Oh man I feel bad - Page 3

Oh man I feel bad

This is a discussion on Oh man I feel bad within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I also had the n.d. experiance and felt like a ******* for a couple of weeks, o.k. a month. what was the damage to the ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oh man I feel bad

I also had the n.d. experiance and felt like a ******* for a couple of weeks, o.k. a month.

what was the damage to the safe or its contents?
    Guns don't kill people , compounded interest kills people

Thank you for sharing your experience. Glad no one was hurt and a lesson learned.

wyo-man

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    This thing is nothing more than a crutch, a false sense of security. For the record, this is what my friend had in his gun when he had a ND and almost shot me. Guess what, it didn't work! In fact, it made it worse because of the false sense of security. Where does it say in the four rules to use a plug?

Just follow the rules and all is good.
    Ti
    How in the world with that in the barrel could he have an ND?

LB glad you and friends are okay, no matter how embarrasing a lesson you can learn from is better than one you can't.

I know it’s embarrassing to post this type of experience because you know we’re going to spank you for it, but thanks for exposing yourself. We learn from your mistake. PeacefulJeffrey may come down hard, but he’s right. Let’s all tell ourselves that this was our own ND and learn our “will never happen to me” lesson from it.

yes, one round in the chamber should be standard, peacefuljeffery, but to cure the problem of the possible ND is the same as curing the human defect called imperfection. The best we can do is do our best. I may be just justifying my own incident years ago but I don't think I'm too far off the mark in my analysis. I once was freinds with a LCpl who was fanatical about gun safety, as we all should be. He shot himself in the thigh with his own personal 45 (we had gone to the 9's by then). I packed that wound for 2 months. I don't know if the same instilled fear could occur just by imagining it (it's one hell of a heart stopper). Still worth a try though.

I never said that Glocks were any more dangerous than any other pistol including revolvers. I simply said that Glocks were not safe just because you have learned to keep you finger off the trigger. This is the same whit any gun and is one of the four rules. Learning to keep you finger off the off the trigger doesn't guarantee that you will keep it off.

Not having one in the chamber may not be the generally accepted way to carry but you aren't better off without it if there isn't one in the chamber.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Previous life...training taught me to pull the slide 3 times for clearing...if you had done this...obviously a round would of ejected...hopefully warning you. Glad no one got hurt but a few frazzled nerves.

Rick

Glad everyone was OK.

I'm sure that you have come down harder on yourself than Peaceful Jeffrey did but that's good. You shouldn't minimize what you did.

I have to disagree with the poster who believes you should never dry fire the gun as a last check. I do this everytime I pick up or put down my guns. In fact, when you clean a Glock, you HAVE TO PULL THE TRIGGER before you disassemble the gun, so why shy away from it?

I lock the slide back, check the mag well, then both visually and with my finger check the chamber to make absolutely sure the gun is unloaded. Then I rack the slide 3 or 4 times.

When I am absolutely sure the gun is unloaded, I point it to the basement wall (underground, of course) and pull the trigger.

If I have done my job, I hear a click. If I haven't done my job, I hear a BANG but the bullet causes no real harm (other than the hearing issue).

Then and only then will I lock the slide back and hand the gun to another person. I don't know what they will do with the gun, so I will make triple sure it is unloaded.

The reason we have the redundancy is that human beings make mistakes.

When I hear someone say, "it will never happen to me", I think that either 1) they know it CAN happen to them so they follow every safety rule religiously to make sure it WON't happen or that they are 2) too arrogant to be handling firearms.

I don't think I will ever have a ND because I know it would be very easy to have one, if that makes sense.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Assistant Administrator
    Honesty and sharing of the incident is laudable - if only because it is something to bring everyone up a notch if they are perhaps getting in the least complacent.

Armchair judgement is easy as always - but we are fallible humans who can sometimes screw up, and reminders are always useful.

at least you followed one of the rules and kept it pointed in a safe direction...
    Hot Guns effectively highlights my #1 priority, which means that if all else fails re safety then at least if muzzle points safe there is no injury, other than to pride
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Longbow View Post
    But it will not replace checking and double checking them when I pull them out for inspection or to go shooting. Longbow
    That, I am glad to read.

VIP Member
    It happens esp with distraction. A lot of Marines had been shot with unloaded .45 1911's.

Well "longbow" at least nobody got hurt, your pride will heal.

I also wanted to say i really like your slogan:

"You show your Kimbers, Colts, Springfields, and Brownings off to your friends.
    You show your Glock to your enemies."

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    When I hear someone say, "it will never happen to me", I think that either 1) they know it CAN happen to them so they follow every safety rule religiously to make sure it WON't happen or that they are 2) too arrogant to be handling firearms.
    Count me as the former, not the latter.

Part of the "trick" is to be always willing to STOP yourself, to slooooow it all down, and CHECK CAREFULLY. That means you say, "Whoah. Okay now. Is the mag out? It is. Good. I can see with the slide locked back all the way through the gun. Okay now. Is there a round in the chamber? No. I can see there isn't, and here's my pinkie finger probing to feel that there isn't. Okay now. I'm ready to release the slide. Mag is over there on the table. Okay now. The slide is closed. I can see that there is no mag in the bottom of the grip from which a fresh round could have been loaded. Okay now. I'm clear to pull the trigger as soon as I have pointed the gun in a safe direction."

THAT is what I do, and how I do it. SLOWLY. DELIBERATELY. And if I've put the gun away and then take it out later and want, for some reason, to dry fire it (for practice, for example) or to take the gun down, I go through it all again. DELIBERATELY. With a WILLINGNESS TO DO IT LIKE I'M TEACHING IT TO A KINDERGARTNER. No arrogance allowed. Only humility. A willingness to do it the slow and goofy-seeming way, the dorky way, so that I never negligently hurt or kill anyone (self included) or damage property.

In fact, I fly the same way and I drive the same way. I've been flying as a licensed pilot since 2002, and for a while before that as a student. I still do everything, from my preflight check to my landing and shutdown, USING A DORKY LAMINATED CHECKLIST. Why? I'm experienced, and I know how to do these things from memory. But the sucky thing about memory is that when it fails, even momentarily, it convinces you that it has NOT failed. And that's when you forget something crucial and you get screwed.

My best advice when it comes to safety?
    Be willing to seem like a dork, and do the dorky step-by-steps that all the "experienced" people feel are only for newbies.
    Do that all your life, and you'll live a safe and long one.

Blue skies!

I guess I have to wonder about those who say take the mags out, keep them separated from the guns, lock them in a safe etc. This is pretty standard advice and good advice...... except how useful is it for SD when you have a home invasion? I always keep one of my guns on a beside table. The one thing I don't do is keep a round in the chamber.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    I guess I have to wonder about those who say take the mags out, keep them separated from the guns, lock them in a safe etc. This is pretty standard advice and good advice...... except how useful is it for SD when you have a home invasion? I always keep one of my guns on a beside table. The one thing I don't do is keep a round in the chamber.
    Easy answer. We are talking about guns stored in a safe. If they are in the safe, they are not very useful for SD anyway... no reason to store loaded.

Your SD gun should always be at the ready, and you know and check it often enough to ensure that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links