Oh man I feel bad - Page 4

Oh man I feel bad

This is a discussion on Oh man I feel bad within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Easy answer. We are talking about guns stored in a safe. If they are in the safe, they are not very ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oh man I feel bad

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Easy answer. We are talking about guns stored in a safe. If they are in the safe, they are not very useful for SD anyway... no reason to store loaded.
    My 'safe' is one of those with the easy access finger buttons. It takes less than two seconds to access the guns inside. I keep [the only other gun] with one in the chamber and the magazine in place (or the revolver loaded) while the other is next to my bed or within easy reach during the day.

Anyway, all guns are always loaded.

Administrator
    Good job, you deserve a cookie.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Good job, you deserve a cookie.
    Nice! I prefer chocolate chip.

Hi Guys, and thanks again for all the great comments and advice.
    I had the opportunity today wile working (Clients that want things yesterday) to ponder allot of things and to realize just how lucky I was that no one was hurt. I honestly don't know how or if I could handle things if one of the people I love was hurt do to my complacency. My attitude and gun handling practices have changed dramatically wile at home, I think one of the biggest things I have learned from this is the FACT that what is excepted and safe at the range when practicing with the IDPA or USPSA guys does not translate into safe gun handling at home. I will take to heart and start practicing some of the safety practices that some of you have talked about here. I really don't know what else to say. Yes it was hard to make this post. Heck I'm a grown man and I do have allot of pride. And take allot of pride in what I have learned over the last few years about guns. But I am certainly no expert. But if I can learn more from you guys and if someone can learn from what I have done. Then yes by all means I will be glad to eat some humble pie.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    This thing is nothing more than a crutch, a false sense of security. For the record, this is what my friend had in his gun when he had a ND and almost shot me. Guess what, it didn't work! In fact, it made it worse because of the false sense of security. Where does it say in the four rules to use a plug?
    Ti
    Of course.... Let's not use triggerlocks or gunsafes either , let's just depend on
    Everyone being as perfect as you and Peaceful Jeffrey...
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Tnx for posting this mishap LB..I have soaked in all the good advice that everyone has offed..I love learning!

Quote Originally Posted by Tindjin View Post
    How in the world with that in the barrel could he have an ND?

LB glad you and friends are okay, no matter how embarrasing a lesson you can learn from is better than one you can't.

Feel free to look up my thread about this I believe it was in the General Discussion forum.

I will give a run down as to what happened.

My friend loaded a mag, loaded his gun, put it in the safe and inserted a "safety plug" in the chamber and left it like that for a few week's. He then goes to the range, forget's all about loading a loaded magazine when he put it in the safe, wanted to show me his new gun at the range, pulled the slide back to pull the plug out and apparently loading a round at the same time. He has a very nasty habit of pulling the trigger or at least putting his finger on the trigger EVERYTIME he pick a weapon up and the gun went off. It was not pointed in a safe direction and I am lucky to be alive today.

My point about the plug is it gave him a false sense of security, if it wasn't in there this might not have happened. Although, with a finger on the trigger all the time it is going to happen and will happen again. I don't shoot with him anymore and keep my distance.

Ti
    Last edited by Ti Carry; October 22nd, 2007 at 07:37 PM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    I guess I have to wonder about those who say take the mags out, keep them separated from the guns, lock them in a safe etc. This is pretty standard advice and good advice...... except how useful is it for SD when you have a home invasion? I always keep one of my guns on a beside table. The one thing I don't do is keep a round in the chamber.
    I have always thought that keeping the mags locked up separately is overkill, a little bit paranoid. If the reason is to prevent unauthorized access and to keep interlopers (be they children, friends, or invaders) then I can see it. But if the reason is because you fear what you might do, yourself, if the ammo is too near to the gun... well...

Administrator
    Let's please try to keep the discussion polite and respectful toward other fellow members.
    I don't think the mild sarcasm is really adding much to this particular thread.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Just goes to show the rest of us, it could happen to anyone! (But that was a ND not an AD! )
    Thanks for sharing bro, it sure makes me think twice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    First, you need to understand the difference between an AD and a ND. Another poster already corrected you letting you know it was a Negligent Discharge and not an Accidental Discharge but didn't describe the difference.
    Ti
    I don't believe he called it an AD. I think he said ND from the get-go.
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Count me as the former, not the latter.

Part of the "trick" is to be always willing to STOP yourself, to slooooow it all down, and CHECK CAREFULLY. That means you say, "Whoah. Okay now. Is the mag out? It is. Good. I can see with the slide locked back all the way through the gun. Okay now. Is there a round in the chamber? No. I can see there isn't, and here's my pinkie finger probing to feel that there isn't. Okay now. I'm ready to release the slide. Mag is over there on the table. Okay now. The slide is closed. I can see that there is no mag in the bottom of the grip from which a fresh round could have been loaded. Okay now. I'm clear to pull the trigger as soon as I have pointed the gun in a safe direction."

THAT is what I do, and how I do it. SLOWLY. DELIBERATELY. And if I've put the gun away and then take it out later and want, for some reason, to dry fire it (for practice, for example) or to take the gun down, I go through it all again. DELIBERATELY. With a WILLINGNESS TO DO IT LIKE I'M TEACHING IT TO A KINDERGARTNER. No arrogance allowed. Only humility. A willingness to do it the slow and goofy-seeming way, the dorky way, so that I never negligently hurt or kill anyone (self included) or damage property.

In fact, I fly the same way and I drive the same way. I've been flying as a licensed pilot since 2002, and for a while before that as a student. I still do everything, from my preflight check to my landing and shutdown, USING A DORKY LAMINATED CHECKLIST. Why? I'm experienced, and I know how to do these things from memory. But the sucky thing about memory is that when it fails, even momentarily, it convinces you that it has NOT failed. And that's when you forget something crucial and you get screwed.

My best advice when it comes to safety?
    Be willing to seem like a dork, and do the dorky step-by-steps that all the "experienced" people feel are only for newbies.
    Do that all your life, and you'll live a safe and long one.

Blue skies!
    I wish you had posted this first; then I could have saved all the typing!

I like the especially like the "slow it all down" part. I think its posible that Longbow got distracted because of all the people watching him "unload".

Just like the ATF agent who shot himself in the foot. I really don't believe he was a TOTAL idiot; I think he just had extreme stage fright.

With all the people watching, he just couldn't concentrate on the task at hand.

We all need to force ourselves to slow down and take the job of checking the condition of our firearms very seriously.

I haven't flown in years but when I did, I also used the dorky laminated checklist for the 172. The idea of flying to the crash site bothered me enough to be very methodical in my pre-flight.

We should have our mental checklist for loading and unloading a gun ready and available at all time, too!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Nothing goes in the safe loaded, at all. All actions are open, and pistols are stored on a homemade rack. That way, when reaching in you can tell instantly that its empty. This doesnt replace the basic rules, but it does add another layer of security.

Glad everything turned out OK, maybe it was a needed wake up call. (We all need one once in a while.)
    Hey, SIXTO, I'm not as practiced here in this shooting arena, but getting there. I try to shoot a few times a month. We've always just kept them unloaded in the safe, but not visibly so. I'm going to head up there now and open all the actions...(well, all three of them anyway) I appreciate the excellent advice. ~MJ

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Of course.... Let's not use triggerlocks or gunsafes either , let's just depend on
    Everyone being as perfect as you and Peaceful Jeffrey...
    You know, I've been censured and sent PMs by moderators for a lot less than that.

If my points have not become clear to you in all this time, and a few dozen posts, I guess you won't be understanding me and my viewpoint any time soon.

But I don't understand why an obvious personal slam like that is allowed to stand. The things I have said with regard to NDs have not been personal chides at all. They have simply been my views about the excuses people make, and what I see as the lack of validity of some of them. Everything I say remains open to discussion and polite challenge. What you are doing is impolite.

If you can snidely refer to me as "perfect," should I be able to start calling those who've had NDs "morons" or something? Or would you be running to a moderator?

As far as that yellow doohickie is concerned, I just don't see the utility.

How would that protect anyone against having an ND after the point where they HAVE loaded their gun?? I mean, that's all well and good for making sure that an unloaded gun is clear. But don't lots of these NDs happen with people handling their CCW guns? Don't they happen a lot under circumstance where it's fair to assume a gun should be loaded, or at least could be?

If the use of that yellow thing is to provide for certain knowledge that a gun kept in a gun safe is clear of ammunition, then I see a degradation in gun safety rather than an improvement. If people use an artificial means to safety as a replacement for "drop the mag, rack the slide, check the chamber," then we are not moving forward, we are moving backward. No gimmicky doodad is good enough to replace the very simple practices that guarantee safety.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    And now this thread is sliding down hill even faster.

I nominate it for a thread close.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links