Oh man I feel bad

This is a discussion on Oh man I feel bad within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll buy everybody a cookie once its all over....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Oh man I feel bad

Administrator
    I'll buy everybody a cookie once its all over.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'll buy everybody a cookie once its all over.
    Maybe we should start an ND/AD cookie fund.

The OP has to put $5 in the fund for having an ND/AD.

Everyone who wants to respond with something other than "Oh man, sorry to hear that. Glad everyone is ok." will have to place a $1 in the fund.

When its all over, then we get cookies with the funds.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow View Post
    well I pull the slide back, look in the camber to make sure it is clear, let it go, and out of habit I dry fire it in a safe direction, BOOOM!!! well guess what? I didn't drop the mag first.
    Forgive me, but I don't understand how you can check the chamber and NOT see a big, juicy, shiny .45 ACP round sitting at the top of the mag waiting for insertion. Checking the chamber isn't only checking the "chamber". To be safe, consider the "chamber" to be the entire area from chamber block, back through the loading area to the breech face.

In the future, lock the slide back and not only visually/physically inspect the chamber area as described above, but LOOK down the mag well and make darned sure you're seeing "floor".

Remember, even if you depress the mag release, not all guns have drop free mags, especially if there's only a round or two in it and not up to fully loaded weight. Then, if desired, insert an inspected UN-loaded mag for a function check. I do this to test the slide lock periodically and/or for a pistol that has a magazine disconnect.

These procedures have worked for me for a very long time without incident. Glad you learned from your experience and no one was hurt.
    Last edited by covertfolder; October 22nd, 2007 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taggart View Post
    I don't believe he called it an AD. I think he said ND from the get-go.
    Believe what you want but the original post started with "I had an AD" this would be called using the edit button when he was corrected and changed it. I read the original post before anyone even posted to the thread and know what it said not that it matters because people get them confused.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Let's please try to keep the discussion polite and respectful toward other fellow members.
    I don't think the mild sarcasm is really adding much to this particular thread.
    Hey QK,

If you are going to delete post's for mild sarcasm, why don't you delete the post that started the sarcasm? I didn't draw first blood!

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    Believe what you want but the original post started with "I had an AD" this would be called using the edit button when he was corrected and changed it. I read the original post before anyone even posted to the thread and know what it said not that it matters because people get them confused.

Ti
    +1 I noticed that "edit", too, and the very last line in the OP's post substantiates that.

Administrator

Just FYI

I have not deleted anything or edited anything in this thread nor has any member asked to edit anything.

I don't want the thread to get sidetracked with members getting hotheaded at each other which is beginning to happen & I think it would be better if that stopped from this point forward. That's all.

girls, girls, come on! Kiss and make up. PJ is like a DI named Bloodworth I once knew. He ran me around by my nose (literally)and he was set in his ways. We didn't all agree with him but we needed him as a contrast. A little sarcasm is good for debate . The banana makes no sense, but I love that damn thing and have been dying to insert it somewhere (shutup).

Just to get back on topic:
    1. Glad you had muzzle awareness and no one was hurt.
    2. Racking the slide before dropping the mag seems like a common reason for an ND.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    When clearing a semi-auto, rack the slide multiple times! When those little shiny metal cylinders start flying out of the ejection port, you will know you did not drop the magazine. It really only takes a few extra seconds.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Maybe we should start an ND/AD cookie fund.

The OP has to put $5 in the fund for having an ND/AD.

Everyone who wants to respond with something other than "Oh man, sorry to hear that. Glad everyone is ok." will have to place a $1 in the fund.
    So, people who have something valid to say about safety have to pay money, and people who just want to pat someone on the back for having been unsafe get a pass? I don't think so.

I'm not going to get charged a dollar to tell the truth. God forbid, instead of just making empty, hollow expressions of sympathy we should try to move safe gun handling practices forward and get the word out.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    Just to get back on topic:
    1. Glad you had muzzle awareness and no one was hurt.
    2. Racking the slide before dropping the mag seems like a common reason for an ND.
    Common, but completely baffling.

Now, regarding #1...
    I just don't see how "muzzle awareness" in a case of an ND is anything but LUCK. I mean, are we trying to believe that even though the user is not paying attention to trigger control, or whether the mag is dropped, or whether he had even opened the slide to observe an empty chamber with no round waiting to be inserted, he for some reason did decide to point the gun in a safe direction? Or is it easier to believe that the gun happened to be pointed in a safe direction. I've read here about people who have put rounds through walls, or computers... Rare is the ND I've read about where a person unexpectedly fired a shot and told us that it was ok because the round went right into that safe direction he had been planning for just in case he had failed to unload the gun. I offer that people having NDs generally just get lucky when nothing precious is hit, because I don't believe that they are assiduously sticking to the "safe direction" rule but somehow managing to overlook the "unload the damned GUN" rule.

I just think about how that would feel to do. I'm holding a gun that I DID NOT CLEAR, and pointing it down at the floor, or the baseboard or something, thinking, "Hyuck hyuck, I'm being SAFE because I'm going to dry-fire this gun I haven't deliberately emptied in a 'safe directon.' " Is that about how it would go?

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post

Ti
    Well, I'm not "believing" anything. Conspiracy theories aside, I didn't, in fact, noticed that he had edited the post. My bad for not noticing and I stand corrected. And my bad for continuing this thread.
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Yes I did edit my original post from AD to ND because I stood corrected.

I screwed up and I am dealing with it.

Thank again for the support, concern and the good advice that has been given.

Mods, it won't brake my heart if you would like to lock this one up.

Longbow
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

1943 - 2009
    Mods, it won't brake my heart if you would like to lock this one up.
    Consider it done, pard.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links