NC reciprocity

This is a discussion on NC reciprocity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Taken from http://www.ncdoj.com/law_enforcement...eciprocity.jsp # Disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit when you are approached or addressed by any law enforcement ...

Thread: NC reciprocity

NC reciprocity

Taken from http://www.ncdoj.com/law_enforcement...eciprocity.jsp

# Disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit when you are approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer in North Carolina
    # Inform the officer that you are in possession of a concealed handgun.
    # Present both the permit and valid identification at the request of an officer
    NOTE: You should not attempt to display either your weapon or your permit unless directed to by an officer.

SO how do you accomplish the these 3 without presenting your CWP?
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Both times I have been stopped while armed after pulling over I rolled down the window then kept both hands on the wheel. After the officer approached I informed him that I had a concealed carry permit and I was armed and asked how he would like to proceed. Since my weapon is carried just in front of my wallet I was asked to slowly remove my weapon and place it on the passenger seat, then to present my drivers license and permit. Still got a ticket though. All in all no problems.

This is obviously a typo. What they mean is don't go reaching for the gun unless directed by the officer or things could go bad for you real quick. Trust me you won't like a 'Felony Stop' being performed on you!!! I have been pulled over once, after telling the officer he asked where it was, I told him on my hip, He said okay and proceeded. Never asked for the gun to be relocated, unloaded or anything. Not sure this is how I would have handled it but hey he who hits the blue light is in control.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

From what I can tell:

Officer walks up and asks for ID or what ever - You answer Officer I have a valid CWP and a weapon on me. (You have complied with the first two parts of the instructions)

Be sure you keep your hands where he can see them and if he wants to see either the CWP, ID or the gun he will tell you what to do. The third part of the instructions is when he requests either, not immediately. He will probably ask where your gun is, so don't go making any funny moves or you may see his a lot closer than you want to.

No typo...it says
    # Present both the permit and valid identification at the request of an officer
    NOTE: You should not attempt to display either your weapon or your permit unless directed to by an officer.

When I got stopped a few months ago. I tuned on the interior light hands at 10 and 2, informed the officer I had a permit and was carrying on my right hip where my wallet was also located. He asked to see my drivers license, asked where I was headed and sent me on my way.

Note: Even if not carrying you must inform the officer that you have a permit..
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

Links