous Duracoat, which is gun paint and the phosphorous will glow forever. Now you better be sure you like the color because my understanding is there is no getting that off. QUOTE]

Dremel with abrasive will get it off...

The fingernail polish should not be put "in" the glowing depression on your sight. It should be applied above and below the dot. Break Free has not taken off the polish after a dozen cleanings.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

my sights are not pitted so whatever i mess up i should be able to remove ok. and yea, once i get to it i will first put it so it covers the while area btwn the black sights and the tritium and see if that works well enough

Quote Originally Posted by citizen510 View Post
    Dremel with abrasive will get it off...:
    Are you sure? What I have been reading that stuff is wicked hard and bonds to the metal so that it does not come off without grinding the metal down some.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    my sights are not pitted so whatever i mess up i should be able to remove ok. and yea, once i get to it i will first put it so it covers the while area btwn the black sights and the tritium and see if that works well enough
    Sorry I must have misstated. I repainted my stock iron sights (not tritium sights ) because they were pitted, made them look lopsided. I dug out & cleaned all the original paint and repainted with fluorescent paint. Did a great job if I say so myself but the result was worthless worst than plain white. Just saying fluorescent hobby paint did not work for me. If I was to paint again I would use gun paint like DuraGlo Phosphorescent Night Sight Paint . But I decided that the TFO fiber optic night sights with red rear and green front would be the best way to go. Gives me enhanced daylight sights and tritium night sights. My thoughts for you is if the nail polish idea does not work, maybe replace the front sight with a fiber optic / tritium sight.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links