Traveling to Maryland. Question.

This is a discussion on Traveling to Maryland. Question. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be heading to Western Maryland this weekend and was wondering if I should just leave the gun at home. I have a Ky ccw ...

I'll be heading to Western Maryland this weekend and was wondering if I should just leave the gun at home. I have a Ky ccw license and can't really get a feel for what the Md laws are. Can I take it with me and just lock it in the trunk in a lockable case separate from the ammunition or just play it safe and leave it at home?

I used to live in MD. You have to be legal at your destination from what I understand. Hotel is a no go, but family/friends would be fine. Def lock unloaded in the trunk while in transit.

Well, after doing a search of this site for Md info it looks like I'll be leaving the gun at home. We are actually stopping about 15 miles into Md and spending the night while attending a friends post wedding party.
    Unbelievable that during a 10 hour round trip journey through 4 states I will have to forgo personal protection because of what amounts to a 15 minute trip into Md.

That's MD.
    I live here.
    You can't take a hand gun to a friend’s house unless you are a Maryland Firearms Collector. You are protected under Federal law as long as you don’t stop. No gas, food, taking a leak or flat tires allowed.
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon51 View Post
    That's MD.
    I live here.
    You can't take a hand gun to a friend’s house unless you are a Maryland Firearms Collector. You are protected under Federal law as long as you don’t stop. No gas, food, taking a leak or flat tires allowed.
    I don't know about that. I used to live in Maryland. Why wouldn't the OP be legal at his destination in MD? People are legally allowed to own handguns in MD, so if he stores/transports it according to MD law, he'd be fine. Are MD residents the only people allowed to own handguns in MD? I wasn't technically a state resident of MD (military) and I went shooting all the time. Never a problem.

http://www.nraila.org/recmap/marylandrec.pdf

Other states recognize MD, but MD recognizes no one. You must apply for out of state. If you ask me, anything east of LaVale is MD, west of it is WV.

Maryland has the same problem as Illinois. Washington D.C. and Chicago, respectively.

You should take account of the amount of personal risk if you carry into a not so populated area of MD. If you can burn a tire at the reception, that may tell you something?

IMHO

He can take it to a gun range, a gun smith, or a shooting event. Only a bonafide MD collector may transport a hand gun in order to display it. You do not need to be a MD resident to become a bonafide collector, you just fill out a form, have it notarized, sign the statement that you are a collector of firearms and that's it. It only cost a stamp. Now you can take a firearm to your buddies home to show it to him.

You may not have a firearm in a hotel room in Maryland.
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon51 View Post

You may not have a firearm in a hotel room in Maryland.
    Sounds like the California technique applies in Maryland. Just don't go there!

Links