I Haven't Had a Good Rant In Some Time - Page 5

I Haven't Had a Good Rant In Some Time

This is a discussion on I Haven't Had a Good Rant In Some Time within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by limatunes recommend a .38 and talk her OUT of the .357 that she had been eye-balling Big mistake I made was buying ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    recommend a .38 and talk her OUT of the .357 that she had been eye-balling
    Big mistake I made was buying my wife a .38 instead of the 357. She'll never actually fire a magnum, but since the .38 round works in both, it would give me better confidence of safety when she loads +Ps

VIP Member
    wow Lima, I'm surprised the guy wasn't missing some teeth or had his nose laying on the side of his face
    boss or no boss, if somebody grabs for/repeatedly pats my weapon my elbow gets introduced to their face and they may come away not being able to open a door with their hand
    thats absolutely absurd that they would not allow you to carry
    and the ATF excuse is just what you said....complete BS

.....and +1 to your other rant topics!
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I think if you and your husband opened your own store, you would have ALL the female buyers come to you that are looking for a weapon. You can talk with them in an intelligent manner without all the macho stuff. You have experience in what works for a woman and what may not (women have different body types than men; and I, for one, am glad; tell my wife that all the time).
    I am amazed that the older guy can still talk and see. You have better emotional control than I would have (lol).
    Please keep us informed on any developments with your job and this incident.

wyo-man

If I spent all of my time straightening out mis-information someone erroneously speaks about guns and ballistics, I would never get anything done. When I go to a shop, take a female prospective buyer in or the like, all I ask is, hand me what I want to see, then, shut the heck up. You are not going to tell me something I don't already know, and most likely just ruin a sale. I don't butt into other's conversations, just smile and keep on my own business. If you ask, I will give one my opinion, otherwise, your life, live it.
    My primary shop learned that early on, and he continues to make many sales. I am happy, his cash register is happy, and the stars are aligned in the universe.
    I don't learn anything here on this forum either, but I do find some interesting banter that goes on, and speaking of mis-information.....
    Five knives humm...interesting.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Okay, NOW I am pissed. I never really liked that place, but it was, and for all intents and purposes is, the only game in town. If that bigoted old fart lays another hand on you I suggest you file charges, and use the settlement to finance your OWN store - preferably somewhere closer to my house.

VIP Member
    I'm sure everyone here is glad to absorb your rants and raves. It's great to have somewhere like this to go where people understand. I believe if your going to have to deal with that bafoon working there, I'd be looking elsewhere. Laying a hand on you is where the line was drawn. Good luck to you.

OD*
    He said that the ATF requires every gun to be brought into his store to be logged into their books
    That is absolute bull.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Hi limatunes,
    your first rant about not being able to carry in a pro-gun establishment make me think about our local gun show. Apparently, no one can carry a loaded firearm into the show. I am headed tomorrow again to the show and will verify that a person with a concealed carry permit is still not allowed to carry into a gun show!
    It is for safety reasons and not creating a problem with the general public, etc. but still seems a bit strange.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Not allowing guns to be carried in a place of business may be their right but grabbing you is quite another matter. I believe it's called assault. Someone should lose his job over that. Just reading about it p----s me off big time.
    If somebody grabbed my gun they would likely have a broken wrist... and I might file a complaint with LEO at the same time.

EDIT: So it was GUN SHOP that won't let you carry? That's asinine.

I'm sorry of your financial situation requires you to continue working there... but after reading the additional explanation, the guy needs a punch in the snoot. I would have called the cops, seriously...
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

my .02

Lima
    I believe you handled the situation well. I do hope you and your husband can eventually open your own shop. I believe another poster mentioned teaching. I think you should get certified as an instructer and teach the women (and men) in that area the proper techniques of concealed carry and gun safety. Good luck in your future endeavers.

EW3
    Lima,
    When you open your own shop...put him out of business! That would be the perfect payback...

I like the idea of a female friendly shop where women can get a decent gun and training without all the usual BS and misinformation.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" Ė George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Limatunes,
    My daughter and her boyfriend are taking a First Steps handgun safety course at my shooting club in a couple of weeks and both plan to get their VA CHPs. I gave her a link to your website so she can read up on your experiences with firearms and carrying. I also suggested she read your posts on this forum; they're always well written, informative and thought provoking.

In your position, I would ask other store employees (those unrelated to the owners' family) if they carry and if they do it with the knowledge of the owners. If so, you are being discriminated against, either because of your sex or because you're a new hire. Every employee of every gun store I've ever visited was armed; I just don't get what is going on there. I would also insist on being clearly told what the policy is on employees carrying on duty.

I have trouble buying anything for my wife because she is so selective and has to be part of the buying decision. When I bought my .40 Glock 23, I also bought her a .32 Beretta Tomcat (as in incentive to apply for her permit). I thought the tip up barrel would appeal to her, but she started right in with questions about stopping power. I admitted that with that small caliber she would need to empty the magazine to stop a large angry aggressor. The pocket holster I got for her (for purse carry) has a spare magazine pocket built in so she'll have enough shots to get out of trouble. She's unhappy with it and wants a 9 mm Glock 19. The deal now is, if she'll get her permit she'll get the G19. Then the Tomcat will transfer to our daughter, who loves it.

Limatunes Rant

Limatunes,

I agree with you on all counts. I am so sorry for the terrible indecent at your workplace. I can not imagine the stress that caused. I hope that you and your husband are very successful in your business venture. It may take time to get started, so don't give up.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

This wouldn't happen to be Gilberts would it? I have seen employees carrying in there, but they are all OC. I know Gilberts does not allow carry in the store unless you are a LEO. Which to me is stupid, as they have a gun range. So when I want to go shoot my carry gun, I have to unholster, place in range bag, walk through the door and take 15 steps then put the gun back in my holster.

Feel free to PM that answer.

Senior Moderator
    No, not Gilberts... I don't even know where that is, but that does seem weird.

What's weird here is that customers can carry all they want, whether it's concealed or open... just the employees can't.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links